Law for digest

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2002, 10:26 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CON & USE REGS - NOISE LIMITS - REQUIREMENTS AFTER 1.10.96
PNLD REF NO D2752
NARRATIVE Regulation 55A of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 regulates the noise limits imposed on certain vehicles first used on or after 1st October 1996. This document concerns the limits set.
For the application of this regulation see D2751.

ITEM 1
All motor vehicles with less than 4 wheels , all special vehicles and all motor vehicles with a maximum speed not exceeding 25 km/h which were first used on or after 1st October 1996 are required to comply with the requirements of regulation 55 as it would apply to that vehicle but for paragraph (1A) of that regulation , or comply with paragraphs 3 and 5.2 of Annex I to Community Directive 92/97 or 96/20.

In relation to special vehicles paragraph 5.2.2.1 of Annex I shall be substituted by the following:
The sound level measured in accordance with 5.2.2.2 to 5.2.2.5 of this Annex,
(a) in the case of vehicles with engine power of less than 75 kilowatts, shall not exceed 84 decibels
(b) in the case of vehicles with engine power not less than 75 kilowatts, shall not exceed 86 decibels.

ITEM 2
All motor vehicles to which item 1 above does not apply, first used on or after 1st October 1996, must comply with the requirements of paragraphs 3 and 5 of Annex I to Community Directive 92/97 or 96/20.

55A(4) For the purposes of this regulation-
(a) subject to paragraphs (b), (c), (d) and (e), the Community Directives referred to in this regulation shall have effect in relation to a vehicle that is not a 'vehicle' within the meaning of the Framework Directive D2750 but is of a class of a description specified in an item in regulation 15 of these Regulations (whether or not regulation 15 applies to that vehicle) as it has effect to a vehicle of a category specified in that item;

(b) subject to paragraphs (c), (d) and (e), a vehicle that does not fall within sub-paragraph (a) and is not a 'vehicle' within the meaning of the Framework Directive shall be regarded as meeting the requirements of paragraph 5 of a Community Directive mentioned in the item if it meets-
(i) the requirements of that paragraph as it applies to a vehicle in category M1 or N1 within the meaning of the Community Directive, or
(ii) the requirements of that paragraph as it applies to a vehicle that is not in either of those categories;

(c) subject to paragraphs (d) and (e), in relation to a special vehicle the Community Directives mentioned in an item above shall have effect with the modifications (if any) specified in that item;

(d) a requirement in paragraph 5.2.2.1 of Annex I to the Community Directive 92/97 for a sound level not to exceed a specified limit in specified circumstances shall be read as a requirement for the sound level not to exceed that limit by more than the amount mentioned in paragraph 4.1 of Annex V to the Community Directive in those circumstances;

(e) a requirement in paragraph 5.2.2.1 of Annex I to the Community Directive 96/20 for a sound level not to exceed a specified limit in specified circumstances shall be read as a requirement for the sound level not to exceed that limit by more than the amount mentioned in paragraph 4.1 of Annex III to the Directive in those circumstances.
Old 25 October 2002, 10:28 AM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Red face

Well that clears that up then????????

Ian
Old 25 October 2002, 10:31 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

CON & USE REGS - NOISE LIMITS - VEHS FIRST USED 1.10.96
PNLD REF NO D2751
NARRATIVE Regulation 55A of the Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 regulates the noise limits imposed on certain vehicles first used on or after 1st October 1996. This document contains the general limitations imposed. For the specific limits on certain vehicles see D2752

55A(1) A motor vehicle to which an item listed in D2752 applies shall be so constructed that it meets the requirements specified in that item; and an item shall apply to a vehicle if it is of a description specified in that item.

This paragraph has effect subject to the following provisions of this regulation, regulation 59 and Schedule 7XA

NOTE:
Instead of complying with this paragraph a vehicle may comply at the time of its first use-
(a) in the case of a vehicle to which item 1 in D2752 applies, with Community Directive 77/212, 81/334, 84/424, 92/97 or 96/20 or ECE Regulation 51.02; or
(b) in the case of a vehicle to which item 2 in D2752 applies, with Community Directive 92/97 or 96/20 or ECE Regulation 51.02.

(2) Paragraph (1) does not apply to-
(a) a vehicle with fewer than 3 wheels ; or
(b) a vehicle of a description mentioned in regulation 55(2 ).

(3) In this regulation, SPECIAL VEHICLE means a vehicle which is-
(a) engineering plant ;
(b) a locomotive other than an agricultural motor vehicle ;
(c) a motor tractor other than an industrial tractor or an agricultural motor vehicle;
(d) a public works vehicle ; or
(e) a works truck .
SOURCE ROAD VEHICLES (CONSTRUCTION & USE) REGULATIONS 1986

ALL RELATED MATERIAL 55A Noise limits - vehicles first used after 1.10.96
NATIONAL REGION GB
Old 25 October 2002, 10:34 AM
chockymonster
Scooby Regular

imposed on certain vehicles first used on or after 1st October 1996

Now that I like! Hmm, so what about cars first used in Feb 1996, how loud can they be?
Old 25 October 2002, 10:39 AM
red_dog104
Scooby Regular

Location: Casualty or Holby City, Take your pick, it's not like that in real life!!
Thanks, thats saved me a job looking it up. So does this mean i'm safe seen as though my car is pre 96?
Old 25 October 2002, 10:42 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Clear as mud, innit?

