Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So should I do it,
God I just don't know,
Yes I know the 22b is much more diffcult to drive,
But the P1 is so easy,
But it's going to have to be a import,
S**t I'll lose my safty blanket,

Please help me I need a good nights sleep.
Old 08 October 2001, 04:44 PM
adge
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

Go for it, you know it makes sense. Took my mate out in mine and he has just got rid of his P1 and he thought the 22b was awesome. I have just done 1500 miles to Magny Cours and back in mine and loved every minute of it.
Old 08 October 2001, 04:59 PM
Neil Micklethwaite
Scooby Regular

Stop wibbeling and do it ya jessie .

UK or Import ?

Keep me posted
Old 08 October 2001, 05:05 PM
Topjimo
Scooby Regular

Cool

It will have to be an Import, as UK's are still a bit on the steep side price wise.

What problems will I face?
Has anyone got one for sale?

If I get 10 more vote's then that's it I'll buy one next week.

Old 08 October 2001, 05:08 PM
Neil Micklethwaite
Scooby Regular

Have you checked TopMarques ?

P.S. I can't read properly re Import question.
Old 08 October 2001, 05:09 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Cool

I take it the light business is good m8 !!??

GO FOR IT! Two of my friends in Hull have UK 22 B's and they are simply awesome.

All the best,

Mossman
Old 08 October 2001, 05:11 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

22B's are, IMHO, a far superior car to the P1. It is so much more rewarding to drive than the P1, and faster too.

P1's are great cars, I just think 22B's are better Everytime we go out in Adam's car, it always feels so much more of an event.

Cem

Trending Topics

Old 08 October 2001, 05:55 PM
Steve001
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
YES go for it.....

22B no question

or maybe the P1

what a position to be in!

yep the P1 NO the 22B

help! now im goin MAD!

Whatever you decide, both machines are at the pinicle of scooby ownership (oops! is a flame suit required?)

Good luck

Steve

Old 08 October 2001, 06:16 PM
harj
Scooby Regular

Cool

22B anyday, ive been fortunate enough to look after Rich Squire's car and beleive me they are awesome!!!!!

"Everytime we go out in Adam's car, it always feels so much more of an event"

Blow Job

Is it an event because your head is always between his lap when he's driving LOL
Old 08 October 2001, 06:24 PM
PAUL GEE
Scooby Regular

Get it bought lad,
I've just bought mine again!!!!
£20k from the business.

Now where are the keys................
Old 08 October 2001, 06:31 PM
Danny Fisher
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Blow Dog:
<B>Everytime we go out in Adam's car, it always feels so much more of an event.

Cem[/quote]

Cem, I think this comes more down to Adam's driving ability...

Dan
Old 08 October 2001, 07:54 PM
Neil Micklethwaite
Scooby Regular

..... and irrespective of which car you get - Yes you are mad ( See karting thread )
Old 08 October 2001, 08:05 PM
Stevie
Scooby Regular

Hi mate,

Do it, you know it makes sense.

I was in our friendly dealers last week and there was a 22B parked outside. They carry so much more presence and having been in both Lister's modified P1 and Harj's/Mr Squires 22B round the 'Ring, I know which I would have

SYS
Old 08 October 2001, 09:52 PM
FASTER MIKE!!
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Go for it!! have a look in the Privates section i think theirs was a one there some time in the last week 25K sounds quite reasonable for a 22b.
Old 08 October 2001, 11:46 PM
SCD Simon
Scooby Regular

Received 47 Likes on 13 Posts
Wink

1000 UK P1'S (COOL)
400 ISH 22B'S WORLDWIDE (COOLER)

CHEERS SCD Simon
Old 09 October 2001, 01:13 AM
David 1982
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

22b.

I have spent a lot of time with two and without doubt the 22b is far superior. It looks and drives far better.

Dad and I can't work out why people say the 22b is harder to drive/live with, it's not its far more rewording. True it has slightly firmer suspension, but if this really bothers you, you can always change the spring rates.

The steering is more direct, the cornering is amazing thanks to the wider p-zero's and after a drive, you will get out looking back at the car with a grin from ear to ear - seriously.

My dad and I have been lucky enough to drive both and we chose the 22b.

I could go on about the exclusivity, better interior, seam welded body shell, those wide arches and gold bbs wheels, but I think I've made my point!

