Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Police - Waste of Time???

Search this Thread

Old 25 October 2002, 12:46 PM
IanF
Scooby Regular

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Colleague at work was reversed into by car in Tesco car park. Car drove off, but parked up other side of car park. She went over and they denied they hit it. After much discussion eventually accepted they did, but didn't want police called as they had no insurance. Colleague got a name and address and called her boyfriend, who decided to call police anyway. Colleague also decided to call police (didn't know that boyfriend had) saying that matey who had hit her was driving with no insurance. Reply was 'what do you want us to do?'

It gets better...

Anyway police that boyfriend had called arrived to find that he had no insurance, no driving licence, and didn't own the car. Address he had given was false. Anyway they took him away.

The best bit.
Police contacted colleague later in the evening. Incident happened on private land, so not too much they can do. Oh yes, and by the way he got pulled by us a couple of weeks ago for driving with no licence and no insurance, but we decided to let him off with a caution!!!

What a joke the police are!

IanF
Old 25 October 2002, 12:55 PM
m18use
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
police = tossers
Old 25 October 2002, 12:58 PM
Gordo
Scooby Regular

Red face

I had similar a coupe of years ago. came back to my parked car to discover a big dent and scratch on the back wing with a workman and his transit pick up behind it - with matching scratch, paint colours etc.

bloke denied it so I got plod involved (it was next to a police station). after some pushing they grudgingly agreed to take paint samples and said they'd be in touch. I chased them over the next 6 weeks and eventually got hold of the plod involved who was aggressive and told me that their budgets were tight and his senior officer had decided not to take it further !!!!!

and they wonder why crime rates are soaring!

Gordo
Old 25 October 2002, 01:00 PM
^Qwerty^
Scooby Regular

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
No way !!!!!!!

Thats worth a few letter/phone calls to newspapers and demand a meeting with the Chief Inspector for that.

Tossers
Old 25 October 2002, 01:07 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Older cops = good

New Labour cops = Rather not comment as this is an open message board.

Old 25 October 2002, 01:10 PM
ProperCharlie
Scooby Regular

So as far as I can see, if you bash into someone's car, you can just deny it and nothing will happen to you? Amazing.

Could the plod not have used his common sense and see the obvious? I mean a coppers word is always good enough when they *want* to nick you for something...

Charlie.
Old 25 October 2002, 01:12 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

Angry

Wife got side swiped in her Lupo by some w4nker overtaking in a 40 on double white lines.

Police were called and said there was no point in taking a statement as it was "knock for knock"

Err excuse - overtaking on double white lines whilst someones turning right - yeah - that sounds like knock for knock

Needless to say a statement was taking.

[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

Trending Topics

Old 25 October 2002, 01:13 PM
ronny555
Scooby Regular

Police - Tossers!

Driving home last night - down the hill into Monmouth there is
a police speed van parked on the side of the road - then 400metres
pass it there are 6 police cars parked up waiting to pull over speeding motorists. 6 bloody cars.

Makes me spit blood.

All police are tossers.
Old 25 October 2002, 01:59 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

All coppers are w4nker$

I love this acab mentality.

btw recent caselaw states a supermarket car park is liable to insurance, as per normal roads.

.../I'm eating as I type this, so forgive my grammar
Old 25 October 2002, 02:54 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

BuRR I'm certain that no one is tarring you with this brush and you have helped many people on here deal with Police matters, as have the other coppers that frequent the forum.

But its difficult to meet someone these days that hasn't got a story of policing gone mad. One way or the other.

When I was a kid, we all knew our local coppers and this personal contact certainly affected our behavior. And this was Romford, not some sleepy rural village.

Here, my local Police station advise me that there are two area cars covering Basildon and Wickford (pop approx 100,000). A couple of miles away from here is Basildon Traffic HQ. The place looks like an import compound for Police cars. For the £9000 a year that I pay in rates, the only service I get is Police and Fire Brigade. I have to pay for my bins to be emptied, I have to pay for my pavements and roads to be repaired and I have to pay for my estate street lighting.

I don't want my money spent on fleets of un-marked BMW 5 series' and 911s (I kid you not!!). I want it spent putting coppers back on the beat and back in the community, its as simple as that.
Old 25 October 2002, 03:18 PM
skipjack
Scooby Regular

tell it to the local newspaper: they'll love it and it'll put mr plod embarassingly on the spot.
Old 25 October 2002, 03:31 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Pete

In part I agree with you.

The only problem is that most peoples stories are not their own. They simply jump on the bandwagon and the story gets Chinese whispered out of proportion.

With respect this thread appears to be exactly the same. It would be interesting if the officer came on here and gave his/her side of the story.

As for the Police stopping someone with no driving licence, insurance or MOT and letting him/her off with a caution yeah right, sorry I can't believe that.

Nathan..

A wakner, ****, to$$er and .....

[Edited by Nathan L - 10/25/2002 3:40:58 PM]
Old 25 October 2002, 03:40 PM
tinvek
Scooby Regular

sounds a bit like a contradiction doesn't it?

on one hand all coppers are out to persecute motorists and on the other they let someone with no documents or who overtakes dangerously off with a caution
Old 25 October 2002, 03:49 PM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
"on one hand all coppers are out to persecute motorists and on the other they let someone with no documents or who overtakes dangerously off with a caution "

the stories above would mean they have to get off their ***** and investigate the complaint.

when plod see an offence their word stands in court. so there is bugger all investigating to be done. e.g stopping you speeding or having an illegal exhaust.

Old 25 October 2002, 04:11 PM
Pete Croney
Scooby Regular

I agree Nathan and the accept that many stories are exaggerated. But many are not.

I also accept that the roads have to be policed.

