ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Car washing techniques?

Search this Thread

Old 18 December 2002, 09:58 AM
peccy
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

What do you lot use to wash your scooby and keep it protected though-out the winter? shampoo?, polish?, wax? and what brand of cleaning products?
Old 18 December 2002, 10:01 AM
IanW
Scooby Regular

I use all the autoglym stuff. I just cant bring myself to spending the amount in one go on the Wax Wizard stuff.

Over the winter the car gets washed and dried, but i generally dont polish it.
Old 18 December 2002, 10:03 AM
Vanker
Scooby Regular

wax wizard for me looks a treat
Old 18 December 2002, 10:32 AM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Normally i use Autoglym cleaner and Mer polish (cuz it goes on fine while the car is still wet).

Gotta admit that i got lazy the other day. It was raining and i just squirted some fairy liquid on the roof and attacked it with a sponge and the hose.
Old 18 December 2002, 10:41 AM
mista weava
Scooby Regular

auto glym or mer

panel by panel starting with roof.

finishing with wheels

weava

fairy is abrasive

[Edited by mista weava - 12/18/2002 10:42:38 AM]
Old 18 December 2002, 10:48 AM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

fairy is abrasive
To be honest, I couldn't care less about the car right now. I'd have been a happy man if i woke up this morning and someone had crashed into it and wrote it off. I've had nothing but grief since i bought it and i hopefully won't own it after this weekend.

On car's i actually care about i'd only use proper car cleaners. Oh.. and jet wash the underside regularly during winter.
Old 18 December 2002, 10:49 AM
peccy
Scooby Regular

Question

can you use normal car polish on alloy wheels or is there a specfic alloy wheel polish???
Old 18 December 2002, 11:20 AM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

autoglym super resin polish.

Went on a tour of the factory once. They said to start at one end and work to the other putting the polish on. Then back to the start and buff it all off - they said working a panel at a time is unnecessary and takes too long! Also, can be done in direct sunlight etc too with no probs. Put on and buff off in straight, forwards/backwards motion.....

Edit - use the same polish on the wheels - works a treat

[Edited by ScoobyJawa - 12/18/2002 11:24:12 AM]
Old 18 December 2002, 11:23 AM
Fantom
Scooby Regular

well, I haven't washed my car for weeks. I can't be bothered to be honest but I do hate it when its dirty!

Old 18 December 2002, 11:36 AM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

Tiggs Tip: Wash it in September......Start again in May.
Old 18 December 2002, 11:40 AM
JoeyDeacon
Scooby Regular

Cool

Get a silver one and wash it every 6 months. Learnt my lesson after owning a DBM Impreza. Spend 4 hours washing it and waxing it on a saturday only for it to look like complete crap again once it had rained.

The darker a car is the bigger pain in the bum it is to keep clean. I dread to think what it like owning a black car....
Old 18 December 2002, 11:51 AM
mista weava
Scooby Regular

quote "working a panel at a time is unnecessary "

when washing in the summer i find that the panels will dry with soap still on before i rinse - as i don't polish on every occassion i find that smears stay on. washing a panel at a time leaves her gleaming!

weava

joey - i have owned a black car - looks kinky when clean - looks **** when dirty and gets like that very quickly!

[Edited by mista weava - 12/18/2002 11:52:44 AM]
Old 18 December 2002, 11:52 AM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Talking

"Amazing Glaze" the all over paint & fabric treatment from new to keep that showroom shine.

Just water,or shampoo if really bad road grime.Bird muck,clay roadworks fallout & bugs come away with warm water no problem.

It's supposed to last for at least 3 years,guaranteed.Time will tell.Stops water/dirt getting into mats as well.

Wheels have brake dust barrier stuff on them from the big "H".Dust can't get a good hold so comes away with little effort.

Result.Last minute show entry.Quick wipe over that morning.