Cheers

David
Old 09 October 2001, 08:47 AM
DominicA
Scooby Regular

Wink

Just to disagree with everyone else, I say it depends on where you do most of your driving. If it's a trackday special you want then get the 22b, if it's a city shopper then keep the P1.....
Old 09 October 2001, 09:48 AM
Rhodie
Scooby Regular

Topjimo,

I've had mine since May(import). I tested many vehicles including P1,996-4wd,Jags Mercs etc. P1 is very quick point to point-no question. 22B is in a different league a little harsher,huge torque,very direct, massive road holding. I drove a 22b against a 996-4wd and chose the 22b. Every time I drive it, it puts a smile on the face and that is what counts for me. Now I've got use to it I'm ready for upgrading-6pots,350bhp,leda.

Richard and Adam please advise.

ps. I don't exactly use it for shopping,but it is not as harsh as you may think. Also depreciation may be a little less than others. Good luck.

Old 09 October 2001, 10:24 AM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Drove P1 for interest sake after having mine for ages.

No comparison.

Imports are better, more manic gearing.

If you want to mod it, dont buy it unless you are keeping it forever.

People tend to know what has happened to a car especially on this board.

I drive mine everyday (but not for a month ), it is utter nonsense about it not being usable or harder to drive.

It will bite if you arent careful, much more so than a P1, but that means being careful on wet roundabouts.

Low down torque is awesome, and you never see them on the road.

But.

If you arent in love with the car, theer is no reason to have it over any other impreza. I personally think you would be better off with an sti 5 type r, and pocket the 15k difference. The P1 is just over priced, and if you are prepared for import ownership anyway then go for one of those.

Since I am in love with the car and would like to think I always will be, I can justify the extra money.
Old 09 October 2001, 11:36 AM
Topjimo
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thanks for all your advice, I already own a P1 (inc Alcon's, down pipe etc) and yes it is a great car, and yes I do go shopping in it, (the girl freind can't drive)

Adam, I think your right, I am in love with the 22b and I am looking for more excitment.

I do around 14K a year, so I will pile on loads on miles, is this a bad thing?

Old 09 October 2001, 12:30 PM
WREXY
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

What? You have the cash, there is one available and you're thinking about it? Go for it. I would without a doubt. Plus you have quite a few guys on here who own these, and are very helpful and knowledgeable, such as Adam, who has done some rather cool mods to his 22B. To be able to come on here and ask, or discuss, or advise, gives owning a scoob, the icing on the cake. Buy it, I'm sure you won't regret.

Cheers,

Wrexy.
Old 09 October 2001, 05:39 PM
Topjimo
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thanks every one.

P1 is up for sale,

an it's time to go shopping. Anbody know where I can find a nice 22B?
Old 09 October 2001, 06:43 PM
PAUL GEE
Scooby Regular

Ring Steve Phillips on 07721496006.
When I spoke to him last week, he was about to pick one up from a customer who was selling it to make way for his 360M.

Paul.
Old 09 October 2001, 06:54 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
Cool

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Adam M:
<B>Drove P1 for interest sake after having mine for ages.

No comparison.

Imports are better, more manic gearing.

If you want to mod it, dont buy it unless you are keeping it forever.

People tend to know what has happened to a car especially on this board.

I drive mine everyday (but not for a month ), it is utter nonsense about it not being usable or harder to drive.

It will bite if you arent careful, much more so than a P1, but that means being careful on wet roundabouts.

Low down torque is awesome, and you never see them on the road.

But.

If you arent in love with the car, theer is no reason to have it over any other impreza. I personally think you would be better off with an sti 5 type r, and pocket the 15k difference. The P1 is just over priced, and if you are prepared for import ownership anyway then go for one of those.

Since I am in love with the car and would like to think I always will be, I can justify the extra money.[/quote]

Adam couldnt disagree with u more about having an sti5typeR over a P1. I not think it over priced at all.

Every opinion i have read in every motoring mag says point to point in this country the P1 is quicker than 22b. I not having pop at 22b at all, think its a wonderful car, but id rather have P1 over it.

I ran an sti5typeR for 6 months and wasnt impressed by the road holding at all.The drive set up was all different and the power split ratios at 65 rear and 35 front meant for scary driving in the wet and not impressive performance over twisty A and B roads. The overall ride was very twitchy, and i feel was more suitable for track driving. The gear ratios were very short so motorway driving meant 180 miles a tank max.

The P1 is specifically set up by prodrive to run on UK roads, and all round makes an impressive drive over stitypeRs. If youre into seat of your pants driving and love a tail happy car than by all means go for the import 2 door.

Im quite happy to be back in a car which makes me feel safe wet or dry, has ABS and even looks wise is a lot better. I was fed up of hearing reports that my import could be stolen, had no reliable service history, and knowing that if a piston went awol i would be left with a knockout bill, with the warranty company ignoring me.

