ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Scoobysport Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2000, 11:26 AM
^Gazzer^
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

In all the posts I have seen no reports of any significant incease in performance with these systems, just increase in noise.

Why not save money by drilling holes in the existing system to make more noise.

OR

Buy a cheep karioki machine from Argos, place the microphone over the exaust outlet, and the speaker inside the car.

Gazzer
Old 18 February 2000, 11:33 AM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

LOL...

Many years ago, one of the performance car mags had a cover mounted cassette which featured recordings from inside several high performance cars lapping some UK circuit.

I seem to remember that there was A Lambo Countach V12 (best sound), an Aston Martin Vantage V8 (MMMmmmm...), a Ferrari and a few others.

As a teenager with an overactive imagination and an Astra 1.3, it was quite a laugh to drive around with this cranked up on the Stereo . Sad I know, but so is a 140,000 mile A-reg 1.3 Astra.

Anyway, if a car is louder it must be faster right?

Cheers,

Alex
Old 18 February 2000, 02:00 PM
Josh L
Scooby Regular

In the absence of a little winking face, I presume that you have never seen the dyno figures for pre/post back box and exhaust mods.

Although I have never put mine on a dyno, I have to say that there has been a marked change since I replaced the box and air filter. The engine definately seems more willing, and there has been a noticable increase in torque lower down the rev range.

Oh! and yes it also sounds wonderful

Josh
Old 18 February 2000, 02:13 PM
Neil F
Scooby Regular

Ditto.
Old 18 February 2000, 02:57 PM
Lars
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Last week i bought a US magazine with a test of the Scooby back box.
It was tested on a 2.5 liter Subaru WITHOUT Turbo.
First they tested the power as standard, then they tested with 2 different back box's.
The Scooby came out with around 5 HP more at 6000 rev but 7 (if I remember right)less HP at 3.500 rev. Then they added a free flow / cold intake filter ( KN I think) and everything went wrong. The air flow sensor detected low preasure, nocking sensor adjusted ECU. Result loss of 10-15 HP.
Then they installed a Programable ECU and managed to get back to gain a loss of 1 HK at 3.500 and gain around 5 HP at 6000 rev.
OK it was not a Turbo.

Ilook forward to the weekend, as my Scooby will go for some track practice on the French circuit Bois Guyon. The Circuit is open one weekend a month for free practice. Fee around 400 FF for 4 hours.

Old 18 February 2000, 03:59 PM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Gazzer,

Looking at your question another way, is the performance increase significant?. I don't really think that a 5-10bhp is easy to detect - you probably get a bigger variation depending on atmospheric conditions. You don't say what model you have, but the higher the boost the car is running, the greater the degree of restriction from the standard part. If you have a WRX or STi, you will get a reasonable gain. For a UK car (which I have), I would say that the car pulls a little better in the upper rev range, and maybe slightly better pickup around the boost threshold.

I've never been totally sure if it WAS faster, or just sounded faster. However when my car was on the PE dynos it made 241bhp+228lb/ft on 95ron supermarket petrol, and 11/12psi boost, which is 10-12 bhp above some unmodified cars but this could be a normal sample/sample variation.

Either way, it isn't a "night and day" difference, but it does sound good.

Cheers,

Alex
Old 18 February 2000, 04:21 PM
RoShamBo
Scooby Regular

I didn't get mine for the bhp gains - I got it purely for the sound.....

Ro
Old 18 February 2000, 04:45 PM
Jonathan
Scooby Regular

Talking

The time that you notice the gains the most performance backbox's make, is when you refit the std one. Thats what I noticed more than anything.

Jonathan
Old 18 February 2000, 08:43 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Cool

The SS backbox DID give me noticeable gains and this was against the Prodrive Rear Box that it replaced...

No regrets and no obtrusive sound....ask Cem....(Mr PSSSSSSSSST!)
Old 18 February 2000, 08:51 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Question

Any one got an answer to this one. I have had the exhaust for just under a year. I dont know if it is a combination of the engine loosing up (only done 6000) or the cold weather but sound has increased a little and something new.

I noticed purely by accident after a normal run from work about 6 miles (dual carriageway) when I pulled in my drive. I left the engine running as normal but I caught the acelerator slightly on getting out, engine speed went up to 1500 rpm just before it returned to normal rpm I heard a slight popping and banging thingy. Its done it on the last two nights without fail.

I only have the SS backbox on a MY98 turbo anyone get this ?

cheers

chrisp

[This message has been edited by chrisp (edited 18-02-2000).]
Old 18 February 2000, 09:35 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Wink

Prob the cold weather you monkey!
Old 19 February 2000, 12:46 AM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Cool

Dont get me wrong, it sounds mean and moody, a bit like its owner .

Probably because a lot of owners have hurt my scooby's feeling by calling it aggressive red.

cheers

chrisp
Old 19 February 2000, 12:53 AM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

I had a before & after power run when fitting my SS exhaust. I got an extra 5bhp with a standard air filter. My mpg improved by 1-2 mpg.
Old 19 February 2000, 12:58 AM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

Talking

Heh,
Chrisp, that is normal. It happens very rarely on the backbox alone but it is fun nonetheless.

Couple the scoobysport backbox with a scoobysport downpipe then its HELLO GUY FAWKES!

VRRROOOOMM!! PHHHHSST! POP POP BANG POP!
It is very funny. I had to drive through Knightsbridge yesterday at 5.00pm, every so often I would rev the engine and lift off. The popping and banging would scare the crap outta people.
Have a listen tommorow at Santa Pod if youre going.
Sunil, you coming or what?
Cem