ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Civic Type R ??

Search this Thread

Old 09 September 2001, 06:33 PM
Scooby_Spy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi All,

The new Civic TypeR goes on sale from next month.

All the mags are raving about it, particularly as it has around 200BHP, 0-60 in 6.8secs, 146mph top speed and all for £16K.

This has got me seriously thinking.

I was hoping to pick up an imported WRX for around £16K (waiting for the Euro to move in my favour) but for the same money I can get a UK Type R - 4 doors or 2 doors don't make a difference to me !

Given that build quality (and paint quality) is better on the Honda what would you all go for ?

I know this is the wrong question to be asking in this group, but I know some of you love cars in general, as opposed to just the Scooby variety, so honest opinions appreciated.

Scooby Spy
Old 09 September 2001, 09:13 PM
orbv
Scooby Regular

My last car was a Civic 5dr VTi with around 168bhp. To get anything out of it you had to rev the ***** out of the engine. The Integer R's are the same and I expect the Civic R will be as well.

Take both out and make your own mind up.
Old 09 September 2001, 09:47 PM
ollyshorey
Scooby Regular

I have the same as orbv.

I agree with the revving part, but good solid fun.

Honda even told me that there is no way I could knacker the engine as it is all re-inforced. I put there word to the test, and have redlined it (8700 revs) every day for a year and a half, and have come to the conclusion they are right.

It goes back next month, and I pick up my MY00. I will be sorry to see it go !!
Old 10 September 2001, 12:54 AM
Stupot
Scooby Regular

Cool

I had an STi4 and loved her to bits.... still miss the big punch in the guts of full throttle acceleration, big brakes and the exhaust note.... dont miss the £1400 insurance 18 miles per gallon tin box build quality and thin chippable paint. Now drive a mint late 96 2.2 vtec prelude and thrash it all day and still get 30 mpg!! Lacks the power (200 hp) but satisfies in other ways. Im happy to be in honda land... but scooby land always calls
Stu
Old 10 September 2001, 02:48 AM
bb
Scooby Regular

Having driven a fey SIR's before, I must say that they are excellent cars for a balance of fuel economy and performance. But as many rightly say, they need loads of revs to get going, the experience is totally different from the boot in the back feel you get from a turbo. But then you can get 30mpg from a VTEC engine. Also, I remember reading somewhere that Honda are really proud of the fact that no VTEC engine has ever failed due to mechanical failure/manufacturing problem or someone revving the life out of it!

Not quite sure about the truth about that..but the 3 SIR's 've had have been totally reliable.
Old 10 September 2001, 03:19 AM
jamesa
Scooby Regular

Smile

--Spy

Last three cars have been:

Integra Type R - MYOO - P1 ( current )

Type R was fantastic, even on long hauls. Would have another instead of a MYOO but only - as well as - the P1 !!

I p/x the Integra for the MY00 some 15 months go and the dealer is only now `just` getting rid of it....!

Have read that the Civic is not as accomplished as the Integra but give it time.

Cheers
Old 10 September 2001, 08:27 AM
Andy Winskill
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by bb:
<B>Having driven a fey SIR's before, I must say that they are excellent cars for a balance of fuel economy and performance. But as many rightly say, they need loads of revs to get going, the experience is totally different from the boot in the back feel you get from a turbo. But then you can get 30mpg from a VTEC engine. Also, I remember reading somewhere that Honda are really proud of the fact that no VTEC engine has ever failed due to mechanical failure/manufacturing problem or someone revving the life out of it!

Not quite sure about the truth about that..but the 3 SIR's 've had have been totally reliable.[/quote]

Early S2000 engines have had the 4th cylinder "let go"....

I went ITR -&gt; S2000 & MY00

I have another ITR tomorrow, the howl that guy makes when hitting the VTEC was an instant erection....

The power was usable sub license losing speeds.

S2000 is much softer than the ITR and my guess is that the Civic Type-R will also be softer than the ITR. More Accord Type-R than ITR. Now if Honda bring in the new ITR things would get interesting. My guess is that with the agressive pricing of the Civic it's on the cards.

MY00 is much softer and much quieter than the ITR. The ITR did suffer from more understeer than the MY00 and the LSD could ******, jerking the steering wheel...

The Civic looks a bit too much Max-Power for my tastes. In the flesh the rear spoiler looks like an outake from a VW add. You're just looking for the little tear at the front
Old 10 September 2001, 08:50 AM
bigrex
Scooby Regular

I saw a new Civic Type-R at a track day run by the Honda-R club. I think it falls into the same category as the ATR, in that it is much softer and less intense than the ITR, but it is purely designed as a fast road car, rather than a homologation special.
One of my friends has an ITR and another a CRX Del Sol SiR, both of which I have driven. IMHO you have to drive them completely differently to a turbo car, because nothing happens until the needle hits 5k. Even then, they produce very little torque.I think they would be much more tiring to drive at a quick pace for any distance. I was pleasantly surprised at how practical the ITR is as an everyday motor, a little noisy, but quite economical on a run. The old model certainly looks better than the new ITR and the MPV style Civic. Personally, I would stay with my Scooby, but if forced into changing, the old ITR would be an easy choice.
Old 10 September 2001, 09:23 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

I had a 5 dr Civic VTi-S 1.8 167bhp for 3 yrs before the my01.

