ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Can anyone teach me to slow down ?

Search this Thread

Old 17 February 2000, 11:40 PM
Philip Thurlow
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Hi there Gang, I think I need some help (I've finally found out for myself John !!)
but seriously - I have always been a "fast" driver. I cannot determine between slow and flat out. Its either parents in back seat mode or wifes pregnant mode. Not that I have a wife you understand. I'm 21 single and have a scooby 98 sport. I just feel that I have to get to wherever I'm going ASAP even if I'm an hour early in some cases in the past ! I dont overtake in daft places or risk my life or the cars either. I occasionally get flashed at and this makes me think - but I still think that the previous manouvre was safe. Anyway - just wondered what(if any) kind of ideas people had to help me slow down and calm down a ickle bit - what about playing some slow music - I tried all saints albumn this morning but it didnt help at all. In fact I think it made me go a bit quicker !
oh btw - what a load of cra8 that Motor show was on tv tonight - its sponsored by bmw again oh and audi - tested the audi tt tonihgt and next week testing the tt convertable !!! eh ? am i missing sommat here ?
ps. I saw you (the red scoobie turbo v reg playing in the snow filled car park at the top of saltersgate - whitby-pickering road the other night - you big boy ! - can I join in next time ?
Old 17 February 2000, 11:48 PM
frisby
Scooby Regular

Cool

Phil,

Have to agree with you on the music front......any sort of tune with a good beat is a sure sign for the right foot to stay planted just that little bit longer and leave the braking that little bit later....drive with no stereo and see what happens.....I found that I driver slower, and am also more aware of what is going on around me......do the advanced driver sort of thing in your head.....talk yourself through the situations are in. Also think of the better fuel economy you'll be getting *lol*

laters

fris
Old 17 February 2000, 11:53 PM
Gaffer
Scooby Regular

Easy

1. Just imagine meeting yourself coming the other way at the same speed! tends to make you look further ahead!

2. Alternatively look at the posts under 'Oh dear, Oh dear'

3. Get a Trilby.

Cheers
Old 18 February 2000, 01:43 AM
Wreckleford
Scooby Regular

Try flipping your car end over end at 80 mph. That did it for me for a while at least.

I find the opposite to Frisby. If I drive fast my senses are much more alert - I am much more aware of what is going on around me and my reactions are quicker.
Old 18 February 2000, 08:24 AM
Nick
Scooby Senior

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Philip

Take the Advanced Driving Test with the IAM. Lessons are free & the test is about £45. After that, join the SIDC & take the freebie SIDC Driver training course run by Disk Grimes. This for me, reinforced the info learnt with the IAM.
Old 18 February 2000, 09:52 AM
Geezer
Scooby Senior

Wink

Dump the Scoob and buy the biggest car you can find with the smallest diesel engine (un turbocharged).
Old 18 February 2000, 09:55 AM
RogerE
Scooby Regular

Wink

buy a 2cv
Old 18 February 2000, 10:23 AM
GCollier
Scooby Regular

One of the funniest and wittiest impreza articles I read went on about how good, how composed the impreza was, and how it egged you on and on to drive faster and faster. It concluded by saying that at regular intervals, it should flash up a question on some sort of HUD "You are not God, respond Y/N?" and cut the engine out if you responded incorrectly.

I suggest getting one of those fitted Phil
Old 18 February 2000, 12:15 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

Valium,
But I think you just need a chat with Anders
Old 18 February 2000, 12:20 PM
Paul Frank
Scooby Regular

Wink

Ask Steve McCulloch how much he pays for insurance . . . . (next NW meet is a good time)

see ya Sunday
Paul
PS now 5 of us coming to your private car park (2 cars)
Old 18 February 2000, 09:04 PM
sunilp
Scooby Regular

Wink

Drive with the handbrake on you sheep *******
Old 18 February 2000, 09:21 PM
Philip Thurlow
Scooby Regular

