Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Have you been pulled up cos of your plates

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2002, 06:03 PM
LeeMac
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just had plates done and had my 3s done with Es only reversed and got a feeling i might get pulled, what happens when pulled up cos of em.

[Edited by LeeMac - 12/28/2002 6:14:33 PM]
Old 28 December 2002, 06:06 PM
David_Dickson
Scooby Regular

You will be given a stern talking to, and a fine of around £30 IIRC.
If you are caught repeatedly offending, then the fines get bigger and bigger and I think they eventually have the right to confiscate your reg number to stop you messing it about again.
Old 28 December 2002, 06:10 PM
Matt Churchill
Scooby Regular

A friend of mine got stopped and breathlysed (sp) and they didn't say a word about the spacing on the plate ****** *, other than they liked it - si I gues it just depends on the person.
Old 28 December 2002, 06:15 PM
what would scooby do
Scooby Senior

IIRC if you have a private plate that has been "messed around" with i.e. spacing wrong or incorrect font etc, the DVLA can take it back from you !! bad news if you spent over £1000 on it I guess !
Old 28 December 2002, 06:30 PM
Steve Fort
Scooby Regular

I've got motorbike sized lettering on the front plate. Been pulled for spot checks 3 times and they've never mentioned it.
They're fussier about messing about with the lettering though, or if you use smaller letters on the rear plate.
I think you'll probably get a b0llocking.
Old 28 December 2002, 06:36 PM
i love scooby snacks
Scooby Regular

Ive been running with no front no. plate for the last month and have yet to be stopped,

but.........

i heard the worst they can do is give you a producer to fix any faults within 7 days or they make your pride and joy into a little square box (will thats the extream for repeat offenders with major faults once the car has been impounded and not collected)

so.........

the answer to the best of my knowledge is NOT MUCH!!!!
Old 28 December 2002, 07:02 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

From what i recall. on the old style plates before this new system (xx52xxx), there is a specific width, height and thickness the letters need to be. there was never a set type face up until the newer style plates.

I believe the following layout to be legal . and to be honest, it would have to be one hell of an arsey copper to do you for it. I have allways had "dodgy" plates, and have run without one now for at least 3 months. been spotted loads of times.

From experiences with my old plates, they are fine as long as they are easily legible. This to me is perfectly obvious what it is

Andy
Old 28 December 2002, 07:12 PM
easyrider
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

David Dickson is right about this IIRC + i think that what you actually get fined for is not displaying a number plate----------wether its just had the lettering played with or there isnt any plates at all!!!!!!--------------Helllooooooooooooooo speed cameras

Old 28 December 2002, 07:34 PM
DEEDEE
Scooby Regular

I got a £40 fine for altering the space ie (A123 BCD to A1 23BCD) I was also told if caught the fine would double and on the third time I would be issued with a Q plate. Yes I went back to the old plates. I have also been thinking of snaping the old front plate so the B*****D's who sit in the back of vans or hide behind hedges don't catch me. Not that I speed in built up areas I do try to stick to the limits, but we all know they hide and not always in the accident areas.
Old 28 December 2002, 07:39 PM
beanchimp
Scooby Regular

I got stopped for not having a plate on the front of mine

I was warned that if spotted again, I would be given a fixed penalty and points !!!

I beleive now the dvla can fine you upto £1000, and take away your plate, if you alter the lettering etc

As long as the font is similar its ok, spacing is a big no no apparently

Ive just ordered my private plate, just need to find someone to make them for me in the old style font before 1st Jan

As you have to produce all kinds of documents from then, to prove you own the vehicle & the plate

Steve

Old 28 December 2002, 09:09 PM
Scooby Dooby Blue
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

On my last car, which was black, I had a black plate made up. Legal font and spacing.
I chanced it a bit claiming it was a 1970 plate and that I thought I was allowed it in black but the coppers gave the details to the fiscal anyway.
Two months later, I got a letter asking me to pay £100 or go to court!
On the Scoob, I have a small plate on the front (same size as the MY01 backing plate) and a square one on the back with slightly smaller than legal lettering but again, regulation font and spacing.
Been pulled for this a few times now but (touch wood) no charges made yet.

You pays yer money and you takes yer chances

Paul
Old 28 December 2002, 09:49 PM
Rusty Festa
Scooby Regular

Talking

Correct me if wrong but, I thought all plates must now display the garage name, postcode and phone number where they were made up...if they are dodgy, the coppers or whoever will take action against them as they should know better....probably why there are so many pandas in Halfords car park
Old 28 December 2002, 09:52 PM
Iain P
Scooby Regular

If you need any old style plates (pre-Sept '02) then e-mail me for more details <Regplates@aol.com>
cheers
Old 28 December 2002, 09:57 PM
beanchimp
Scooby Regular

Iain

YHM
Old 28 December 2002, 11:02 PM
T3RBO
Scooby Regular

Talking

Been stopped twice in a month

first time - 5 mins after leaving sprayers, stopped in town to get some cash out and a copper wandered off and pointed out my missing front plate

second - stopped for speeding but did clock an accurate speed so had to let me off, he did a full check on car in case of jap stolen (was imported in 1998!!) then gave me a producer because HE though the plates looked illegal - went to MOT station and got it stamped as okay the next day
Old 29 December 2002, 12:53 AM
L55 REP
Scooby Regular

black plates are only allowed if the car there on is pre 1972 it dont matter how old the plate is its the car,
but theres a bmw with black plates on an its a g plate<90> going round by me an the pigs round here dont bother him yet they pulled an give me a producer for having standard letters/spacing but with honeycomb backings, are they real or what???
Old 31 December 2002, 01:51 AM
Patt@firstime
Scooby Regular

Got pulled in P1 on way back from Trax this year on M1, copper was worst I have ever met (rude, slamin car etc) I had a tiny front plate on (for the show) he fined me on the spot £30.00, a proper arseh0le!!!

Matt
Old 31 December 2002, 11:21 AM
Iain P
Scooby Regular

Just an idea but I made a full size plate for a guy I know with a tiny (motorcycle size text which I also made) front plate and he kept it in the boot. When he got stopped he showed them the plate that he was about to fit and let him off with a caution! So for the sake of a few quid for a 'spare' might be worth a try.
Old 31 December 2002, 11:29 AM
Redkop
Scooby Regular

I have a small front plate too, never been stopped yet! Also have correct sized one in the boot to try and blag my way out of it