Starting problems!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03 November 2002, 03:20 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hi Guys,
This morning went to go out in my beloved Scoob and when I tried to start her up she was having none of it, The noise I was getting was like metal grinding metal, called out the AA and he put jump leads on my recently new battery and she fired up first go, blowing out some blue smoke, the AA guy said I'd flooded it, and sure enough she started, he said it was because the car was damp, he sprayed my HT leads with a damp start liquid and said let her warm up, still a bit worried as I have to drive home tonight, any advice greatly received.
Cheers
Colin
Old 03 November 2002, 03:27 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Unhappy

I've had this on two occasions when I first had the car. The first time was the transponder in the key not talking to the ecu, and the second one, I had flooded it.
You have to be careful not to touch the throttle pedal AT ALL b4 you try to start it, as this does cause flooding.
If it happens again, try turning the engine over while slowly pressing your foot to the floor on the throttle, releasing of course, when it fires.
Alcazar
Old 03 November 2002, 07:57 PM
MGJohn
Scooby Regular

>> he said it was because the car was damp <<

If the all important HT spark supply has become covered in grime and other filth with the passage of time like they do on all cars, then this acts like a sponge and absorbs moisture. This is particularly true once those damper, cooler mornings arrive. Sparks struggle to get delivered in the right places at the right time .. ... Engines spinning on the starter and unburnt fuel (no sparks remember) build up = flooding. Plugs soaked with a thick covering of fuel/oil giving weak sparks no chance to fire engine. Under these conditions, repeated failed start attempts eventually exhaust even a new battery. Get all the usual suspects (Plugs, Leads etc) checked, cleaned or renewed and your damp wet mornings poor start blues should all disappear.

With many modern cars, those extra L O N G intervals between regular service checks lull many drivers, particularly those with little or no mechanical nouse, into a false sense of security. Car doesn't need a service until next century so why bother checking anything ..... sort of thing ... DOH!

More worrying is your "The noise I was getting was like metal grinding metal" comment. That cant be right so get someone with a knowledge of these things to give it the onceover ... just in case
Old 04 November 2002, 11:10 AM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Cheers guys, drove her home last night without a problem, I am today booking her in for a service and a once over, thanks again for your help.
Cheers
Colin
Old 04 November 2002, 12:57 PM
sKunk
Scooby Regular

I had loads of problems starting my scoob until I got into this little routine:

Never touch the pedals during starting
Turn on ignition then leave for 3 - 5 seconds to allow the fuel system to be primed. You can hear it whirring away, then after a few seconds it stops.
Turn over engine and car starts.

Give it a try
Old 04 November 2002, 04:38 PM
Scoob99
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Done it this morning and she started, with no problems.
Thanks again guys
Colin
Old 04 November 2002, 11:53 PM
Pbone
Scooby Regular

Colin
Ello mate
Had this problem once or twice but have always done the "turn engine over and slowly depress accelerator until she fires then release everything" Never failed me yet.
Speak to you soon.