ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

New owner with some questions

Search this Thread

Old 14 December 2002, 07:59 AM
bassoctopus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

Just bought a MY2000 Green Impreza saloon, after owning a 200SX for three years. I had an S2000 for a week, but the main Honda dealer tried to rip me off with an import of unknown origin by pretending it was a UK car. As I was unable to find another S2000 at a good price immediately, and I was left without a car, I was tempted by the Impreza: June 2000, 35k miles, one owner for 12995 from a main dealer. Seemed like a good price and I haven't looked back since!!! I'm a bit shocked by the fuel consumption, but the reduction in insurance from the honda should pay for that!! What a joy it is to be able to put all that power down in the wet without the back end waking me up!!

Anyway, my questions are:

1) Is there anything you can recommend to clean my lovely Subaru badged calipers, which are looking a bit grotty!

2) Is it the head unit or the speakers which let the stereo down (or both!?)? The car's got a cd changer but the sound is terrible, the mid range just cuts my head off!!! Are those tweeters in the doors next to the handles, or are they just spaces to put tweeters in?

Thanks

Neil
Old 14 December 2002, 09:00 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Tweeters - I'm not sure about about tweeters being standard or not. In my case i have JBL mids and tweeters, which Subaru fitted when the car was new, but i don't know if it was an option or not. I have moved the tweeters to the triangle bit, that the wing mirrors are bolted to. This lifted the soundstage nicely.
Calipers - The only way to sort this would be a rub down and re-paint. There are one or two threads on instructions for this. You may find them if you use the search facility.
Old 14 December 2002, 09:34 AM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi Neil

Welcome to the club

Stereos in Scoobs are nasty horrible cheap things (let's face it, this wasn't the resaon you bought the car). Remembering back to my MY00, I believe that they were fitted with tweaters by the door handle (not that they make that much difference). The speakers themselves are equally bad - horrible paper cones. My advice would be to do some searches in the ICE forum. You should only need to spend £100 or so to get a decent set of front speakers. Infinity 605s are recommended (I use these in my MY01 - very good).

Brake calipers - not easy. Don't use products such as 'Wonderwheels' as you'll find that the calipers turn a horrible off white colour. Best bet is take the wheel off and clean them by hand. Once this is done - it shouldn't be too difficult to keep them clean.

Cheers Chris

Oh yeah, get a decent back box fitted
Old 14 December 2002, 12:45 PM
p1 tud
Scooby Regular

paint brake calipers with hammerite or folia tec paint. rub over gently with some emery paper first though. then with a steady hand go over the subaru letters with a touch up pen in a contrasting colour. hope this is of some use.
Old 14 December 2002, 12:52 PM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

Hi Neil and welcome aboard

Don't worry about your stereo, just stick a decent exhaust on it, decat middle, remove the resonator section and stick on a firestorm back box then the last thing you will want to listen to is the stereo!!!!!!!

As for brakes do what the last guy said or stick on a brake mod and problem goes away !!!!

Enjoy

Old 14 December 2002, 01:43 PM
Fuzz
Scooby Regular

Apart from the god awful reception I don't think the standard stereo is bad at all.
I bought the car with uprated speakers and it sounds great.
But with the rear passenger window down slightly, who needs a stereo
Jet plane anyone ?

Andy
Old 14 December 2002, 02:07 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Talking

My MY99 has the space for the tweeters next to the door handle. There weren't any tweeters in their with the standard stereo but I got them added along with nice new front speakers. Makes a big difference, especially the tweeters. Take the door card off and have a look, you'll be surprise how easy it is to pop off