Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Running costs: RB5 v Evo VI

Search this Thread

Old 20 October 2002, 04:20 PM
bugeyes
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How much more does it cost to run an Evo as opposed to a Scooby?
Insurance - group 20 v group 17
Fuel - 25mpg v ??
Servicing - 7.5K interval (£100-300) v 4.5K interval (£???)

And taking all that into account is it worth swapping my RB5 WR Sport??

Much obliged for any response,

Ste
Old 20 October 2002, 04:24 PM
Andy W
Scooby Regular

I believe the servicing of the Evo is more expensive also, the insurance may not be that different as the RB5 is a higher grouping than regular scoob

[Edited by Andy W - 10/20/2002 4:28:28 PM]
Old 20 October 2002, 04:25 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

Talking

If you only do 9000 miles a year, servicing will be about the same, despite what you will be told.

Insurance will be more, but not as much as you would think. I am 30 and when I was going to upgrade from a 2001 WRX to an evo, my insurance company only wanted another £57.
Old 20 October 2002, 04:30 PM
C
Scooby Regular

swapped a p1 for an evo - because i dont do many miles running costs are almost identical. mpg's are the same (bad) evo you have to fill up a little more often because of a smaller tank.

servicing costs are roughly the same though for equivalent services.

Insurance is quite a bit more for me as im only 23 - p1 is a uk car - evo is an import!

choice between the 2? - as they were both a second car i would chose the evo - far more focused & fun to drive - p1 was just a bit to sensible for me i think.

Hope that helps
Old 20 October 2002, 04:35 PM
POC
Scooby Regular

I take it you havnt driven an EVO VI, otherwise you would be doing everything in your power to own one, regardless of the costs

Seriously, the EVO is jucier, more expensive to insure, needs servicing more often (well, the AYC fluid needs changing every 4.5k but you can do that yourself), serivcing every 6000 miles is about right.

An EVO VI doesnt compare to an RB5, essentialy the RB5 is just a std UK car, the EVO is an upgrade in every sense of the word. Great scope on the mitsi, more power for less £££ in terms of mods, better handling as standard etc.... mod an EVO and there are only a few top-spec scoobies that would even come close to it.

To answer your question, yes it is wort swapping your RB5 for the EVO and you would not regret it, however it will cost you more ££. DO IT!

Also, I have a minter for sale

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadid=139213

Cheers

Paul
Old 20 October 2002, 04:42 PM
ScoobyKev
Scooby Regular

Here we go, EVO Vs Scooby AGAIN !

Regards

Kev..
Old 20 October 2002, 06:03 PM
Vinesh
Scooby Regular

POC is right about the EVO.

I test drove a EVO 6 (350 BHP) about three months ago and because of this, I am saving my pennies for a EVO 5/6.
Old 20 October 2002, 06:47 PM
POC
Scooby Regular

POC is right
You know, I'll never grow tired of hearing that
Old 20 October 2002, 06:59 PM
323roy
Scooby Regular

poc
good sales pitch mate very fast car indeed !
but it looks sh1te mate , you need some go-fast stripes mate!
dont take offence but horses for corses ,and you are knee deep in manure !!
Old 20 October 2002, 07:03 PM
POC
Scooby Regular

good sales pitch mate very fast car indeed !
but it looks sh1te mate , you need some go-fast stripes mate!
dont take offence but horses for corses ,and you are knee deep in manure
Does it? Do I? Am I? thanks for your input, Im sure bugeyes will appreiate it on his thread.

On with the subject at hand I think.
Old 20 October 2002, 07:29 PM
323roy
Scooby Regular

dont be bitter and twisted poc
i admitted it was a very fast car , you gave us a full run-down on the extras
calm down mate your moneys safe,have a look at what you would have won
Old 20 October 2002, 07:36 PM
Veracocha
Scooby Regular

The RB5 has exceptional handling, I would not say the EVO would be much better.
Old 21 October 2002, 09:58 AM
Tim Bomford
Scooby Regular

My experiences with an Evo VI were that I loved the car but couldn't justify keeping it. it was cheaper to insure but did 13-14mpg with my normal style of driving as it needed filling up every 120 miles. Just wasn't practical at all........ The best fuel consumption I got was when I tried to get the most out of it I could ie coasting and no hard accelleration, but that only got it up to 20mpg so I thought **** it, for that differance I may as well hoof it like normal

Tim
Old 21 October 2002, 11:36 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Looking up road tests done on an STi4 & an EVO6 in Autocar reveals that they got better average economy from the EVO than they did from the Scooby (23.1mpg EVO & 19.9mpg for Scooby)
Old 21 October 2002, 11:50 AM
SimonEvoExtreme
Scooby Regular

I cannot really comment on the running costs of a RB5 but there are a few half truths above so I hope this helps for the Evo.

Insurance - depending on insurance company, many now class a Ralliart/CCC supplied car as a "UK" car. Insurance is group 20 and will vary for all the normal reasons - age, location, driving record, where kept etc! However, I would exepct the insurance to cost more for the Evo because an Evo VI is likely to be worth £18-20K while an RB5 is substancially less.

Servicing - Although POC could well be right in saying that services aren't really need more often than 6000 miles, convention in Evoland is that cars are serviced every 4500 miles because this coincides with the AYC service and also because if you have a car with a warranty, it invalidates the warranty if you go for longer. The price of the service is about £225.

