Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Theiving 'Joyriders' have totalled my car HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08 October 2001, 12:53 AM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry

I think my heads goin to explode!!

Friday night at 11.20 some ****** who had stolen an Astra drove it head on into my parked Vectra, the alarm (which was goin nuts) alerted me and i ran out to find two elderly gents (60+years old) preventing the little tw*t from driving away.

i ran over opened the door and grabed the ignition key, anyway after much screaming from my kids the dog having a fit and me refusing to give up the key (even after being thretened with a large lump of wood) i successfully got the bast*rds name address and tel.no.

Well after spending most of the weekend giving statements to the police etc etc... i was wondering if anyone's had a similar experience? what happens as regards to insurance as a stolen car has crashed into mine? as i understand it at the momment the claim for my car will be down to my insurance and be logged as an 'own fault' claim, is this right?

by the way, the doddering old fool that owned the other car had left the keys in the car! will people ever learn?

Cheers guys & gals

Steve
Old 08 October 2001, 03:03 PM
jjk
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Sorry to hear that Steve.
My girlfriend has a GTI6 and some b'stard smnashed into her car and did a runner. Didnt catch him but he left a pregnant woman in the car and the police questioned her but she said she didnt know his name - yeah right oh love!!!
3 grands worth of damage and had to claim off my mrs insurance.
Nothing we could do and I made calls to the police but to no avail. They do provide you with a number to some organisation set up to help people in a similar situation to yours/mine.
We tried to get help off them but gave up in the end....
Good luck and give the local nick a call. If I remeber rightly they may even contact you automatically.
The only way to stop these thievin winkars is to cut off their fingers/hands as they do in other countries.

jas
Old 08 October 2001, 03:37 PM
orbv
Scooby Regular

The insurance companies have a fund setup to pay for claims when the person responsible for a crash has no insurance. It can take months or years to get payment from this fund and is normally a last resort if the driver can not pay etc. If you are fully comp your insurance company will payup in the mean time but your no claims may be effected until the final payment is made.

This is my understanding so could be complete rubbish! Speak to your insurance company / broker and see what they think.
Old 08 October 2001, 04:50 PM
nevr
Scooby Regular

One way is to claim on the insurance of the person who owns the car that was stolen.try to find out the owners details from the police. If you end up out of pocket and the ****** is found make sure the police charge him with criminal damage, the court can award costs, you may not be able to recover them straight away but if he ever goes legal and get a job sting him then plus interest
Old 08 October 2001, 05:28 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Thanks for your replys (i really needed a 'virtual' shoulder to cry on) i think i got most of what you mentioned, owners name etc etc......

as for getting any monies out of this through the courts is minimal to say the least and the bobby who took my statement said that the cost involved in doing a id line-up means that they would prob. do nothing!

ive just come back to work after seeing my car taken away, i dont think i will see it again BUT

There is light at the end of the tunnel, the car was due to be returned in Feb (contract hire) and a scoob would have replaced it. so, if i dont get the vectra back sccoby ownership is brought forwards, i think that is the only thing thats keepin me sane at the mo

Thanks again

Steve
Old 08 October 2001, 05:33 PM
EvilBevel
Scooby Regular

Steve, I think you are a brave man, and you more than earned the new Scoob that has your name on it

Take care & enjoy eh...

Theo
Old 08 October 2001, 05:40 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Cheers mate

at the mo i feel like exacting my own justice

but we all know where that leads, me in court paying out more of my money.....

i have seen one with my name on (sti type r) however, i might have to settle for a UK spec if the insurance decision goes the wrong way. hey what the hell a scoob a scoob right

[This message has been edited by Steve001 (edited 08 October 2001).]
Old 08 October 2001, 06:18 PM
teknopete
Scooby Regular

Question

Steve,

Sorry 2 hear bout u r incident m8 hope u get the lil fugger an they hang im
I know it`s 2 L8 4 u now but summin that me an a lot of my m8s have started doin is keeping a disposable camera handy, no so much 4 wot happened 2 u but 4 general bumps If u had a pic of the fugger it`s more likely u could ave him.
Most usefull when u r involved in a dunt an the other driver claims "thats not the way it was".
Hope u get it sorted out bud. Wot about a small claims action against him, or the other driver for negligence?

B lucky

Pete
Old 08 October 2001, 07:56 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

not sure I see the problem, you say you caught the guy right?

so claim off your insurance - you will lose your ncb. When the guy gets prosecuted the insurance company re-instate your ncb and go after the ****** for the money, no doubt he has none but that's not your problem. They'll probably take it out the 'fund'.
Old 08 October 2001, 08:59 PM
sulli
Scooby Regular

MattN - what you say makes sense, but unfortunately is incorrect, in my experience.

I had a car stolen a couple of years back, and it was written off. I claimed on my F/C insurance, and although didn't lose NCB, as it was protected, premium went up due to claim. The little ****** was caught, and convicted, so I instructed my Insurance company to recover any losses from him, and so not count the claim so as to affect my premium - they would not do it, said it was unprofitable to do this, and was never done by insurance companies. And before you say it, I didn't accept this initially and approached the Ombudsman - they told me the same - the joyriders get away with a pittance fine, and most likely go on to do it again.

Gotta say it, but if I caught a joyrider I would do more than not take his keys, I would end up doing time - although you probably have more common sense than me.

Good Luck with it.
Old 08 October 2001, 09:19 PM
lordlucan
Scooby Regular

Steve

I was hit a few years back by a drunk un-insured driver in a Marina Super, the police in Sierras couldnt keep up with him !! Well to cut a long story short I claimed from the MIB, Motor Insurers Bureau, I had 3rd party cover which may have made a difference, the payout took 9mths but saved me...this was about 8 yrs ago, however the MIB is still in force funded by Insurance companies.

I hope you get a satisfactory result.

All the best
Jason
Old 08 October 2001, 11:04 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

should have stated this is based on what happened to me last year.

Car was borken in to had to claim. Some people caught them when they returned. Convicted and my ncb was re-instated.

However at no point was I told of this, a friend in the industry told me to inform the insurance when I said the little gits got caught.
Old 09 October 2001, 12:38 PM
Steve Williams
Scooby Regular

Surely the ****** that did it was taken away by the "boys in blue"....

So you got more than a name and address.....

If you called the police and they attended then you should have an incident report as well, and if the car was stolen then the insurence will pay out no problem (if they don't under such circumstances then why do we bother having insurence??

BTW can't have been a very good thief to be stopped by two 60 year olds.... (unless they were very hard 60 year olds )

Hope you get it resolved soon.