Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Will I regret going from MY99 to MY02 ???

Search this Thread

Old 19 October 2002, 05:38 PM
Trumble
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Someone help me out here please.

Ive been in my MY99 fopr nearly 3 years and its been fantastic. I cant knock it at all.

BUT

I had a test drive in an MY02 today and it was "different", and just didnt feel the same.

OK now I do have a PPP BB and TSL GRPN+ discs but I'd hardly call it over modded!

There was no turbo wind up noise and I might even go so far to say that at 80 mph (hypothetically of course!) putting my foot down in top it hardly jumped forward.

Am I expecting to much.

Dont get me wrong I thought it handled a lot better round roundabouts - I only have 16" std wheels.

If I went for a MY02 those bug eyes would go in place of morrettes and I would have to have a SS or TSL system + the brakes.

Help me out here please.

T.
Old 19 October 2002, 05:42 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

They are two different cars the new shape cars are heavier but a bit more refined. I liek my raw My00 but then I dont use it everyday. You will need the PPP kit IMHO to bring you back to MY99 UK spec without a PPP (just to negate the weight). Be careful MY03 will appear soon unless you can get a awesome deal think carefully about it.

[Edited by chrisp - 10/19/2002 5:43:49 PM]
Old 19 October 2002, 06:59 PM
bumcrack
Scooby Regular

Cool

The O2 and 01 are to fat and lardy, it needs to go on a diet
Old 19 October 2002, 07:32 PM
Yorkie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I speak from experience here. I went from a MY99 (my first Scoob) to a MY02 earlier this year and I can tell you they are two different cars. At the end of the day it is what you want from a performance car that will dictate whether you stay with the MY99 or go to a MY02. Both cars have thier plus points and negatives. Its probably best to mention the major differences I have noticed, detailed below:

1/ The MY02 has noticably better ride quality and doesn't suffer on bumpy slow B roads, especially around town, in fact for a performance car the ride is superb. It certainly doesn't "crash" as much over potholes.
2/ The MY02 suffers in mid range acceleration between 30 - 80, though it is not tardy it in no way offers the same kick in the back surge the MY99 offered.
3/ Handling; in my opinion the MY02 corners more neutrally and is more confidence inspiring and has better mid corner bump absorbancy than the MY99. I find I can carry more speed into a corner than the MY99 (to the critics, please bear in mind I am talking everyday road driving here and not the track).
4/ The MY99 "feels" faster and therefore gives you more thrills for your money. The MY02 in comparison "feels" slower by comparison and therefore is a little too "user friendly". However a casual glance at the speedo (and your rear view mirror!) tells you that in fact the two cars are not far apart performance wise.
4/ Build quality; Both cars suffer in this area though I will admit the MY02 uses slightly better plastics in SOME areas, not all. In fact, I have had an equal amount of annoying rattles on both cars, not Subaru's strong point I feel.
5/ Both cars have the superb gearchange quality, ie light and precise.
6/ The front leading edge of the bonnet of the MY02 chips (and dents!!!) easily due to its aluminium construction. The MY99 in comparison seemed bullet proof.
7/ Don't get caught off boost in an MY02, especially in second from a roundabout junction, the car feels dreadfully sluggish compared to the MY99 which soon spooled up off boost from low revs
I could go on, but I don't want to bore anyone (if I havent done already!), all I will say is the MY02 suits me and my driving style nowadays since I am almost reaching 40!!

Oh, did I mention the MY02 is much quieter and refined (must get a WR Sport back box)

Yorkie

[Edited by Yorkie - 10/19/2002 7:37:30 PM]
Old 19 October 2002, 07:34 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

Have to say I would not swap my 99MY for a WRX. I would have to be at least the STi7 with a PPP My son Chris has an STI7 UK and I reckon my (little bit modded) babe is just as quick and more fun into the bargain!
JohnD
Old 19 October 2002, 07:43 PM
Trumble
Scooby Regular

Phew - I was only away 2hrs for some tea.

Chrisp - I can certainly say I cant complain on the deal - as I am sure lots of others are. I think RAW is a good way to describe the MY99/00.

bumcrack - Lardy ?? Is this due to lack of rawness ?

