ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Impreza broke my Origin blue I

Search this Thread

Old 20 November 2002, 08:10 PM
Cord
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The sound on my origin blue I expired this week
After a phone call to the friendly chaps at origin technologies (who said they would replace it) they informed me that they have had several units returned with blown sound boards and the majority are off Impreza's. I nearly always unplug mine on start-up but obviously there has been the odd time when i have missed it. Does anybody make some sort of a "surge" protector or other device that will protect it from power surges when I atart my car?

Cord
Old 20 November 2002, 09:07 PM
JohnD
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

Correct me if I'm wrong but when the starter is operated on the Subaru (like most cars?) power is disconnected to the cig. lighter and also the radio. In any case, if they were not disconnected surely you would get a voltage DROP at these components when the starter motor pulls so many amps! So I can't quite understand how you would get a surge? Any theories out there?
JohnD (Origin owner)
Old 20 November 2002, 11:19 PM
DJ140
Scooby Regular

I,ve just returned mine, with a similar fault. Plugged it in and the display went very bright and stays that way, no information showing at all.

Dave at Origin mentioned another he had heard of with a sound fault, must of been yours.

I have asked Origin for a recommendation to protect against surges, although I like you nearly always connect the Bluei up, after the engine is started. Dave mentioned tha the new model has different circuitry, to protect the device.

This will be my third until, the first one's display lost 2 lines, after a couple of months.

They are great when they work, but I'm not sure I like being on first name terms, with the girl at the Post Office.

Dan
Old 20 November 2002, 11:28 PM
RRH
Scooby Regular

Sounds similar to my experience- now on my third unit also.
Excellent service (every time), but I'm sure they must lose money replacing this many!

simon
Old 20 November 2002, 11:29 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Geodesy chaps. Simple and utterly reliable, so far
Mossman
Old 20 November 2002, 11:39 PM
Cord
Scooby Regular

Geodesy, is that the one with just LED's for a display/warning? I like the extra info given by the blue I, but after reading these last few posts maybe reliability is going to be an issue.
Old 21 November 2002, 08:37 AM
navigator
Scooby Regular

theres a group buy for a road angel on at the moment thread is on todays board.£300 .
Old 21 November 2002, 09:45 AM
druddle
Scooby Regular

I am on my 4th Origin Blue-I !! I had a similar failure, and i have half the display and was told it was from voltage spikes from some cars. I have a Clio 172.

First unit was one of the first that had the wrong modem number in it, second died cos of "voltage spikes", and was replaced with a 3rd that had some sort of surge protection in it. That unit then started rattling and when i downloaded the database, it then said "No data found".

Good service from them, and its saved my license on SPECS cameras a few times !!
Old 21 November 2002, 07:48 PM
Cord
Scooby Regular

So am I to assume the inbuilt "surge protection" is fairly good then? Like I previously said I nearly always un plug mine but obviously there is going to be the odd time I miss it. 4th unit!!!!! Argh this doesn't sound to good!!