Yes the P1 was £13000 more than the 3 year old sti, but for me was worth every penny.

At end of day each to his own i not in the business of slating scoobys, ive had 3 of them!

[This message has been edited by scoobynutta555 (edited 09 October 2001).]
Old 09 October 2001, 07:12 PM
zoog
Scooby Regular

Cool

Have a look at my friends site
Old 09 October 2001, 07:58 PM
DominicA
Scooby Regular

Smile

Well then, quite a difference of opinion. Seeing as i'm completely impartial as i've got the RB5 and yes I have driven all the cars except the UK300WR I guess i'm probably giving as good an unbiased view as any of yer. As I said before - the P1 on the ROAD is a fantastic car, no two ways about it.Would I have one, YES (if I wanted a 2door car). I love the 22B, would I have one, YES (even though it only has 2 doors). Would it be the most practical and sensible buy, probably not. If I could keep the RB5 for everyday use and use the 22B for weekends and track....ah now we're talking....

Old 09 October 2001, 09:08 PM
scoobynutta555
Scooby Regular

Location: Markyate.Imprezas owned:-wrx-sti5typeR-p1-uk22b-modded my00. Amongst others!
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by zoog:
<B>Have a look at my friends site
Old 09 October 2001, 10:26 PM
NAT...
Scooby Newbie

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH ADAM ON THIS 22B VS P1,
I AM ON MY SECOND 22B.THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAVE FOUND(EXCEPT FOR CLUTCHES,WHICH I THINK SOULD BE UPGRADED)ARE I HAVE FOUND PARTS CAN BE VERY EXPENSIVE.....
22B IMPORT *****
Old 10 October 2001, 03:04 PM
Topjimo
Scooby Regular

Talking

The reson for the change would be because the 22b is a little more testing to drive, don't get me wrong my P1 is brill better than other P1 I've driven even, but it's too good, I can drive at full tilt every where with out even try'in. Is it me or have cars got to good, remember when 120 bhp was lots and a time when 205's slipped of the road backwards, my point 100% is the 996 is crap because it's to good.

God I'm still having sleepless nights,
Old 10 October 2001, 04:24 PM
Adam M
Scooby Regular

Dont have sleepless nights.

If you love the car then do it.

I do 14k a year, dont worry about it. It will stand up to it.

Residuals are also by far the best of any impreza, but I still feel that is unimportant if I am never going to sell it.

I dont see my car as a stop gap until I buy another car. Short of a 355 or F40 there is no other car I would have. There is certainly no other everyday car.

Scoobynutta 555 is right about the P1 potentially being faster point to point on B roads. It certainly doesnt provoke the smile.

I compared P1s to sti 5s and I stand by what I said.

The honing of the P1 mostly comes from its suspension settings, not its mechanical torque distribution.

The diffs are there because they were not compatible with ABS, so in the process you lose the better centre diff, the better rear diff, the stronger drive shafts and the better 2 pot rear brakes.

But to remove the quick rack for me was just a joke.

For the money you save buying the type r you could simply add back in the parts you are talking about and have a big wad of spare change.

How you can say the P1 looks better than an sti 5 I dont know. It has a slightly different spoiler and front lip, silly plastic side strips, a smaller rev counter, funny badge work, and 17 inch wheels. Hardly a huge difference.

But that isnt the comparison, we are talking 22B here not type R, and in that respect, it is a different ball game.

The quick rack and wider track make the steering of the 22B much more direct. The wider tyres make it feel more capable on dry roads, although it can feel skittish over bumps.

It certainly isnt seat of your pants on no I am losing her. It is very easy to make incredible progress and on nearly all roads, the only difference between it and any other 280 bhp impreza is down to the ***** of the driver.

The main difference is the grin factor, and the knowledge (if you care about it) that your car turns more heads than any other impreza. Drive behind one and you will know what i mean.

Come across an evo and you get a nod of respect because they know you chose a car for its own merits.

It is flawed, but these flaws add to its character and if you dont like it, then you can sort them.

Theer is no question, back to back the P1 felt weak and almost dull. I came away from the test drive expecting to be seriously impressed all I can say is that I was entirely underwhelmed. If that was the best that subaru could come up with, I would be more than happy to stick with the 22B. If for some reason that had to go, I would be looking to mitsubishi or nissan for an alternative.

This is not to say the P1 isnt amazing, but on relative grounds having driven the 22B, sorry, there is just reason to consider it.

Quick Reply: P1 to 22B, or am I MAD