Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Getting a Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2000, 05:23 PM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone want to explain the exact reasons why a Subaru Dealer won't let me test drive a scooby turbo unless I agree to buy the car?

As many of you know I'm seriously looking at a scooby (5 door, prob WRX)

The one, well, probably one of many thing, I've not done is to actaully sit, let alone drive a scooby turbo. This is a bit silly.

Why? well I'm not a small chap, six foot four and aprox 14 stone (but had big lunch!), thus I might not actually fit in the car. Also, I might not actually like the driving position, style, handling, ect.. of the scooby (surely not!)

So (guess what is coming next),

I've emailed Lockyear cars asking if they'd let me test drive, but I've not heard back yet. I'm also going to phone Graham at GDA and see if he'll do the same.

If I don't get a favourable response from them then what I need to know is:

Where in the Kent (I'm in Tunbridge Wells) area can I find someone who is willing to let me sit and possibly drive thier car. NOTE: This might be on my own, or with my partner and her two kiddies.
I'm really after a motot dealer type dude. Nothing against you lot but I don't think you'd want me and/or my significant others traipsing over you beloved car, or driving it.

So, any ideas?

(at some point I *will* shut up and buy a scooby and stop hassling you and the BBS, miffed that I've not been kicked off the BBS by now!)
Old 18 February 2000, 05:35 PM
leeb
Scooby Newbie

Sounds like you are getting a hard time !
I am 6ft 2 and can fit in nicely, in fact I think they are made for tall blokes like
us !!

Why don't you try Waldonways Subaru in Maidstone or Barretts in Canterbury they are very helpful. Or go the other route and jump on a ferry and save a few grand by buying in Holland.

Good luck !
Old 18 February 2000, 05:48 PM
James Adlington
Scooby Regular

Smile

I'm 6'3" and fit with room to spare - no silly sunroof to get in the way .
Old 18 February 2000, 05:59 PM
Stef
Scooby Regular

I didn't think Subaru dealers sold WRX's.
If you told them you were after a WRX, that may expalin why they won't let you drive one of their cars.
There's also the incidents involving test drives too of course (accidents et al).

Stef.
Old 18 February 2000, 06:15 PM
IainT
Scooby Regular

Talking

I'm six foot 5" and I have no problems.
Old 18 February 2000, 07:42 PM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

6'7" - just about fit
Old 18 February 2000, 07:49 PM
DavidG
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

So, let's have a BBS basketball team, then .

The worst Scooby test drive accident was caused by the dealer showing off (allegedly), not by the prospective buyer. It's the recent one where a doctor was killed.

I'd suggest you phone in advance to book a test drive. Some dealers won't do one without an appointment so don't give them the excuse.
Old 18 February 2000, 08:40 PM
Dave Thornton
Scooby Regular

Go during the week, take your other half, and arrive in a decent car and clothes - works every time.
Old 18 February 2000, 08:57 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Talking

Recently went to a local Scooby Dealer and parked my STI V right in the middle of the forecourt as I was looking at a Forester S Turbo - ended up driving their MY00 Scooby for half an hour with the salesman - most helpful.

Lockyear should let you test drive a car - they are import dealers - or you could trek round to Alton - 90mins from Tunbridge Wells to try Park Lane - loads - and I mean LOADs, of imports and very helpful.

Cheers,

Rannoch
Old 21 February 2000, 12:35 AM
blubs
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Agree with Dave on this one. I took my wife and sprog with me to actually order a test drive, (took about a week to organise), no problems.
Previous attempts at other garages without family in tow had seen polite but mostly negative responses.

blubs.

ps I'm a hefty, (but curiously endearing), character and find the Scoob perfect
Old 21 February 2000, 12:55 AM
SteveM
Scooby Regular

Hi all,

I was chatting to my dealer in Cornwall about this very subject 2 weeks ago and his official line was that if you walk in off the street with your mates no chance. Which to be honest is fair.

But if you show genuine interest, which obviously are and take the time to book a test drive then he has no problems in a test drive. I got a drive before ordering mine. So i think Leeb is right and you are getting a hard time.

Why not contact Subaru UK direct to arrange a test drive. You can deal direct with them and bypass your local dealer. They'll probably arrange the test drive with the local dealer anyway which will probably p**s him off but at least he won't be able to refuse you then.

SteveM

P.S I'm 5'7" and fit in mine OK.

Old 21 February 2000, 11:39 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

Glad to see I'm not the only 'freak' out there.

Went to GDA in Crowborough on Saturday afternoon and had a little play with a WRX saloon! Have still to wipe the big grin off my face. I love the thing!!!! If it was a Wagon I would have bought it on the spot!

Cheers to all of you.

Stef:
Yup, scooby dealers won't sell or touch WRX's which is a pain as I'm gonna want a dog guard for the WRX wagon, guess I'll get GDA to get me one.
Old 21 February 2000, 02:52 PM
Stu
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I bought my car from Lockyear, they were very polite, helpful and they let me test drive it even though I turned up in a citroen AX! I suggest calling them (01403 891700)and speaking to Steven Wright.
Old 21 February 2000, 03:10 PM
chuckster
Scooby Regular

Talking

Im 6'3 and have loads of room - have had test drives at Park lane for the wrx's and Lancaster Sevenoaks for the UK cars - both were very helpful - I think there was an advantage to calling ahead on the phone and making an appoinment - when you do that and show up on time it helps demonstrate that you are serious about buying and not just an opportunist tire kicker lookin for a free ride.
Old 21 February 2000, 10:05 PM
xHammy
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy

