Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

If You Could Do it All Over Again....

Search this Thread

Old 21 September 2001, 12:28 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by john&nicci:
<B>Andrew:-Welcome!
I'm a bit biased, as I have a STi ver3, but here goes anyway(flameproofs on!).
If you get a jap:-all the mods are allready done, ie loads of bhp, ally suspension arms, etc,etc,etc. If you buy a UK it will have been de-tuned, have softer wussy suspension, different gearing blah, blah blah!!!!
So you'll have paid more, and then will have to fork out sheds of dosh, to get the car back to how the designer intended!
Park Lane garage at Alton(Hants) had a jap STi in (my01), and despite what a lot of people have said(ugly-bugly etc etc) it looked the dogs b*ll*cks.
My own very humble opinion!
john.[/quote]

Know what you mean about the Wussy suspension! Took a WRX out for a test drive yesterday and although it holds sooooo well the suspension was far to soft for my liking. I currently drive an imported Honda Prelude Type S and the suspension is much firmer although sometimes after going over speed bumps, It feels like I've got a mouth full of teeth!

Old 21 September 2001, 10:29 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Wink

Hello Everybody! New to the Board (which looks very good by the way). I'd appreciate some help in my purchase of an Impreza...
At the moment I'm contemplating one of these three options...
1)A UK WRX
2)Wait until January for the UK STi
3)Import a brand new STi from Japan.
What do you think? I enjoy modifications so is it worth the extra, paying for the STi? Or should I buy a WRX and modify that?
Also any other tips or information would be appreciated...Learning from your mistakes will help me avoid them!
I'd rather not think..."If only I could do it all over again"....!
Thanks for any replies and help....

[This message has been edited by andrewdelvard (edited 21 September 2001).]
Old 21 September 2001, 10:41 AM
RichS
Scooby Regular

Welcome to the board mate!

If you can afford it, wait for the UK STi.
- that's what I'd do anyway.

Rich

Old 21 September 2001, 10:57 AM
orbv
Scooby Regular

Cool

Some dealers in Euro are taking orders for UK-spec STi's. Could be worth looking into?
Old 21 September 2001, 11:03 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by RichS:
<B>Welcome to the board mate!

If you can afford it, wait for the UK STi.
- that's what I'd do anyway.

Rich

[/quote]

Thanks for the welcome!
Yeah it's difficult, I've been quoted £24995 ofr a Brand new Japanese STi delivered to the door. The insurance works out to be about another £250 per year on top of what I'd pay for a UK STi (According to my Insurance brokers speculations) so it still works out to be a good saving...Lets see what other guys have to say....

Old 21 September 2001, 11:31 AM
john&nicci
Scooby Regular

Cool

Andrew:-Welcome!
I'm a bit biased, as I have a STi ver3, but here goes anyway(flameproofs on!).
If you get a jap:-all the mods are allready done, ie loads of bhp, ally suspension arms, etc,etc,etc. If you buy a UK it will have been de-tuned, have softer wussy suspension, different gearing blah, blah blah!!!!
So you'll have paid more, and then will have to fork out sheds of dosh, to get the car back to how the designer intended!
Park Lane garage at Alton(Hants) had a jap STi in (my01), and despite what a lot of people have said(ugly-bugly etc etc) it looked the dogs b*ll*cks.
My own very humble opinion!
john.
Old 21 September 2001, 01:22 PM
wilf
Scooby Regular

Wink

If its properly sorted, a UK STi.

For various reasons (many irrational) imports do have poor residual values when it comes to trade in time and many dealers simply wont accept them as trade ins.
Old 21 September 2001, 01:34 PM
john&nicci
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

The answer to all your dreams!
A 22B was up for 25K, on this site,this week!
If it hasn't gone, GET IT!!!!, and then the whole wide world will be v jealous.
(apart from the lucky few like rhodie and chuck)!!!
john.
Old 21 September 2001, 03:23 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Question

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by wilf:
<B>If its properly sorted, a UK STi.

For various reasons (many irrational) imports do have poor residual values when it comes to trade in time and many dealers simply wont accept them as trade ins.[/quote]

Do you think the loss in Residual value on a grey import will outweigh the initial saving of approx £4000 by buying new from Japan?