Mark
Old 18 December 2002, 12:06 PM
Merc_Cosworth
Scooby Regular

Sooper expensive Zymol Wax (not polish)

if you think Autoglym is expensive check this out:

My wax (for the merc only) cost £300 and its worth every penny.

The most expensive one they do is £1200.

Old 18 December 2002, 12:07 PM
ScoobyJawa
Scooby Regular

when washing in the summer i find that the panels will dry with soap still on before i rinse - as i don't polish on every occassion i find that smears stay on. washing a panel at a time leaves her gleaming!
Aye - I was refering to the polish part only, as I agree re washing, it can dry on and look naff in summer before you get to rinse it off Although - never had smears with mine, go over with a chamois and they are gone
Old 18 December 2002, 12:13 PM
FLAT ERIC
Scooby Regular

Location: You only live ONCE But if you do it right >>>>> ONCE is enough
Talking

That is what you call dear.But hey,what price can you put on quality? Wax is cheap(relatively)paint isn't.

Mark
Old 18 December 2002, 12:14 PM
Merc_Cosworth
Scooby Regular

Precisely

The Zymol stuff is almost pure Brazilian Carnuba and all other additives are natural.

No solvents or detergents.

Lasts about six months before it needs another coat.
Old 18 December 2002, 12:43 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Cool

if you think Autoglym is expensive check this out:

My wax (for the merc only) cost £300 and its worth every penny.
I know it's all relative to what you earn etc but you are clearly off your head

Autoglym appears to work ok and used it on all 16 previous cars and all have had stayed shiney

PS IMHO

[Edited by SiPie - 12/18/2002 12:48:13 PM]
Old 18 December 2002, 12:49 PM
dazzaTypeR
Scooby Regular

Must agree with Merc.

Good bud of mine bought a set couple of hundred notes I think. We both spent a whole saturday first doing his M3 and then my scoob.

In all we must have been doing them for 10hrs.

first you washed, then dried, then used some spesh cleanser that removes all old wax residues. then polish of cleanser, then first wax coat, and then a good buffing.

This was back in early sept. I have to say that its fantastic stuff and the cleanser and wax are awsome, the car looks great when it rains cos water just litterally bounces off of the wax.

I'd reccomend it to anyone, especially if you get your mate to buy it and then you use...hahahahha
Old 18 December 2002, 10:56 PM
bugeye
Scooby Regular

ZYMOL is the only wax to use, yes not cheap but you will not find anything better. Being a valeter i was trained by autoglym and zymol.Some of you like mer, would you trust a polish that disolves in water so you can wash your car with it?
As for wax wizard its just a cheap copy of zymol(all be it not that cheap).the guy who set up wax wizard is being sued in the good old usa.To get a profession to zymol a car it should take about 6 to 8 hours and cost about £200 to £350.You can buy it and do it yourself, with a starter kit for about £90
If anyone would like to contact me about zymol you can E-Mail me.
Hope this helps
Old 19 December 2002, 01:14 AM
stephen30
Scooby Regular

I usually wash mine once a week with the jet wash at home. We have some soap that came with it made by karcher. Pretty good and gets the **** of using the brush that attaches to it.
Polish it about once a month with green turtle wax stuff or some other we aquired from a trader.
I was told at some random show somewhere to put the polish on while the car is wet starting at one end. By the time you get to the other the polish has dried where you started. Then buff it off.

Too bloody cold at the moment to be outside for that long though.

Steve
Old 19 December 2002, 02:11 AM
Mr.Manchester
Scooby Regular

I use Diamond Brite or Mer, Diamond brite is supposed to stop the paint from fading and has a 7 Year guarantee, I know its no scoob but it looks clean for a H reg motor!

[Edited by Mr.Manchester - 12/19/2002 2:20:11 AM]
Old 19 December 2002, 07:34 AM
wilf
Scooby Regular

Mer - I wouldnt use that too regularly as its a cutting polish.

