ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Wing mirrow pivot removal/replacement

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2002, 12:10 PM
Benji Lad
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

So, after some bar steward(s) broke my wing mirror off by shearing the metal pivot, no minor task I would have thought, a few questions:

- Can I replace just the pivot, or do I have to buy a whole chunk of wing mirror in one go?
- Is it easy to replace (I can undo the bolts that attach it to the car, but the part inside the mirror has no obvious way of being removed)
- Is the wiring easily removed, as at the moment it goes through a hole in the metal?

Anyone got any experience of this?

Cheers
Old 20 October 2002, 12:25 PM
Moles Dad
Scooby Regular

I have read in the past that the dismantling of the pivot is a real ba$tard to do....

Replacing the mirror as a whole is very easy, the three screws are behind the plastic tiangle shaped cover inside the car, you will have to remove the door panels to get to the plug and socket for the wiring...it all comes undone very easily
Old 20 October 2002, 12:57 PM
Benji Lad
Scooby Regular

Cheers Moles Dad.

Any pitfalls with removing the door panel?

Any recommendations of where to get a new mirror from? (Cheap as poss, so probably not a dealer)
Old 20 October 2002, 02:23 PM
Moles Dad
Scooby Regular

Smile

Dont know best place but there is a co. called Grade A breakers....do a search (?)

Door cards....lift out the elect window switch housing, there is one screw under this, another screw lower down behind a removable plastic cover.
Also one of the 'clips' that holds the panel on is one of those 'rivet' type things, you need to pull out the centre first,then remove the rivet bit to allow the panel to move.
You then carefully 'prise' the door panel away from the door, it is held by small 'bang-on' plastic clips.

Oh, I forgot...you also need to pull off the surround from the door handle...you dont need to undo the screw in the handle, it just holds the handle thing in place.

Hope that helps.