ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Decision help required!!!

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2002, 12:15 PM
Ali-T
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello all,

Been hanging around on the sidelines for a while now but I may have more input in future.

Currently, I run a 51 reg Civic Type R, but after a year of niggling faults and bad customer service I'm considering switching marques. A big decision for me as I've been a dyed-in-the-wool Honda fan for 12 years now, but Honda UK are desperately trying to shoot themsleves in the foot over all the things that made them great- customer care, build quality and Type R (which is solely represented by the CTR now).

After Scooby's great give away starting last week, I suddenly find myself being able to afford a nearly new car, rather than an out of warranty 3-4 year old. Looking on the net I found a very nice 51 reg WRX 4 door in silver (definently the least offensive colour for the lights!) and was most impressed by it on a test drive. Its done the same milage as the CTR (10,000) and costs £16995. This seems like a bargain.

Two little niggles persist though:

1) Those looks! Silver looks good but I'm still not that sure, especially with the facelift coming

2) Performance. It just didn't seem as fast as the CTR. Not that different, but lacking the top end push that the low down shove promises.

So two questions.

Those that have seen the new car, is it really worth that extra £4500?

The Prodrive Performance Pack. Does it improve the base car dramatically? And what performance level/bhp can I expect?

Old 25 October 2002, 12:24 PM
joni
Scooby Regular

That's no bargain no more! For Under 2 Grand more you get a brand new one Oh and Silver + PPP.....I would
joni
Old 25 October 2002, 12:35 PM
Ali-T
Scooby Regular

So you think there's negotiaition to be had then?

Should I try and get the PPP thrown in for free, or is that pushing it?

Also depends on what they offer for the CTR. I've seen CTRs advertised at list price for the same age as mine and same mileage (£16250). However, book trade price is only £11750!!! The latter would appear to be taking the ****! If I can get near £14k then the deal will be done. Otherwise I'll wait, pay more of the CTR off and investigate the Mazda 6 MPS and Evo VIII next year.

And then there's the RX8.

Oooooooh. I go goose pimply thinking about that beauty.

Its the one reason I'd never spend more than £20-22k on a Scoob or Evo. Above that the RX8 is my only choice. And paying for a new WRX isn't really an option. I'd rather have a mint nearly new car with the PPP and still save money.

We'll see. the dealer is getting back to me on Monday.
Old 25 October 2002, 12:36 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Ali-T

Can't be too much help here as I own a my99 and not the one you are looking to buy.

However went from a Honda Prelude 2.2vtec 4ws to the impreza and would NEVER consider switching back. and like you, had been a honda fan for a while

I sold the prelude to a mate who laughed when I bought the Subaru and he joked for weeks after that my old Honda (in his hands) would be all over the Subaru........ I have never seen anyone proved wrong by such a vast margin

Good luck

Old 25 October 2002, 12:53 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

I drove the Type R when looking back in February. Finally bought a 9 month old WRX. Partly because I didn't like the gearbox on the Type R and partly because the WRX was available there and then whilst the Type R would be a 3 month wait.

Must admit I love the WRX, done 22,000 miles since February, put god knows how many litres of Optimax in it, had it serviced at great exepense twice and its in for the third one today, however it's worth every penny.
Old 25 October 2002, 02:17 PM
Chrisgr31
Scooby Regular

Well having just had the garage on the phone and the good news that the car needs new pads and discs on the front stick with the Type R!
Old 25 October 2002, 03:27 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
£17k for a year old WRX? You can get them new for £18! You'll probably have more scope for haggling on the 2nd hand car though. Unless the dealer gives you a really good trade in price, or at least a grand off the sticker price, I'd go for brand new one. If you're not keen on the lights, change 'em.