ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

do you let WRX idle after motorway driving

Search this Thread

Old 09 October 2001, 05:56 PM
stephen emery
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

just wondering, old 98 turbo mentioned that you had to leave it to idle for 3 min after long continual motorway driving.
no warning sticker on WRX dash, can i switch off without any harm!!

PS when stoped and finnish journey
Old 09 October 2001, 06:09 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

Stephen, ALWAYS give the turbo at least 1 minute to idle before switching off. This lets the turbo get some oil that has cooled down a bit. After a blat I normally give it at least 5 minutes idling.

If your pulling in off the motorway to say fill up with petrol, sit in the carpark for a few mins.

I normally just fill up with the engine still running, by the time your put a tank of petrol in, your looking at 3-4 minutes anyway.

Dan
Old 09 October 2001, 06:09 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Should idle ALL turbo engines after driving on boost ! Its not just a Impreza thing !
Old 09 October 2001, 07:45 PM
navigator
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

not being fummy or critical.
but i thought it was illegal to refuel whilst the engine/ignition is on.
something to do with fuel + sparks and a fire??
certainly in rallying we never refuel without a fire extinguisher and having let the car cool.
As i say not being awkward but suggest you don't fuel and cool the turbo.
I'd would like you to live to a ripe old age....
Old 09 October 2001, 08:52 PM
Matty B
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by navigator:
<B>
but i thought it was illegal to refuel whilst the engine/ignition is on.
something to do with fuel + sparks and a fire??
.[/quote]

Thats what the signs say if you read them at the petrol stations,I thought.
Matthew
Old 10 October 2001, 12:15 AM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

I have a turbo timer on mine and tend to set it to 1 minute. Scoobs do need to cool, but generally I am driving slowly (off boost) for the last 1 mile of any journey I make so I figure that plus 1 min of engine should keep the turbo safe!

That said there have been times I have left it 3 mins or so to cool if I have been really thrashing it!

btw definately don't fuel when engine running and would never stop the car without giving it at least 30 seconds to cool.

Jon
Old 10 October 2001, 02:19 AM
2Scoobysnacks?
Scooby Regular

Wink

I get some strange looks of people in the street when i'm sitting looking at the clock, waiting for 2/3 mins for the turbo to cool.

Trending Topics

Old 10 October 2001, 03:21 AM
jon44w
Scooby Regular

Danny Fisher- Make sure you switch the scoob off before you go in and pay otherwise some thieving toerag with have her away quicker than you can blink.

I hang on to my keys like my life depends on it after reading some of the stories posted here!
Old 10 October 2001, 08:52 AM
alistair
Scooby Senior

Wink

You should also switch off your mobile phone on a petrol station forecourt........

I always leave the car running when refueling.
Old 10 October 2001, 08:56 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by alistair:
<B>You should also switch off your mobile phone on a petrol station forecourt........

I always leave the car running when refueling.[/quote]

How do you ever put any fuel in then. The car uses it as fast as you pump it in. Well it seems like that anyway
Old 10 October 2001, 09:00 AM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

hmmm
You should ALWAYS idle your car otherwise you can make the turbo bearing seeze. check out the scoob
Old 10 October 2001, 10:07 AM
CELL
Scooby Regular

Before joining scoobynet, I had no idea that you should let the car idle for a few mins before switching off. This being my first car with a turbo.

I might stand corrected here but i dont think the owners manual mentions it?

How on earth is your average person supposed to know this?
It makes me cringe to think for the first week i had it, taking friends out on demo runs and stuff, then coming back and turning the engine off straight away

Thankfully it stil seems ok
Old 10 October 2001, 10:30 AM
STi wanna Subaru
Scooby Regular

Please correct me if I'm wrong but if you have done a blast on the motorway and then come into a town or village where you rolling along at 2000rpm for a few minutes surely the need to idle the engine is not needed or if so only for 30 secs to a minute max.

If the turbo only really starts spooling up at 2500rpm that this would make sense to me. Again please tell me otherwise if this is wrong because I want to look after my car as best I can.
Old 10 October 2001, 11:52 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

You should stop your engine before refueling. However in most motorway service stations you've normally got enough room / parking to let the car idle for a few mins and then take it over to the pump. This would seem to be the most logical solution.

STI wanna - if you come off a hard run and then let the car run off boost for a few miles then that should be sufficient. I would always let it idle for 30 - 60 secs at the end anyway, just to be on the safe side.

Chris
Old 10 October 2001, 11:54 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

You should stop your engine before refueling. However in most motorway service stations you've normally got enough room / parking to let the car idle for a few mins and then take it over to the pump. This would seem to be the most logical solution.

STI wanna - if you come off a hard run and then let the car run off boost for a few miles then that should be sufficient. I would always let it idle for 30 - 60 secs at the end anyway, just to be on the safe side.

Chris
Old 10 October 2001, 01:10 PM
ZAZ
Scooby Regular

Question

What is the position with turbo timers and thatcham alarms? I thought fitting a turbo timer invalidated the thatcham approval of alarms! I may be wrong!

After I stop the car it invariably takes me a couple of minutes to sort myself out, get everything together and put the disklock on the wheel so I don't think I need one but I was thinking of getting one anyway! It's a toy and it looks flash and everyone will ask what it is!
Old 10 October 2001, 01:24 PM
Dizzy
Scooby Regular

I was going to get one until ChrisP pointed out that do you REALLY want to walk away from your car with the engine still running?
hmm I dont so I'm prepared to sit n w8 :/
Old 10 October 2001, 01:30 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

If I know I am coming to a stop soon, I take the last few minutes really gently, that way I know the turbo will be cooler as I dont use any boost.

Even at idle the turbo is spinning loads, so long as its temp is low when you switch of the oil pumps, that way remaining oil in the turbo is not fried.

If I am blasting right up to the point that I stop then I will let it idle for at least a minute, which should be more than enough.

Old 10 October 2001, 01:47 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

I've set my turbo timer on 2 minutes,just for some extra insurance. However if I set it on auto, (Blitz dual turbo timer), and say I've come off a motorway after a bit of a thrash and drive slowly under 2500revs for a couple of minutes and switch off the engine, the timer allows the engine to idle for only 10 seconds before switching off. On auto it is always a minimum of 10 seconds. The highest I've seen after a thrashing with the timer set on auto is around 55 seconds.

Cheers,

Wrexy.
Old 10 October 2001, 01:58 PM
Hunk
Scooby Regular

Question

Just curious, where's the danger in refueling with the engine still running?

Old 10 October 2001, 06:05 PM
bren@apex
Former Sponsor

I only let the car idle for ages if its had a good thrashing immediately before I stop. If Ive just been using the turbo a bit then I let it idle for a couple of minutes but if Ive been taking it very steady for the last few miles then I only let it idle for 30 secs or so. Id ALWAYS let it idle for a few minutes after pulling off a motorway as even 80mph cruising will get the turbo glowing slightly.

Bren
Old 10 October 2001, 06:42 PM
DazW
Scooby Regular

Talking

I was given my Certificate of Approval after having my alarm fitted with my turbo timer - so I assume it met thatcham standards, as for not leaving your car whilst the turbo timer is counting down, dont worry, see what happens when you take the handbrake off/ engage 1st

[This message has been edited by DazW (edited 11 October 2001).]