Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Anybody fitted quickshift on their STi7

Search this Thread

Old 25 December 2002, 05:53 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I see both Subaru UK and GGR sell an aftermarket quickshift for the 6 speed.Anybody got one?
Old 25 December 2002, 06:48 PM
sammyh
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!
Support Scoobynet!

Dave Griff has one and rates it quite highly.
Old 25 December 2002, 06:55 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

There's been a negative view in another thread some weeks ago Anyone else with a view?? I liked mine on my classics, but am less certain of the need for the STi7 (UK?). BTW, Deep, do you mean "UK" or "7"...... Lots of Peeps use "7" when they mean "UK" - when I asked the question, the list of differences was quite long....

Phil
Old 25 December 2002, 08:08 PM
Big Goon
Scooby Regular

Got the Prodrive QS fitted to mine, but never driven one without it so can't tell you how good it is
Old 25 December 2002, 09:11 PM
towzer
Scooby Regular

I thoought the STi UK came with it as standard, might be wrong though.

Phil
Old 25 December 2002, 11:19 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Phil,in this instance I meant either.There are differences(ie JDM is better LOL!) but I presume the quickshift applies to both.I feel that the throw is longer compared to both my previous UK with quickshift and my JDM STi4 Type R.Towzer,c'ant be standard as then Subaru UK would'nt be selling it as a STi accessory.
What were the negative things in the previous thread? I notice that neither GGR or S UK give a % decrease in throw.
Old 26 December 2002, 01:08 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Someone merely posted that they didn't like it and had had it taken out. Towzer also reflects back something that was said on SN, rightly or wrongly - indeed, part of my uncertainty arose 'cos I, too, had seen it said that QS was standard fit: that's why I quizzed you on "7 or UK".

I find that if I hurry the box, 2nd to 1st or 6th to 3rd are dangerous possibilities, hence my interest. I've nothing against the box, but am always happy to help guard against my own ham-fistedness

Do I infer correctly that you've swapped a UK for a JDM 7? If so do/did they both rattle??

Happy New year

Phil
Old 26 December 2002, 02:09 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Hi Phil.No,I meant a my99 UK I used to have.I've only had a STi7 JDM not UK.Did you mean that the JDM or UK STi might have a QS as standard? The chap who did'nt like it may not have given it time to get accustomed.When I first had a QS I did'nt like it until I got to know it a bit better than loved it.Cheers,Deep
Old 26 December 2002, 03:13 PM
Viper
Scooby Regular

Deep

Got the Sti one on my 7 and rate very highly, well worth it.

Cheers

Phil

Old 26 December 2002, 04:02 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Phil(Viper),I think me met once at Powerstation when you had a P1.Did you have the QS installed from new on the car,ie had you driven the car without one to make a comparison.
Cheers,Deep.
Old 26 December 2002, 05:29 PM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

A friend of mine who has a 7 Type UK has driven a 7 with one and didn't like it. I personally think the gearbox is tight enough without making it harder by increasing the leverage

Matt
Old 26 December 2002, 05:45 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Matt,yes its tight but the throw is quite long.Would'nt a shorter throw maker it easier to use?
Old 26 December 2002, 06:07 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

"Snap" then, Deep....I had an MY 99(UK)+ QS and loved it. And it looks as if Matt saw the same post as I did, or knows the guy who posted it.....

Don't find my 7(UK) Shift too desperately tight (though notchy until the oil warms up), hence my slight sensitivity to the possibility of fluffing a change.
Old 26 December 2002, 09:22 PM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Hi Phil.Do you also find that the STi(UK,7 etc) has a longer throw than the 99etc with QS? I'm also getting really paranoid about changing down to 2nd when I meant 4th.I wonder what would happen at 80 mph???
Old 26 December 2002, 09:36 PM
hawkeye
Scooby Regular

Deep,

Mine has the quickshift fitted to it (subarus sti one) i would comments as follows:- it shortens the throw by probably 25% it also takes out a lot of the left to right slack in the box and makes it much nicer and precise for up the gear shifting, however isnt there always one it does make you more aware when going down the box as the gates are very close. I believe its also about £300 mine came with it so I can only comment when I drove the dealers demo after mine.

Hawkeye
Old 26 December 2002, 11:04 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Deep:
Subjectively, yes, the throw is longer than a 99UK with QS.... but I had my QS fitted to the 99 prior to delivery, so can't answer your question as asked A 2000 Sport definitely has a longer throw than the STi, but may or may not be comparable with a 2000 Turbo! £300 is quite a lot to spend on a preventive measure which might or might not be benefical!!

Anyone know what the GG costs?

...But, Hawkeye, you're right - greater precision going upwards across the box is desirable! 2nd to 5th I can live with with embarrassment - 2nd to 1st

Phil
Old 27 December 2002, 11:33 AM
Deep Singh
Scooby Regular

Hi Guys.I think the GGR is actually more expensive.Its a bit of money,but sometimes small mods like these can really make a difference to everyday driving.I think I'm going to invest in one once I know what the fitting costs will be.Phil, have you got PPP fitted? I've had some time to play with my car now,had Ecutek fitted last Friday,the car is sooo different.I take back all my whingeing and I'm really glad I kept the car.Mid range punch is devastating,revs so freely,and some tricks by Pat mean its far more lively off boost.C'ant recommend it enough.
Old 27 December 2002, 06:29 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Yep, got PPP - had it about 3 weeks now. Makes STiUK into a superb motor. No end of extra punch from 2500 revs up: at the same time it's much more driveable 'cos you don't have to stir the box every time you check back for some potential (or actual) hazard. Acceleration is breathtaking - even things like 50 - 120 in fifth!! (Where legal - fifth amemdment will be taken against flamers!) And I share the view that the cornering is improved - presumably because the torque goes down at lower revs??

In my judgement it shades P1 in all but looks (and rear wash-wipe!!) tho', probably, with some help from the 6-speed box as well. No doubt some of these more limited-edition STis (about which I'm totally ignorant!) can outperform it..... but the bottom line is that the STi(UK)/PPP does everything I could possible ask, at the price I can (just about) afford. And, unlike you, I have a warranty...... Yes, Happy Bunny!

(but rattled [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img][img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img])

Phil