Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

need help buying a wrx

Search this Thread

Old 28 December 2002, 10:27 PM
GT UK
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi guy's'I'm new to this forum (currently drive a modified primera)I'm looking at buying a 1995 WRX saloon import.It has a different body kit on it,44,000 miles new tyres and discs.What else do i need to look for?How often do the cam belts need replacing?How good is the reliability?What are they like to run and service and insure?
Sorry for all the questions but i could really do with some help before I part with my cash.
Old 28 December 2002, 10:41 PM
Marky-San
Scooby Regular

http://www.sidc.co.uk/faq.htm

Use this to get to all the info you need to know.

Good luck with the purchase
Old 28 December 2002, 10:42 PM
bigsinky
Scooby Regular

sorry tony here we go again

ripped off from a tony burns post (sorry tony but i couldnt be arsed typing it again)

Here is a brief outlook on your services

1 Year
7.5k one, cheap, 100 quid approx
15k one, cheap, around the same price as above

2 Year
22.5k one, cheap, around 100 quid again,
30k one, not cheap, around 300 quid from a speciallist, could be upto 400 from a dealer.

3 Year
37.5k, cheap one! (cost me 84 quid from a dealer)
45k, Biggy! look at spending upto 500 quid on this one, belt changes

4 Year
52.5k, cheap one!
60k as 30k service at yr 2 (expensive at around 300+ quid)

5 Year as 1 year

6 Year, even more expensive than the 3 year, seriously big service as its a 30k plus a 45k service, its over 500 quid from a dealer, speciallist will be cheaper.

Now none of these take into considerations brake discs, pads, and other consumable items, tyres for a good set (wheel size dependant) will cost say, around 90 quid for something your car needs to stop on and not something that will put you though a hedge. <end of TBs post>

And as for MPG hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah

SUL only (in the majority of cars) at about 25mpg , less if u hav a heavy right foot.

Other than that for the money there aint nuthin like em

hope this helps

cheers

big sinky

Old 28 December 2002, 10:43 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Smile

Weak point on early WRXs are brakes - headlights - powerstearing resevior leaks.
They have 2 pot brakes on. Try and buy one with a 4 pot upgrade on it.
17' wheels with goodyear F1s are the best for road use, so 17' rims should be on the car you buy.
Scoobys get through clutches, so check for clutch wear. Is it slipping.
Also the front tyres tend to wear heavily on the inside edges. so check for that.
Check for accident damage if from Jap land. Mine has signs of a Jap smash, but has been fixed very well.
Some WRXs are better than others but expect to spend a bit of money sorting out the niggles. I did and now I have a really sound car.

Best car you will own. Fantastic. But will cost quite a bit to run.
Try to find a good independent scooby mechanic near you. If you live in the south I can point you in the right directions.

Early WRX are good value but nmay need a bit more cash spent on them to get them sorted (bar enthusiasts cars)

Sorry about the rambling, but am pissed, just back from pub and now on vodka. But I hope it helps

Best wishes
Steve
Old 28 December 2002, 10:49 PM
Attu
Scooby Regular

The cam belt is 45k miles or 36 months which ever is first, just to change the cam belt your looking at about £220 for a Subaru garage to do it, but as it will be an import they wont touch it anyway so it should be a bit cheeper for an independant to do.
The Impreza Turbo isnt a cheap car to run but its well worth the cost in my opinion.
I get about 150 miles to every £30 of petrol (Super unleaded or Optimax)various driving.
Reliability is good as long as you keep it serviced with regular oil changes, mine is serviced every 7,500 miles with an oil change inbetween services.
As for Insurance well that depends on age, no claims ect ect but make sure your sitting down before you ring for a quote
As i said they arnt cheap but if looked after they will last and are great fun to drive and own.
Remember as an import you must run it on Super unleaded petrol.

Andy
Old 28 December 2002, 10:51 PM
Attu
Scooby Regular

God no one had replied when i started typing...need to learn to type faster
Old 28 December 2002, 11:00 PM
GT UK
Scooby Newbie

thanks for all your help guys.I'm gunna test drive it tomorrow and i will let you know how it goes.

Trending Topics

Old 28 December 2002, 11:38 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Smile

Hi GT UK
Now I see that you are in Ascot. I can give you a few pointers for servicing mods.

You may well be a better driver than me. But but when driving a scoob....Slow in and Fast out out a bend. (thats why the quality of the brakes are so important, and this stops you from lifing off and inducing overstear) Rememeber this and you will get the most out of a test drive.

Hope it goes well
Steve

[Edited by Steve Whitehorn - 12/28/2002 11:39:30 PM]
Old 29 December 2002, 07:13 PM
GT UK
Scooby Newbie

Right then,went back to the garage today to have another look at the WRX.The thing was'nt that good either,firstly somebody had try to nick it,the power steering pot was leaking like mad,it had more tap than Bob Hope and would not run as it should,i mean it kept cutting out after five mins and would not rev past 4000 rpm.Also the oil filer cap and dip stick stunk of petrol.The guy wanted £7500 for it,so i just walked away,and so the search continues.