As soon as it was run in, the poor thing was hammered for all its 3 years and the engine was bulletproof. No problems at all with it. You did have to rev it to get the power, and the red line and me were very close friends, but there was no faults with the car (except a few clutches and sets of brakes/tyres !!)

I also had an integra type-r for a couple of weeks and that was even better.

I got rid of the my01 as i changed jobs (co. car) but nothing i have driven has matched the Civic as an all round package (have a new 172 Clio now)

Cheers

Dave
Old 10 September 2001, 09:30 AM
Diablo
Scooby Regular

Go drive one before you decide

I've had an Integra for a few months and love it to bits. Have a look here for my comments.
Old 10 September 2001, 01:00 PM
Andy Winskill
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Diablo:
<B>By the way, you'll get a mint (very) low mileage Integra R for £16k with 2 years warranty remaining
[/quote]

The last ITR's were going for 16K incl A/C!

You should be able to pick up a year old car for 14K easily.

The ITR had a really good ride. You just needed to make sure you had a powerful stereo fitted!

Old 10 September 2001, 01:53 PM
jon hill
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Diablo:
<B>By the way, you'll get a mint (very) low mileage Integra R for £16k with 2 years warranty remaining
[/quote]

Could be one coming on the market in the very near future - one owner, 14K miles, mint, mint, mint and serviced every 3K by a honda dealer

Old 11 September 2001, 09:10 PM
Scooby_Spy
Scooby Regular

Talking

Apparently, the magazines state that unlike the Accord and Integra, the Civic Type R is a lot more useable in lower revs. It has a new Type R engine, is it the same as the one going into the new integra ?

I definitely want to book a test drive but have to wait until October before it reaches the showrooms - or so my local Honda dealer tells me.

Scooby Spy
Old 11 September 2001, 10:21 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

If you are looking to save money, I believe that the new CTR's are about £13k from EU importer, a barging really!

Jon
Old 12 September 2001, 10:40 PM
Scooby_Spy
Scooby Regular

Hi Polar Bear,

Which importer would that be ?

I had a look around and teh cheapest I could find was about £14,300 OTR, delivered to teh UK.

Jamjar are offering UK sourced Type R's for about £15,200 - sounds like good value but adding air con and metallic paint brings it to about £16,400

Scooby Spy
Old 12 September 2001, 10:54 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

This post isn't going to be much us, I can never remember anything useful!

Off the top of my head I can't remember but it was an ad in one of the many mags I have read in the last few weeks, I'll seen if I can dig it out - 100% sure it was £12995 though.

Also remember seeing an add for a honda EU dealer advertising all cars very cheaply in a UK magazine, I'll try and dig that out too.

Might be worth giving Ian@Litchfield a call and see what his price is... he tends to be competitive.

good luck shopping

Jon
Old 13 September 2001, 09:10 PM
Scooby_Spy
Scooby Regular

Thanks Jon,

I'll check it out !

Regards,
Spy
Old 13 September 2001, 09:56 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Talking

Ok, I've found one of the ads, in the new evo page 162 for Arjun autos, Civic type R, £12995 +4.8% fee, 'prices negiotiable' They've been advertising for 6 months+ now, and previous ads have said further discounts available for self collection, anyway there are a few numbers in the ad - 0870 200 3060 mobile 07931 554449.

If I can find the honda dealer I'll post that too.

Jon
Old 14 September 2001, 09:15 PM
Scooby_Spy
Scooby Regular

Cheers Jon !

Don't go to too much trouble just yet.

I want to test drive one and even though it's better built, my heart is telling me a Scoob !

The only thing is I, test drove the WRX and it wasn't as quick as I thought it would be.

et's see what the Civic feels like.

Scooby Spy
Old 14 September 2001, 09:23 PM
D
Scooby Regular

Wink

Apparently the first lot of CTR's have already been sold..

I think they're taking orders for Jan whenanother 500 will be available, then the same for May/June..

Old 15 September 2001, 09:00 AM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

I am dissapointed with the new CTR and havent even driven it !!!

Its just too soft, drive the old one, and what you get is classic race car feel for the road, fantastic revving engine and a sweeeeeeeet gear change (as ITR owners know).

The new one has been made for the Wife with two kids and all her shopping.

WHY no Recaros ?????

What really amazes me is reporters have said the brakes are not very good. The old CTR and ITR have incredible brakes, how could they have messed that up. The CTR/ITR used 15" rims, and managed to find better brake set up.

Poor effort Honda to think that could replace an ITR.

Pleeeeeeeeeeease bring the new ITR officially to the UK 25K is toooo much, now that is a replacement.
Old 15 September 2001, 09:02 AM
Type R
Scooby Regular

Bloomin softies 200BHP out of 2.0, compared to 185BHP out of 1.6.

What a shame