Instead of complying with this paragraph a vehicle may comply at the time of its first use
So how do we determine if this is the case?
Old 25 October 2002, 10:54 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

hang on, I've not finished!

Trending Topics

Old 25 October 2002, 10:57 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

CON & USE REGS - NOISE LIMITS - WHEELED MOTOR VEHICLES
PNLD REF NO D2604
NARRATIVE The Road Vehicles (Construction and Use) Regulations 1986 regulate the construction, weight and equipment of motor vehicles. Regulation 55 provides for the control of noise made by certain vehicles with three or more wheels . It states:

55(1) This regulation applies to every wheeled motor vehicle having at least three wheels and first used on or after 1st October 1983 which is-

(a) a vehicle, not within sub-paragraph (b) or (c), with or without bodywork;

(b) a vehicle not within sub-paragraph (c) which is-
(i) engineering plant;
(ii) a locomotive other than an agricultural motor vehicle;
(iii) a motor tractor other than an industrial tractor or an agricultural motor vehicle;
(iv) a public works vehicle;
(v) a works truck; or
(vi) a refuse vehicle ; or

(c) a vehicle which-
(i) has a compression ignition engine;
(ii) is so constructed or adapted that the driving power of the engine is, or by appropriate use of the controls can be, transmitted to all wheels of the vehicle; and
(iii) falls within category I.1.1., I.1.2, or I.1.3 specified in Article 1 of Community Directive 77/212,

unless exempted by paragraphs (1A) and (2) below and an exception under regulation 59.

(1A) This regulation does not apply to a vehicle to which an item in regulation 55A applies.

(2) This regulation does not apply to-
(a) a motorcycle with a sidecar attached;
(b) an agricultural motor vehicle which is first used before 1st June 1986 or which is not driven at more than 20 mph;
(c) an industrial tractor;
(d) a road roller;
(e) a vehicle specially constructed, and not merely adapted, for the purpose of fighting fires or salvage from fires at or in the vicinity of airports, and having an engine power exceeding 220 kW;
(f) a vehicle which runs on rails; or
(g) a vehicle manufactured by Leyland Vehicles Ltd and known as the Atlantean Bus, if first used before 1st October 1984.

(3) Every vehicle to which this regulation applies shall be so constructed that it complies with the requirements set out in items 1, 2, 3 or 4. (See D2605) A vehicle complies with those requirements if-

(a) its sound level does not exceed the relevant limit specified in that item when measured under the conditions and by the method specified using the apparatus prescribed in paragraph (6) below; and
(b) in the case of a vehicle referred to in paragraph 1(a) (other than one having less than four wheels or a maximum speed not exceeding 25 km/h) or 1(c), the device designed to reduce the exhaust noise meets the requirements specified in that item,

unless provided for by paragraphs (4) and (5).

(4) Paragraph (3) applies to every vehicle to which this regulation applies which is first used on or after 1st April 1990, unless it is equipped with 5 or more forward gears and has a maximum power to maximum gross weight ratio not less than 75 kW per 1000 kg, and is of a type in respect of which a type approval certificate has been issued under the Type Approval (Great Britain) Regulations as if, for the reference to items 1,2, 3 or 4 above there were substituted a reference to item 4.

(5) Paragraph (4) does not apply to a vehicle in category 5.2.2.1.3 as defined in Annex I to Directive 84/424 and equipped with a compression ignition engine, a vehicle in category 5.2.2.1.4 as defined in that Annex, or a vehicle referred to in paragraph 1(b) unless it is first used on or after 1st April 1991.

(6) The apparatus prescribed for the purposes of paragraph 3(a) and regulation 56(2)(a) (noise limits - agricultural motor vehicle/industrial tractor) and Schedule 7A (motor cycle noise/silencers) is a sound level meter of the type described in Publication No. 179 of the International Electrotechnical Commission, in specification for Type 0 or Type 1 in Publication No. 651 (1979) 'Sound Level Meters' of the International Electrotechnical Commission, or a sound level meter complying with the specifications of the British Standard Number BS 5969:1981 which came into effect on 29th May 1981.
(6A) A vehicle shall be deemed to satisfy the requirements of this regulation if it is so constructed that it complies with the requirements specified in column 4 of item 2 in the Table in regulation 55A as they apply to a vehicle first used on or after the date specified in column 3 of that item.

(7) Instead of complying with the above provisions of this regulation a vehicle may comply at its time of first use with Community Directive 77/212, 81/334, 84/372, 84/424, 92/97 or 96/20 or ECE Regulation 51.02.

For other documents on the subject of noise limits see:
D2605 noise limits - specified vehicles
D2606 noise limits - agriculture and industry
D2607 motor cycles - noise limits
D2608 motor cycles - exhaust systems
D2609 motor cycles - maintenance requirements
D2610 motor cycles - noise limit exceptions
D2751 application of regulation 55A
D2752 specific limits on certain vehicles
SOURCE ROAD VEHICLES (CONSTRUCTION & USE) REGULATIONS 1986

ALL RELATED MATERIAL 55 Noise limits - general
NATIONAL REGION GB
Old 25 October 2002, 11:01 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

btw, I can find NO mention of noise limits on vehicles first used b4 1996
Old 25 October 2002, 11:03 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

and don't ask me to explain these laws!!!

You can read them as well as I can. Make from them what you will.

I'm still getting my Graham Goode system fitted next week