Yorkie - what an essay - I think that pretty much sums it up - I think what swings it for the wife was it isnt as heavy to drive, the one I tried was light on the clutch / gears and the speed sensitive PS seams a big improvement - MY99 doesnt have this - my previous car (mx6) did and I liked it. As for the bonnet - i vertainly didnt fine the MY99 bullet proof - luckilly I had mine respayed due to minor scrape.

I think if I can tart up the zorst and it sounds like the MY99 and pulls nearly as good then that will be fine.

As for insurance - I nearly fell over - my current insurer wanted an extra 360 quid (ontop of 800 - just renewed!!!) and a tracker and they increased the xs from 100 to 500 !!!! Whats the fecking point ?

Thanks All.

I think if I can find insurance (I'm happy with) then I'll go for it !.

Any more comments ?

T.

PS. Off for beers now to sulk due to insurance quote!

Old 19 October 2002, 09:25 PM
Chip
Scooby Regular

Had 99 MY from new til May this yearwhenI swapped for a UK Sti. Would I go back. No way. Sti is far superior to the 99 in every way.

Chip.
Old 19 October 2002, 11:08 PM
orbv
Scooby Regular

6 months ago when from a my99 to my02. Couple of times a month I miss the only car but spend the rest of the time enjoying the new one.

There are difference cars. If I had to make the choose again I would still go upgrade to a MY02.
Old 20 October 2002, 12:29 AM
yoza
BANNED

Unhappy

The main difference between the classic WRX and the Bugeye is simply that one is faster,and more responsive than the other.

It pains me to say but (in standard form) the classic is the better car in these two fields.

I know coz I drive both(MY98-MY01)
Not both mine me an a friend swap every now and again,,,,,,,,,
Old 20 October 2002, 11:59 AM
mr Bean
Scooby Newbie

Thumbs down

Swapped my 09 for WRX earlier this year and HATE the new one.!
Its not got the fun and involvement and feels much slower in mid range.....Yes its more comfortable and the brakes are awsome
(nothing wrong with the 09 ones though)
Every time I drove the old one I came home with a smile on my face
this new one is just a quick "ordinary "car.
Give me the old one every time!!
Old 20 October 2002, 01:14 PM
Trumble
Scooby Regular

Mr Bean - now why did you go and say that !

I'd just made my mind up to go for it - have you got mods on yours ??

T.

Old 20 October 2002, 01:41 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

I came from an MY00 to an MY01. The two cars are certainly different beasts. Handling on the new car is improved and there is no need to make the bumpsteer mod etc. Performance is very similar. The exhaust on the new car is very restrictive. Changing for a decat makes a bigger difference than on my old car. Fuel comsumption about the same, ride quality better in the MY01. Looks - up to you, but then we all end up modding the cars to a greater or lesser degree.

My new car with the Morrette lamps, Eibach springs, 18" wheels and Rallytech spoiler certainly looks better now and the Scoobysport exhaust system transforms it. The standard brakes are also better than the old car as well. I've now down close to 25K in mine and it gets used most days. It copes happily with a daily commute and is still a blast when you want to have some fun.

I don't believe you will regret changing.

Chris
Old 20 October 2002, 02:43 PM
Trumble
Scooby Regular

Thanks Chris, I felt the ride was better and but do concur the zorst was truely pathetic you cant hear it in the cabin - infact I had to stand round the back to have a listen as it didnt even sound like a flat 4 with the burble!

I'm thinking I will go for it as they're doing some bloody good deals at the moment and then blow 900 quid on HID and zorst.

Thanks

T.
Old 20 October 2002, 04:31 PM
jah
Scooby Regular

I also went from MY99 to MY02. The only thing I miss about the old one is the turbo kick around 2500-3000rpm. MY02 does not have that (well it does but it's a lot smoother) and almost feels like naturally aspirated in comparision.

I don't regret changing. For me the the extra refinement of new shape is worth getting one.

(Edited because of speling erors)

[Edited by jah - 10/20/2002 4:33:02 PM]
Old 20 October 2002, 07:35 PM
gareth60
Scooby Regular

Talking

I went from a Standard My99 which I brought from new to a StiUK in May. IMO the MY02 is a better car for me, I hated the rattles and squeeks of the MY99. I agreee the MY99 was proberbly more interesting to drive, but I now need a bit more "refined" car.

Gareth