But I think the balance between traffic policing, which generates huge fine income, and community policing, which generates almost none, has gone way, way too far the wrong way.
Old 25 October 2002, 04:24 PM
wrxmark
Scooby Regular

Vast sums of money are paid to our insurance companies.What will they do for you?
So the police are not taking this any further, what about civil action either by the insurance company or the person involved.
It is all very well slagging the old bill about what they will and won't do for you, how about someone getting off their **** and taking the matter up themselves. People appear to want their ***** wiped all the time and pass any resposibilty onto someone else. The insurance company should be persuaded to do more with as much venom as has been shown here against the police.
Just because people assume a criminal offence or traffic offence has been commited it does not mean that a prosecution will take place. Thats life.

Oh and please remember that not all police are the ******* and tossers some people seem to think they are. Much the same as not all Subaru owners are small minded maniacs who boast how they have narrowly escaped death after racing another vehicle
Sometimes I wonder about people.
Just 8 hours a day and then I drive the same car on the same roads with the same dodgy exhuast and number plate etc as you. So I am a ******.
Thanks

[Edited by wrxmark - 10/25/2002 4:34:55 PM]
Old 25 October 2002, 04:26 PM
Imran
Scooby Regular

I suffered a lot from all of this stuff.

That's why I moved to Canada!!! ;-)
Old 25 October 2002, 04:36 PM
Dracoro
Scooby Regular

Pete Croney wrote 'BuRR I'm certain that no one is tarring you with this brush'.
But they are! and they have said it above. that's the problem here. I hate all this anti police garbage that people sprout on here.
If you have a good/bad experience with the police then by all means tell your story, but to use this basis to conclude that all police officers are [insert pathetic expletitive here] is just cheap, lazy, boring, pathetic and signifies a certain lack of intelligence.
Old 25 October 2002, 04:41 PM
jasonwrxowner
Scooby Regular

WRXMARK...That is the most sensible thing that I have read. Well done mate.

Lets remember that the police are following direction from their superiors. They are told what lines their shift should take. I have been stopped quite a few times and mostly just end up chatting to my local bobbies.

they have a hard enough job to do without us kicking off at them. If you get hit in a carpark, thats bad but I don't believe for a minute that the police let them off with no insurance, tax etc. That would be misconduct on their part and their heads would roll if this were true and reported.

Nuff said.

Thanks again for the sanity check wrxmark.

Old 25 October 2002, 04:41 PM
wrxmark
Scooby Regular

Dracoro & Jason
Thanks it is not just me then. Since I started posting here I have never really experienced such a hostile response to the old bill as on some of these threads. Not from people who appear to be well rounded and intelligent anyway.
I must admit it does wind me up, but I have had a ****e day.

[Edited by wrxmark - 10/25/2002 4:43:39 PM]
Old 25 October 2002, 07:29 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

Katana WROTE:

>> New Labour cops = Rather not comment as this is an open message board. <<

Comment away - anyway, dont think it's down to New/Old or indifferent Labour from my experience. 10 and 12 years ago, had very similar stories to relate so it's nothing new. It really isn't.

Bean counters rule - with this in mind, in recent years (decades?)the Police have had their cards marked and act accordingly ....

In the interests of balance: ... served on a Jury sometime ago whereby the local plod HAD apprehended one such toe-rag. Amazing story. Stereotypical is not the word for it ... guilty m'lud ....

However, two jurors were convinced the individual had been stitched up and stubbornly refused to believe otherwise until diagrams, both verbal and physical were drawn for them showing how there could be no doubt. Funny old game "people" ...
Old 25 October 2002, 08:00 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
just love the "lets all blame everything on new labour" or "tony blair is a w@anker" quotes. Guess thats the product of ignorance to politics, either that or theres as lot of Sun readers about.

BTW had front and rear sti5 spoilers ripped off of my old impreza in a Tescos car park in broad daylight, police didnt want to know and Tescos politely told me to pi55 off. I guess thats all because the theives were "Thatchers" children lol.
Old 25 October 2002, 08:39 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

Lets see if I'm not mistaken, New Labour was the one that gave the police ALL THE REVANUE from traffic offenses. Have they not done this, we wouldn't see them speed trap cameras every five feet right?
Old 25 October 2002, 08:45 PM
King RA
BANNED

In response to your original statement wrxmark: "Yes".

[Edited by King RA - 10/25/2002 8:47:19 PM]
Old 25 October 2002, 08:49 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Just FYI: the police don't get ALL the revenue, just usually the speeding offences in a 5-15mph window over the speed limit. Everything else usually goes to court, and the resulting penalties go to the treasury.
Old 25 October 2002, 08:52 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

I never knew that bit Burr so cheers.
Old 25 October 2002, 08:55 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

AFAIK

Some of the cameras in Kent are owned by local councils who get the enforcement money from them.

Nathan..
Old 25 October 2002, 08:59 PM
wrxmark
Scooby Regular

Bus lanes,parking tickets, road tax are all linked with the local council.No revenue for police.
Old 25 October 2002, 09:13 PM
CooperS
Scooby Regular

There are some good cops, my twin bro is a cop (23 y/o) and he is just like me, hates tw@ts that mug/rob/beat up old people, bullies, burglars and theiving scum, loves to tell me the stories of things he's done.
Best thing is, he used to run for England as a fell runner, pretty quick still, usually catches people he chases and brings them down with the baton to the back of the kneecaps.
He gets frustated with the red tape sometimes, but tries his best, so remember not to slag them all off, some of them are pretty decent folk.

Andy
Old 25 October 2002, 09:17 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question

KATANA - coppers are not good anymore, lets blame New Labour??

Its raining outside, New Labours fault??

Stubbed my toe this morning, Tony Blairs fault??

Have you ANY idea how stupid you look saying stuff like that??

Probably not

Pete

Quick Reply: Police - Waste of Time???