Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Prolong Engine Treatment?

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2002, 03:33 PM
Krade
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When channel surfing Last night I was sad enough to go as far as the Shopping Channels last night, PMSL at most of the stuff but there was this PROLONG engine treatment which had me intrigued enough to sit thru the whole thing.

Apparently it reduces Friction wear and tear etc etc.
The had a few demos where they added the Prolong to the oil ran the car for a bit then drained all the oil out of the cars. They then took off the sump plug and the filter and then drove the cars for four hours with no problems.

Another Demo was of a V8 engine on a test bench where they had drained all the oil and taken the rocker covers off, they poured sand and grit in to the rockers and then cut the water pipe. So this engine is reving at 6000 rpm with no oil or water loads of grit and stuff in the engine. They stopped the engine and removed the sump. The sump was full of sand and water and the engine had been running fine.
The next bit is what really had me thinking Is this stuff really that good? They ran the V8 up to full throttle, with no oil, water rocker cover or sump! Watching the crank shaft running at WOT like this has made think about buying a bottle of this stuff but I want to ask If anyone on Scoobynet has used it?

cheers
Pete.
Old 29 December 2002, 03:45 PM
Fatman
Scooby Regular

No, never used it. Immediate thought - sounds like like Molyslip (i.e. Molybdenum disulphide solid lubricant). I just Googled for "prolong engine treatment" and got this link headlined "Performance Claims for Motor Oil Additive Were Unsubstantiated" (note the date: 1999). I'd do more research if you're considering using this. Personally I wouldn't bother with it.
Old 29 December 2002, 04:18 PM
Krade
Scooby Regular

yeah I found that FTC thing too altho it is dated 1999.
Thas also part of why I'm posting here.
It must be the same sort of stuff and most of the Oil Addatives on the market. Just looking for someone with 1st hand experince.
Old 29 December 2002, 06:25 PM
Jooles
Scooby Newbie

Was sad enough to tune in to the same channel a few weeks ago and saw the same add. Engines are more robust in the short term than they are given credit for. I had the task of killing an engine a few years back (it's a long story) and decided that the best bet was to drain the oil out and feed the supercharger a slack handful of nuts and bolts.....

It ran for 18 hours before giving in and that was pulling 68 tonne (Chieftain mark 11 battle tank).
Old 29 December 2002, 10:31 PM
Krade
Scooby Regular

LOL Joles sounds like a great days fun
Old 30 December 2002, 10:55 AM
Krade
Scooby Regular

over 100 views and no ones used it or any other brand?
Oh well guess that says it all
Old 30 December 2002, 11:15 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
think the argument goes along lines of:

silkolene (insert leading brand oil manufacture here) spend X billion on developing latest and greatest oil.

prolong or whatever spend a couple of hundred grand creating some snake oil and claim it enhances silkolenes products.

mmm

regular oil changes are the way to go.