Fuel consumption - this is a contantious issue because there is a wide discrepency between what people report. A properly set up Evo will do about 20 mpg driven reasonably hard. On a trackday you should get 13-14 mpg. If your fuel consumption is higher, there is something not set up right with the car. The biggest reason for high fuel consumption is "conservative" fueling after mods have been made. Many tuners and ECU's tend to run rich for safety, but this burns gas and reduces power. We tend to notice that at RR days, the best power comes from the best fueling and this tends to be from those who report the best fuel consumption.

Other - thongs like tyres, pads etc are probably slightly more exepnsive on the Evo.

Hope this helps.
Old 21 October 2002, 11:57 AM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Simon

What about brake discs - I have looked at buying an EVO6 for a while now but have been put off by stories of brake discs warping every few hundred miles due to inadequate cooling - what are your comments on this issue ? Not sure if it affects the EVO7 though ??

Ro.
Old 21 October 2002, 12:15 PM
jackal
Scooby Regular

Ro,

the 6 is most affected by disc warp mainly beacuse it has no provision for cooling whereas the 5 and 7 do.

In my experience you are far more likely to get warp from trackdriving as opposed to road driving. Its much rarer to see it on fast-road only cars. But if you are serious about trackdays then its prolly wise to invest in a set of AP's in any case. Also, if you have a 6, you can source the ducts from a 5 and fit them ... or power engineering do a custom kit to pipe air to the brakes.

Remember that there are plenty of poeple who have never experienced warp in their 6 either on road or track. Seems to be some other factors involved that no-one has yet teased out yet. Also, people have managed to warp the AP discs as well !
Old 21 October 2002, 12:19 PM
EvoRSX
Scooby Regular

Ro,
Although there are quite a few people who have been affected by warped brakes, there are a lot who haven't as well.
I've done 51,000 miles on the original discs!!!! and they still aren't warped so it depends on what the car you're after is like and how it has been driven.

Re Insurance, I pay £1400 for mine (Evo 6 RSX, 28 y/o, 4 years no-claims)
Fuel consumption is about 20-25 mpg depending on how you drive it
Servicing costs around £200 every 4,500 miles if you want to keep your warranty. If not then do it yourself and save yoiurself a fortune.

Andy

Andy
Old 21 October 2002, 12:25 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

Thanks guys.
Another thing I noticed is a huge variation in prices for 6's.
Warrenders have 22k mile examples for £18,495 while Xtreme have similar cars for £22k !!
I appreciate that Xtreme cars are UK cars (?) but still a huge difference.

Ro.
Old 21 October 2002, 12:29 PM
IanF
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Had my Evo VI Makinen for 5 months now and over this period has averaged 23.9 mpg, with mixed driving style.

Worst I have had is 20.5, best is 28.1 mpg.

Regards
IanF

Old 21 October 2002, 12:33 PM
jackal
Scooby Regular

Ro, i would buy a used private car from eth MLR board for aroudn 17.5-19k. Be very careful of waranty, its not worth much in eth first place (tehy dont pay out on much) and if you mod the car (which you will do) its definitely worth zero.

Extreme command teh highest prices in the UK. If I was buying a 6 i wouldn't want to be paying more than aroudn 18.5k (cos thats what i sold my old 6 for back in April and it was top notch ;-) )
Old 21 October 2002, 12:42 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

I've owned both a MY99 Scoob and an Evo 6.

Insurance - not substantially different. I think I was paying around £700 for the scoob, and about £850 for the Evo 6. Some companies will give you a good price on an "official" evo, but charge £thousands for an "unofficial" one, so worth shopping around. Bell Direct gave me a very good deal.

Fuel - 25mpg on the scoob, about 21mpg on the evo. I really don't know how it's possible to average 13-14mpg in road-driving in an evo. And yes, the fuel tank is too small at just 50 litres.

Servicing - more expensive. Reckon on at least £200 for the interim oil/AYC service and an average of at least £300 for the main services.

Is it worth swapping? You really need to test drive the evo 6 to make up your own mind. When I did, it was a case of "must have it", and I got back in my scoob, and it felt slow, sloppy and imprecise. The evo gives the biggest adrenalin rush of any car I've eved driven. That said, it's is not without flaws, and you need to consider the sort of driving you do. The evo is not a relaxing car to drive - it always feels kind of nervous and on-edge, probably a by-product of it's very sharp reactions. If you're not happy to collapse onto the sofa completely exchausted, after a 3 hour drive at night in the wet, then maybe the evo is not for you. I was also never 100% happy with the way the car handled in the wet, basically feedback was poor at "normal" speeds.

Another big cost you didn't mention was depreciation, which is not an evo strong point at all. I lost around £11000 in just under 2 years of ownership on my GSR. If I was looking for a second-hand evo 6, I'd probably try to find a Makinen edition (generally considered best of breed) in red with decals, as I think they'll hold their value better than a run of the mill GSR.

Regards,

Gary.
Old 21 October 2002, 12:46 PM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

Re warped discs - I was told that the reason this happened was due to people standing on the brakes from cold, and that if you warmed them up gently first, you'd be okay. I never had any problems with mine, but I didn't use the car for track days.

Gary.