ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Undercover cop cars and entrapment.

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2002, 10:44 AM
Da Booga
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Was speaking to my sisters boyfriend, and good mate yesterday. He was telling me had left my sisters house and was driving through the village where she lives behind a V reg Rover 45 that suddenly indicated and pulled over to the side of the road, waited for him to pass before setting off behind him. The car followed him for a couple of miles almost sat in his boot and driving erratically, pretending to pull out, slowing down and accelerating back up to him etc.

We came to the conclusion he was trying to get him to race/speed but luckily he's not the kind of person to race on the road especially as the road went through a built up area!

He drives a very clean Sierra cosworth and when they eventually did pull him over for a "routine" check they said that they had had reports of boy racers in the village.

Now we know their is a handful of 17/18 year old lads in the village who own Novas, fiesta etc. and drive like complete tools doing rolling burnouts, speeding (sometimes quite excessively) and drag racing on the street etc! Just because he owns a performance car doesn't automatically make him (or anyone else) a criminal.

I'm all for the police doing all they can to stop these idiots but using undercover cars to try and get innocent people to break the law is wrong [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img] I know plenty of people that would have accelerated away from a car driving like a tool beind them but would have driven well within the law if left alone (if i'm honest me included!) what with all the stories of car jackings etc.

I feel the police use this at times to try and give their statistics a boost but it makes me so mad [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Sorry, rant over.

Gareth
Old 25 October 2002, 10:54 AM
hail-hail
Scooby Regular

If this had been me, there's a fair chance I would have tried to lose the car and heading straight towards the nearest police station.
If a car pulls over in front of me and then pulls in behind and start driving like a t1t, to me it reeks of car jacking.
If then pulled as the blue lights come on I'd refuse any ticket and see them in court.

Just me tuppence worth.
Old 25 October 2002, 11:28 AM
ariel
Scooby Regular

Well they got a friend of mine like that and he is nearly in his dotage. 6 points and £300 fine, Guess what he thinks of the cops now.
Old 25 October 2002, 11:47 AM
BoxerFlat4
Scooby Regular

Da Booga -

Many years ago, when the Cosworth first came out, I was one of the first to own one in the North West (company car). You can imagine the response, 19 year old driving a car like that (white whale tail version as well). My record was being pulled over 3 times in the same day, in the same town as I lived !

One cop even admitted he'd pulled me over just to have a look at the car. In your mates situation, I would of pulled over somewhere nice and public, and waited to see what happened. Even better, drive into a cop shop and approach the car then.

Paul Houbart
Gecko Motorsport
Old 25 October 2002, 11:50 AM
IanF
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I remember a while back, similar happened to a P1 owner, but at night. He went for it (not to race, but because of risk of carjack/theft) and at same time called the police. Marked car caught up with them to find the bandit car was an unmarked car. Unmarked car driver got a bollocking apparently.

Regards
IanF
Old 25 October 2002, 12:08 PM
Dave_A
Scooby Regular

I remeber when I first passed my test, driving down a road with a marked police car behind me. He was driving quite close, constantly moving up to my bumper and then slowing down, making me feel like I was holding him up, so in my nievity I speeded up slightly (not excessively), to just beyond the speed limit (about 45mph in a 40 zone). So what happens - they put the blues on and pull me over for a chat, really patronising little talk about speed limits and all that jazz. This really peeved me off because I felt I was almost goaded into breaking the speed limit by the way they were driving.

If it happened now I would make a point of wanting to see the video footage and ask if they always drive in the manner they did. Its certainly something I'd like to see them justify in court.
Old 25 October 2002, 12:18 PM
Flyboy-F33
Scooby Regular

Many years ago (blimey, how old am I)? I was driving a Camaro Z28 (400BHP)on the outskirts of Leeds one night. It was Christamas eve, and I see BMW headlights come up close behind, eventually he flashes me a few times, so I stand on the gas and head-for-the-hills. For the sake of sanity, I have to back off and he catches me up, this time with the blue lights behind the grille. I thought '$hit I'm nicked', but we had a nice chat about the car, he then just gave me a producer and let me off. What was that all about? I consider myself lucky.
Old 25 October 2002, 12:35 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

So, is this sister of your single or not?
Old 25 October 2002, 12:37 PM
ZIPPY
Scooby Regular

Paul (BFF) that must have been SOME years ago,youre older than my dad.LOL
C U Sunday

Zippy
Old 25 October 2002, 12:37 PM
Da Booga
Scooby Regular

My single has not got a sister?

[Edited by Da Booga - 10/25/2002 12:38:18 PM]
Old 25 October 2002, 12:39 PM
MRK
Scooby Regular

Talking

Stuff like the pigs pulling these kind of stupid antics really pi$$es me off. Where the hell do they get off driving behind you like idiots then pulling you over to tell you off.

Question – As we live in fear of car jacking, if an unmarked pig car pulls this stunt can we refuse to pull over and just drive to the next police station, or should we call 999, and explain the situation.??.

This actually happened to me a while ago and I just indicated first to see if they would drive pass, as I do not race anything on my roads, they didn’t so I stopped dead. Their car had trouble stopping, and I think I freaked them out. Good As I got out of my car, they sped off. It turned out that it wasn’t cops, but silly *****, but if it was I would given them such a ticking off. And if this ever happens again I will not stop, instead I will drive straight to the nearest pig sty and report the flipping idiots.

Another time I pulled out of a pub at around 11:20, just as I was straightening up and beginning to gently accelerate up the road (cold engine) I saw a patrol car drive pass me. Two cops glared at me, they cut another car up behind me while turning around and proceeded to accelerate wildly and sit themselves on my bumper swerving left to right. Eventually their lights & sirens came on. I pulled over in a petrol station, jumped out of my car walked fast up to the now surprised pig and said “what the hell kinda of driving is that? I should report you, and that car you cut up should too. Now why is it you pulled me over?” he was so stunned and obviously ashamed to his driving the pig said politely “just a routine check as we saw you pull out of a pub”.

He asked a few questions then left me along. Damn idiots.
Old 25 October 2002, 12:41 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

My single has not got a sister?
Congratulations on being the first guy to make me confused. I'll go play with moses now.
Old 25 October 2002, 12:41 PM
MJW
Scooby Senior

I was in a similar situation to BoxerFlat4 : 19 years old tootling about in a Saff Cossy with PWEI blaring out on the stereo. I got god knows how many tugs by the five-o. Ironically the last copper to pull me over to check if the motor was mine was the same one who pulled me out of the wreckage when I binned it. Doh !

Old 25 October 2002, 12:42 PM
BoxerFlat4
Scooby Regular

Zippy -

Some days I feel older than others ! Cya Sunday.
Old 25 October 2002, 01:19 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

how can that be entrapment?

Did they force him to drive faster - was it impossible for him to pull over? Or proceed to a police station or perhaps a petrol station (CCTV) and wait for the police there.

This excuse of 'they were baiting me in to driving faster' is nonsense, you make your choices, stick by them.

Matt