Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Good ridence, Pile of Pants Sti Type UK

Search this Thread

Old 13 December 2002, 09:26 AM
Chris Barn
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Finally got rid of the car that has dogged my life for the past 6 months. They are horribly inferior to the old imprezas, have no character, the dealerships have gone down the pan, they are supposed to be a drivers cars, yet you have to pay £2000 to get a upgrade package to make them drivable in day to day situations. On track days they are just plain boring, turn in at any speed with your foot down and they just go round, quite frankly a 2CV would be more fun. subaru need to know handling is a subjective thing not just how much grip a car has. Build quality is poor, my car had 3 suspension struts fitted in 6 months and still the knocking noise was not 100% cured, it rattled and the cup holder is a joke (admittedly not the reason you buy a car like this)

To add insult to injury, subaru UK launch the new facelifted model hours after most people have had their car delivered, after waiting 3 months for their "new" car to arrive. And have the ***** to drop the price to (a rumoured) £23,000 pounds, hence devaluing your pride and joy to a level that would only apply to a Lada Riva.

so it is that I have swallowed my pride and lost £6500 pounds in 6 months on a car which is crap and traded it in.

It goes on Monday and for the first time I am not going to take the car out for a final blast up my favorite country road, I just carn't be bothered.

what have i traded it i for???? an Aga oven.... It won't depreciate as much, it will work for ever, it does exactly what it says on the tin, without having to spend £2000 on a PPP (Prodrive Propoganda Pack) and will turn heads on a track day..

Old 13 December 2002, 09:30 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Wink

Sure quite a few owners on here will agree with you but personally I suggest 25mg of Prozac or Seroxat to be taken daily with liquid coupled with some cognitive therapy

Old 13 December 2002, 09:33 AM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

LOL@SiPie

[Edited by Rasher - 12/13/2002 9:34:34 AM]
Old 13 December 2002, 09:36 AM
Scot123
Scooby Regular

On track days they are just plain boring, turn in at any speed with your foot down and they just go round

That's an EVO your describing, surely?
Old 13 December 2002, 10:17 AM
Scooby-Doo
Scooby Regular

You will look great going round copice on an Oven

Better luck with the new car.
Old 13 December 2002, 10:34 AM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Aga Oven.....

Go for the "Hob" upgrade, with 7 inches "Rings" its worth it

J
Old 13 December 2002, 10:50 AM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Location: Throwing myself down a mountain at every opportunity...
Fair play chris, you cant expect to please everyone. For every person with your opinion there are x many that love their Sti's. That doesnt make you right or them right, as you said it is subjective. PPP or not its still a whole lot of car for the money. I'm planning on upgrading to an sti8 within 18 months, and I can't think of any other car that would be better (for my circumstances) for the money.

Good luck with the Aga
Old 13 December 2002, 10:51 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Wink

Go for the "Hob" upgrade, with 7 inches "Rings" its worth it
LOL But you don't suggest oven upgrades to people with suicidal tendancies

What if he goes one step further and converts it to LPG
Old 13 December 2002, 11:05 AM
ScoobySnack
Scooby Regular

Old 13 December 2002, 12:14 PM
Apple
Scooby Regular

Smile

so he can do flameouts / burnouts...?
Old 13 December 2002, 12:18 PM
Kippax
Scooby Regular

Question

isnt loosing 6.5k in six months completely normal
Old 13 December 2002, 12:41 PM
+Doc+
Scooby Senior

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
I take it you didnt like it then???
Old 13 December 2002, 01:14 PM
XRS
Scooby Senior

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Unhappy

I must say I enjoyed the ride home in my STi IV much more than the test drive when I tried out the STi VII.

Still, I can't help thinking that the 8 might be a better car, but maybe that'll only be when the JDM car gets here....
Old 13 December 2002, 01:16 PM
clubby
Scooby Regular

I love my Sti. "Not driveable" without PPP, don't make me laugh - rev the b@stard a little harder.
Build quality-your strut is probably a supplier problem. To me build quality means the way the thing is bolted together, not the relaibility of individual parts.

It's your opinion I know, but to me I would have kept the car and spread the depreciation loss over a longer period. Thats what I'm doing.
Every manufacturer changes their models frequently, thats entirely common.

Old 13 December 2002, 01:22 PM
Skippyscoob
Scooby Regular

Is this the mutual depreciation society? If there's one sure way to make these cars depreciate, it's to keep slagging 'em off at every opportunity. If you don't like 'em, you know what you can do. The words a**e, up your, and shove it, spring immediately to mind.
Old 13 December 2002, 01:24 PM
clubby
Scooby Regular

I'm with Skippyscoob - go buy a BMW so I can laugh at you when you get stuck in 3 mm of snow.
Old 13 December 2002, 01:28 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Lol @ Clubby & Skippyscoob
Old 13 December 2002, 01:33 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

Straight from the Jeremy Clarkson book of exageration ?

Headline grabbing, attention seeking ?

Mine hasn't skipped a beat in 4 months/18,000 miles and I think its pretty much perfect.