Hey I like that one Sunlip ! thats the bit about the handbrake I mean !!
I agree with Wreckleford - when I drive "in parents are in back seat mode" I drive really sloppy - the gear changes are kinda scary !
unlike my Mansel style quick shift in "Wifes pregnant mode" I seem to read the road ahead much more carefully when driving fast, unlike when going slow - I tend to relax too much and start looking out of my side window - ooh look at that lovely sheep mum ! "aaaaaaah pheasant in the middle of the road Philip !!!!!!" oh yeah ever tried hitting a pheasant in a mini doing 80+ - well windscreens do break sometimes - I have never like feathers in my mouth since !
Old 18 February 2000, 09:35 PM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Wink

I went the same way as Nick - IAM course and passed the test then Dick's SIDC course helped me. Now I compromise - I stick to 30, 40 & 50 limits and have all my fun on national speed limit roads.

If you get sloppy sticking to the speed limit then imagine you are back at the IAM test or that you have Dick Grimes sitting next to you !
Old 18 February 2000, 09:56 PM
Otis
Scooby Regular

Hello Phil,

Fear of getting busted by the boys in blue did it for me as points don't always make prizes. When I was in the Sport, that you are now thrashing around the North Yorkshire countryside in, I didn't feel half as conspicuous as I now do in the turbo. I was let off with a warning at 96mph (not proud of it) but I somehow think I will not be so lucky next time.

May see you Sunday by the way. I will be there as a guest and using the special routes they have open for us. Nevertheless if you see a DBM saloon V*** JAT.....IT'S ME!! Don't jump out in front though 'cos I'll probably be lost and too busy reading road signs to notice!!!

Alan.
Old 18 February 2000, 10:01 PM
Philip Thurlow
Scooby Regular

what do you mean as a guest ? who of ?
you jammy git ! hehehehehe
if you want theres a few of us meeting up for a bacon sarny at the greystones cafe which is opening specially for the event. Its near the roundabout as if you were going towards scarborough (Peter Champmans) we will be there from 07:30 ish so call in and we might meet up elsewhere - I'd love to meet the ex ! hehehehe - I still aint thought of a name for it though - the last 3 letters are RNP as you know - well my mum says its "really naughty Philip" - thats as good as it gets
Old 18 February 2000, 10:07 PM
Penni Whitehead
Scooby Regular

Wink

Philip,
what is it about you that keeps me coming back.... !!! you want a make a million sunshine - package that energy of your's

I hope 'see you Sunday' doesn't mean you're coming to Santa Pod.... that's two for the BBQ
Old 18 February 2000, 10:13 PM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Exclamation

I second/third the IAM/ROSPSA driving courses. That and a phrase from Steve Warren's website(http://www.ukspeedtraps.co.uk/frames.htm).
Look under police officers view.

Before I took the courses I used to routinely do 40 in a 30, up to 70 in a 40 and 95 on a motorway. Now after a serious bit of soul searching and the birth of my son I stick to the limits unless i'm overtaking a slower car, on a race track. or on an emptyish motorway in good conditions(never more than 85).This is'nt meant to sound self rightous or smug, just that I now have more precious things in my life than boasting how I did a ton on a B road after blowing a M3 away on a blind bend.

Go for a driving course, you WILL enjoy it.

Old 18 February 2000, 10:22 PM
Otis
Scooby Regular

Kall Kwik.
Old 18 February 2000, 11:23 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Talking

Kall kwick rally, bugger, i wanted to go watch that but my sport is in the garage having the engine sorted.

Theres no way i am gonna show up at a stage in a justy, too sad.

Phil, top tip, learn to be smooooth, it will slow you at first but you will be a far better driver. Concentrate on not doing fast movements but let it flowwww, youll build the speed back up with time but will be in a far better possition to react if you need to and will be safer for it, without falling asleep with boredom.

Do 21 year old's know how to be smoooooth?
Old 19 February 2000, 08:10 PM
Philip Thurlow
Scooby Regular

Wink

hey you cheeky bu88er ! I went to the Fat Harry White loooooourve school - you'll see !
have you ever been down, deep deep down, have you ever been waaaaay down ?
hmmmm