Could someone tell me what salesmen look for when you walk through the door. I was looking at hot hatches before I decided on something larger, and I had no luck at all. My local Citroen dealer couldn't be bothered to talk to me, my Peugeot dealer said they'd get a 106 GTi for me to test and I'm still waiting. The Renault dealer showed no interest in selling me a 16v Clio. However, Audi, BMW and Subaru all had me out on a test drive within 5 minutes of my arrival. In all cases I turned up in a knackered Fiat Uno Turbo wearing jeans and unshaven.
Martin.
Old 21 February 2000, 10:22 PM
Paul Wilson
Scooby Regular

If you get refused a test drive at a franchised dealer, just ask for a dealer list, when they ask why, just say you'll be another dealer to buy a car from them as they don't seem to be intersted.
Old 21 February 2000, 10:34 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
best test drive people i have come accross are vauxhall. I rang them up and told them i was interested in either a scooby sport or a vectra SRi 2.0i.

They got the exact model i wanted off me and delivered a car to my works in 3 days to drive for 2 days then picked it back up from work.

I was well impressed and nearly bought the car as it is quicker than the scooby sport and full of toys. Came to my senses in the end and got the sport but i allmost didn't.
Old 22 February 2000, 09:27 AM
robman
Scooby Regular

I'm knee-high to a sparrow and will probably have to wear spice girl shoes to reach the pedals :-)

But anyway, my local dealer (Stoke on Trent) was v. helpful and even offered to let me take out the owner's wife's 5 door if I really needed to feel the difference with the 4 door.

I turned up in jeans and skateboard shoes but they treated me very nicely indeed. Would have bought an MY00 from them if I hadn't gone into a newsagent that afternoon and found out about importing from Holland...

R
Old 22 February 2000, 04:11 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

I bought my car from Lockyear, and (as Stu says) they were happy to give me a test drive. Having said that, I did turn up in my previous scoob.

Bear in mind that both Steve Wright & Sean Lockyear no longer work at Lockyear Cars - they've both moved to Park Lane in Alton (apparently Lockyear are "moving away" from performance cars, hence their moves).

If a dealer refuses to give you a test drive, challenge them to give you a reason. If they can't complain to Subaru UK, and then go to another dealer. The original dealer will soon get the message if you pop in to "thank him for his help" driving your new car (from which he made no sales commission). Alternatively, go the whole hog and buy an STI/WRX through a grey importer, and then pop by. Park it in the middle of the forecourt whilst you go and explain how you'll no longer need the test drive. If the effect is anything like that when I parked my STI outside Bell & Colvill, you'll drive away with a smile on your face...
Old 22 February 2000, 04:12 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

By the way, I'm 6'1", and weigh around 13.5 stone, and have no problem fitting in the scoob.
Old 22 February 2000, 04:23 PM
DavidG
Scooby Regular

Funny that about Lockyear. I dropped in there a couple of weeks ago. They had some tasty performance cars there but also a couple of those funny "smart" cars.

MarkO - what <I>was</I> the reaction you got from B&C?
Old 22 February 2000, 04:34 PM
Steve Godson
Scooby Regular

Smile

I must say Mill lane Subaru (Near Basingstoke, Hampshire) were very helpful, when I wanted to test drive about a year ago,
arranging it with only a couple of day's notice.
Incidentally, Ralliart (Mitsubishi) wrote to invite me for a test drive of the EVO VI, which I am doing this weekend, I'll see what the reception is like from them.....
Old 22 February 2000, 04:44 PM
Blow Dog
Scooby Regular

I had my test drive with Dear Leap in Aylesbury. They were very helpful and arranged a test drive within the hour. Dont forget though, these people are salesmen, so expevt them to be 'nice'. Thats what they live off.
With regards to turning up with friends, i did just that, 3 of us turned up in jeans and t-shirts and we had no problems. Although I should imagine now that the Impreza is a well known car, more baseball caps are visiting showrooms now.
Cem
Old 22 February 2000, 04:54 PM
Scottie
Scooby Regular

All I can say is come to Scotland.

Turned up in Jeans, T shirt and baseball cap to have a look. Bloke took details and told me to contact another salesman who would arrange a test drive (had a 9K miles MY98)

Phoned following Monday and arranged test drive for the Saturday.

Turned up with wife on Saturday (again in Jeans, T shirt and baseball cap) to be told sorry, we've sold the MY98 car and can't get hold of a new demo. BUT, there's the keys to a MY97 car (nice tidy 4door), its got 3/4 of a tank of petrol, away and have a play for the day.

Came back after a few hours and was shown around brand new my99 car - different dash, seats, etc, and had all differences explained to me.

Needless to say, I sourced my car through them.

Scott.
Old 23 February 2000, 08:45 AM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Re: my STI at B&C....

It wasn't so much the reaction that B&C gave me themselves, as the reaction I got from customers there. Despite the Esprits, Elises and other scoobs on their forecourt, the STI generated quite a bit of interest, and I'm sure there were a few enquiries about the "new coupe Impreza" afterwards...

Old 23 February 2000, 11:45 AM
BarryK
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Maybe a bit of trek for the original poster of this thread.

I asked if I could test drive a turbo when I was having my Sport serviced at Robinson's in Rochdale. They hadn't done one for six months or more they said, but perhaps me saying I would not drive the "test drive of death" helped. They did and I didn't.

I also figure they knew I was not just farting around, which also helps. They even let my six year old son examine the swatches for him to decide which colour it should be!