Old 23 September 2001, 10:27 AM
john banks
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hard suspension is not always the answer for UK roads IMHO. Depends on where you live and how smooth they are. Softer suspension can in some circumstances allow the tyres to be in contact with the road more of the time therefore allowing better cornering, braking, acceleration. I think UK spec &lt;MY01 is quite suitable for the sort of roads I drive on. MY01 UK is even better even though it is softer. In the newer car, you are not doing a skippy the kangaroo impression over all the midcorner bumps which can unsettle the older car with its harder suspension. Maybe the MY01/02 STi has the balance quite good, but EVO mag thought it was just too hard for UK roads. And the UK models do have slightly more practical gearing. Others may disagree, but bigger wheels, lower tyres and hard springs are not always the answer in the real world.

MY00 PPP DP K&N std wheels/susp/Prodrive settings/Mintex 1155 pads and v. happy. I took this option instead of getting a MY01, and after spending just over £2000 on engine mods have a car that feels about similar in performance to an unmodded P1/STi. Being a Euro import I've still not spent £20k even though I got delivery in 2 days and paid more to start with.
Old 24 September 2001, 09:34 PM
General Panic
Scooby Newbie

Do get Scoobysport exhaust/filter and Power Station geometry.

Do invest in Optimax and octane booster.

Do not go to Uxbridge or Warwickshire
Old 25 September 2001, 07:02 AM
CRAFT
Scooby Regular

If you can wait that long, get one when Prodrive bring out a special. They did it with the WRX, and a few months later say "hello" to the UK300. But if not, STI for sure!

CRAFT
Old 25 September 2001, 07:10 AM
MichelleWRX1994
Scooby Regular

Cool

I have test driven the Jap STI and I have to say I am VERY impressed with it!!!

I sway towards Jap rather than UK models so I am biased when I say the Jap STI, I wouldn't personally buy a UK model, but at the end of the day........make sure you test drive them all if possible and choose the one you are happiest with.........

Welcome BTW

Michelle.
Old 26 September 2001, 09:40 AM
Hoppy
Scooby Regular

Location: Where age and treachery reins over youthful exuberance
Welcome, Andrew.

You've probably entered Scoobydom at the most difficult time! There are soooo many choices right now, and they all have virtues. Do try and drive a few (difficult, I know) as things like a UK car with PPP drives very differently to an STi. Both bl00dy quick!

A UK STi sounds like an obvious choice, but it's not cheap and not available yet. 01WRX is unappealing as standard, but stick a PPP on it and away you go! UK300 is tempting, with PPP.

But if you want value, you can still pick up a new UK00. Fit PPP and decent brakes. Fantastic performance, great value, 3 years warranty

Richard.
Old 26 September 2001, 11:16 AM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Talking

Well my 2p worth -

If you plan to sell your car in the 1st 3 years, then UK is likely to be worth more than a Jap STI. Several Importers have commented that the EVO 7 is outselling the STI 7 about 5 to 1. Probably because it is easier on the eye. This means that there are a few unsold Jap spec STI in the UK which are going quite cheaply at the moment (one STI7 allegedly went for £15k at auction). So I don't think the meduim term value of these cars will be great.

If it was my money, I would by an EU STI in Belgium (3 year warranty!) and hope that the same 25% savings are available as on the standard WRX!

Jon
Old 26 September 2001, 11:51 AM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by polarbearit:
<B>and hope that the same 25% savings are available as on the standard WRX!

Jon[/quote]

Wouldn't that be great....

Hoppy.

Please excuse 'newbie' ignorance....What's a PPP?

Old 26 September 2001, 12:13 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Thanks for all the replies guys.
I look forward to learning and hopefully contributing (hopefully!) to this board....
Old 26 September 2001, 04:42 PM
andrewdelvard
Scooby Regular

Wink

ttt.
Old 26 September 2001, 05:40 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
PPP stands for Prodrive performance pack, its a dealer option and pre MY00's are fitted at prodrive in Warwick, MY01's are fitted by the dealer, ups torque and performance from 218bhp and 214lbs of torque on my MY00 to 250bhp and 250lbs of torque, MY01's go from the same bhp and torque to 246bhp and 261lbs of torque, it also retains your warranty
Hope this helps

Tony