Autoglym shampoo polish and finishing polish works best for me. Wash car section at a time down with water then wash by hand then rinse then dry then polish. Once every 2 or 3 months and it stays shiny.
Old 19 December 2002, 10:17 AM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

Wink

Oh Bugeye...what a plonker you are.

please be careful in what you say. I am wax wizard and NO my products are in no way what so ever conected with zymol. I have been a member and contributor to this forum for many years. there in fact many members who use my valet service as I travel anywhere within the UK. The so called "being sued" saga is an old standing one and has run for many years now. As you are so new to this board I suggest you get your fact clear and certain before you make bold statements. However let me reassure you...zymol did try to sue me here in the UK but lost. They also tried suing other parties here in the UK and in Europe but once again they lost in court as there was no case to answer. What yo see on the zymol website has been there since 1999 and if anything wins me sales. Those that know me, and those that have swissol products and those that use my services are all more than aware of this tired old saga and misinformants such as you.

In the meantime my friend I wish you well and have a Merry Christmas cos I certainly will have a good time and celebrate the best year on record yet.
Old 19 December 2002, 10:22 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Thanks for handling that professionally Mark. I'm a bit uncomfortable leaving Bugeye's post in its current form as it is slanderous or libellous IMHO. Click the report to moderator if you're unhappy.

Nick.
Old 19 December 2002, 10:31 AM
dharbige
Scooby Regular

Mark is The Best, and his Wax Wizard/Swissol products are unbelievably good.
Our pot of wax did the whole car on average once a fortnight for the last 18 months, and is STILL only half empty!
It's the easiest stuff by far to use, and gives outstanding results.
Smells good enough to eat, too!
I've never used Zymol, so I can't comment on how their stuff compares, but I would certainly not describe the Wax Wizard products as a "cheap copy" of anything. They are the real deal, and are definately value for money.

Unfortunately, the scoob has now gone , as we need a more "practical" car for our impending arrival to ride around in, but the beemer that's replacing it will get the Wax Wizard treatment as soon as it arrives.

(P.S. Mark - will the wax we have be suitable for the German paintwork? I think it's just standard Merlin wax.)

David H.
Old 19 December 2002, 10:42 AM
Gav
Scooby Regular

not had the chance to get some wax wizard yet. soon as i can afford some it will be going straight on my scoob. a friend of mine (carl cross) uses it on his scoob and the results are fantastic, he gets a ten mile deep shine. got to be the best polish out there.

edited three times, man i cant spell!!!

[Edited by scoobygav555 - 12/19/2002 10:44:43 AM]

[Edited by scoobygav555 - 12/19/2002 10:45:52 AM]

[Edited by scoobygav555 - 12/19/2002 10:47:27 AM]
Old 19 December 2002, 11:33 AM
WRX_BLUES
Scooby Regular

Guys,

I have been looking for this Wax Wizard stuff for a long time. Where do I get it? And is there a website? I currently use Mer, but this Wax Wizard seems to be unbelievably shiny on all the pictures I've seen.

Old 19 December 2002, 11:53 AM
zilch
Scooby Regular

Wink

Pop down to Gossy's valeter (so he tells me) , where i am off to now, saves getting the hoses and buckets out.

Cheers

Jim

suit on

[Edited by zilch - 12/19/2002 11:55:38 AM]

[Edited by zilch - 12/19/2002 11:57:11 AM]

[Edited by zilch - 12/19/2002 11:58:50 AM]
Old 19 December 2002, 12:03 PM
Mark Underwood
Scooby Regular

Cool

Chiark..thx for the comments and I am quite happy to leave bugeyes post as is. It worries me not and I for one wont worry about it or make a complaint.

WRX_Blues....all you have to do is to email me: mark@swissol.com or waxwizard@blueyonder.co.uk or call me on 07966 713177. The website is http://www.swissol.com or you can also try scoobyworld shop for swissol products.

Gossy The Valeter...yep...he's good and he has some of my products as well. About time I contacted him again.

Quick Reply: Car washing techniques?