Can't please all of the ppl etc etc etc.
Old 13 December 2002, 01:42 PM
Skippyscoob
Scooby Regular

Wink

By the way, if there are any kids reading this, don't try that at home. Leave it to the experts, like the guy at the top of this thread. Anyway, it smarts like hell.........
Old 13 December 2002, 01:58 PM
Beastman666
Scooby Regular

Chris I wish to congratulate you on being totally honest and sharing what you think about the current state of the subaru range of cars. Some of the post on here are quite frankly pathetic.
Old 13 December 2002, 02:02 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Hey,

Calm it down guys!! I happen to completely disagree with Chris but just because you do too, that's no reason to jump down his throat and start insulting him!! No wonder every other thread seems to turn into a flame war!!!

Personally, I think the STi is a great drivers car and I don't mind keeping the revs above 4000 to keep it in the power. I will be changing this but I don't see this as a particular weakness and is a byproduct of the Euro emmissions laws more than being directly Subaru's fault. On the build front, I think it's good and way better than previous Scoobs and I also love the handling and I've had not a single reliability problem with mine. I also disagree with the ideal that you can't drive them fast round corners or that they are rubbish on track and there are many people who have tracked their STi's and managed to do fast laps without spinning.

And that's my opinion, which is entirely as valid as Chris', and diametrically opposed!!!

Matt
Old 13 December 2002, 02:05 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Wink

P.S. Beast Ghost Dam man (or whatever your name is () - it can't be often we agree with each other?
Old 13 December 2002, 02:05 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Wink

Beastman 666

sharing what you think about the current state of the subaru range of cars
Think you'll find that Chris was commenting on one specific model and not the subaru range

He hasn't even started on the Justy ,I hate to think what he'll say about that

We'll need to cut him down from the rafters
Old 13 December 2002, 02:07 PM
Jon1T
Scooby Regular

Angry

"If you don't like 'em, you know what you can do. The words a**e, up your, and shove it, spring immediately to mind."

...and that ladies and gentlemen, demonstrate everything that is going wrong with scoobynet. The original poster doesn't like his Sti - fair enough, and he's given his reasons. So someone has to start dishing out personal abuse for daring to air their opnions...

[Edited by Jon1T - 12/13/2002 2:09:14 PM]
Old 13 December 2002, 02:07 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

You can still do fast laps, not spin on track - but that does not make them good track cars.

Personally I found my WRX dull on track, I think it had a lot do to with the fact it had loads of grip but wasn't that fast. An STi may make a better proposition.
Old 13 December 2002, 02:08 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Which ones in particular Beastman? The one pointing out that he is totally allowed to have his own opinion, in the same way that people who love the car are? Or maybe the one which points out that depreciation is standard on every car type, and that all manufacturers update their ranges? Or the one pointing out that build quality is nothing to do with a single part problem? Or the one pointing out that you'd struggle to find a better all-round car for the money?

Jeez...
Old 13 December 2002, 02:09 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Mutant Matt

In defence of Chris I'll plead guilty to perhaps setting the tone for the rest of this thread but in all honesty, if someone posts this:-

It goes on Monday and for the first time I am not going to take the car out for a final blast up my favorite country road, I just carn't be bothered
then they deserve a flaming if ever I saw one

PS IMHO

Old 13 December 2002, 02:13 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

SiPie,

Rubbish THB!! Why does that deserve a flaming? Becuase he's lost all intrest in the car which he clearly doesn't like? Personally, I can't agree with anything he said but that neither deserves a flaming or some of the comments he's had:
I'm with Skippyscoob - go buy a BMW so I can laugh at you when you get stuck in 3 mm of snow.
If you don't like 'em, you know what you can do. The words a**e, up your, and shove it, spring immediately to mind.

Matt.
Old 13 December 2002, 02:14 PM
Edcase
Scooby Regular

Yes not to mention the BLATANTLY baiting / trolling 'good riddance pile of pants sti type uk.'

I mean, come on....
Old 13 December 2002, 02:25 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Wink

Mutant Matt...

I'm normally pretty dipomatic when it comes to flaming people and tend not to jump down too many peoples throats.

BUT

Smeone comes on here with an 'outspoken' swipe (as pointed out by Edcase) at our beloved marque's top of the range model and we can't even take take the mickey out of him ... just a teeny weeny wee bit?

I'm lucky I haven't bought one, but believe you me I've lost enough money on a classic and had more than my fair share of problems with it in 14 months... but do I come up with petty attention grabbing flame provoking posts like that?
No, because I enjoy it too much when it is working

We are only having a bit of fun with the guy and if he dishes out comments like that then what else do expect peeps to say ???

Surely the guy did test drive the car before he bought it . Even without ppp I think he'd know then if he was going to like it or not (rattles I presume were not there initially)

He'll be taking us to court next for defamation of an Aga cooker

[Edited by SiPie - 12/13/2002 2:29:17 PM]

Quick Reply: Good ridence, Pile of Pants Sti Type UK