ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Stopped by the Police??

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2002, 05:30 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've started to get fed up of being stopped by the Police

I always was led to believe that the Police had to have a reason for stopping you...?

Can anyone confirm that they can simply pull you over for no reason at all.

The last pullover offence was that the Police said that I'd pulled away 'aggresively' at a Junction..... I mean what the ****......

I didnt believe it was an offence to accelerate at a junction as long as you complied with the speed limit... he then went on to state that my exhaust was too loud...

I was stopped a week ago by a traffic car telling me that I must know why I'd been pulled over.. to which I said I didnt have a clue - 'please enlighten me' to which I which I was told I could be arrested if I made a wise crack like that again... I was told that my front no plate was illegal.. he got a tape measure out and to his shock it was legal.. he then went on to say that I didnt have a british standards mark on so it was definately illegal to which I pointed to the police vehicle and the fact that it didnt have this mark.. at that point I was let off...

Do these people really have nothing better to do.. my hatred of these scum bags grows every day....

[Edited by steve McCulloch - 12/29/2002 5:45:31 PM]
Old 29 December 2002, 05:35 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
They can pull you at will. If they pull you loads, you can complain and moan about harassment, but it might not get you very far.
As far as i concerned, you kiss **** for 5 minutes and be on your way.
Old 29 December 2002, 05:38 PM
Popeye P1
Scooby Regular

I love Traffic Cops. They have a great sense of Humour and make us all feel safer knowing they're out patrolling our roads for the real Criminals that have a defective brake light or Number plate.

Merry Xmas Plod. You do a great job.

Old 29 December 2002, 05:56 PM
KRIS
Scooby Regular

Quite simply old boy ... If you p1ss them off then they will p1ss you off.You drive a nice car and they are checking the right person is behind the wheel. Most people moderate their driving when they see a traffic car and maybe you didnt ... so you stood out. You know the rules , if you have anything " illegal " on your car like a small number plate or loud exhaust etc etc etc then you are in play. They aren`t always too busy to ignore it ! If you have a genuine reason to be aggreived then present you & your car at your local traffic garage and ask to make a complaint.
Old 29 December 2002, 06:00 PM
Rasher
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Traffic cops would shop their own mother.... nuff said
Old 29 December 2002, 06:03 PM
Jooles
Scooby Newbie

They do have to have a reason but the 'reason' is very much opinion based (the opinion of the officer that is). Arrested for a wisecrack? Can you imagine the reaction of the desk sergeant......

The fact that you made the officer in your number plate incident look a complete idiot must have almost made being stopped worth it!
Old 29 December 2002, 06:03 PM
matty01
Scooby Regular

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I arn't condoning the coppers attitude at all (his bsm remark was pathetic in particular) but i'm happy to be pulled if they have a good attitude ( rare ?? ) cos' they inadvertantly check if its been stolen in the procces ,to a degree.

Trending Topics

Old 29 December 2002, 06:20 PM
Ex_Pug
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Everyone who drives a car with a loud exhaust is a Nova loving boy racer.

It's a mindless generalised sweeping statement, and it must be true!
Old 29 December 2002, 06:22 PM
beanchimp
Scooby Regular

the only reason I got a loud exhaust was to put the nova driver at work to shame (very loud exhaust and the car hardly moves)

Old 29 December 2002, 06:28 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Wink

Old 29 December 2002, 06:30 PM
ADY 555 !
Scooby Regular

Smile

Steve you deserve getting stopped...Many of us on here have heard how you drive around Batley after a Rolling Road day at well lane. Lighten up, Some of them are human. Ady
Old 29 December 2002, 06:46 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

ADY555

Very slowly.. my cars only lightly modded... anyway who told you this rubbish...... I'm a careful driver...

I only tend to drive really fast in France where I know the worst I can get is a fine!.....

I dont tend to go that much over the speed limit in built up areas... well hardly ever...

Old 29 December 2002, 06:49 PM
scrappydoo
Scooby Regular

Angry

Sorry to hear about this mate. Ive had my fair share of sh*t from the police also. Since i passed my driving test when i was 17 ive totally lost count of how many times ive been pulled by them. Must be in the mid hundreds. Ive been assaulted by them 3 times and chased. I might add that i might have broke a few traffic offences but the assualts and chases havent been my fault and was not because of my bitter attitude i now have toward them before you all start. Got pulled last night with my mate. They had him out of the car and were being really rude, cocky and insulting toward him. No wonder there are alot of people who hold resentment toward them. I for one im sick of how a select few treat us young people.I know they have a hard job but they tend to group us all together and treat us the same. I was watching cops last night and they had somebody at gunpoint. I thought what a nightmare it would be for our police forces to have guns. I would have been shot before now methinks if they did.
Old 29 December 2002, 06:56 PM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

I love the classic statement "we're just checking to see if the cars stolen or not....."

ha!.. do they honestly think if my car was stolen (360bhp Evo6) that the guy driving it would pull over??!!

Load of cobblers.Put the blue lights on, if the car pulls over then its not knicked, pretty obvious.

Rich.
Old 29 December 2002, 07:00 PM
polarbearit
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Steve -

Where do you get stopped, Bristol? I've only been stopped once by the police in the 5 years plus that I've lived there (though was previously stopped loads in Lancs), and that was for a genuine reason (car not registered locally or to me and they were concerned it could have been stolen)...

Its not as if I'd describe my car/driving as discrete either (Red Skyline) - so why pick on you?
Old 29 December 2002, 07:10 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

I wish I had summat good to say about the Police, the simple fact is that I don't I too have lost count of how many times I've been stopped... I wouldn't mind of they were sensible about it but they just talk down to you as if you've never driven a car before

The last time I was stopped I was accused of driving past a school at over 40mph, this was a total and utter lie!! He failed to mention that as I approached the school I gave way to another car, then crept past said school as some guy was getting in his car... I don't think I topped 20 mph and this was at around 8.30pm!! I would of argued my point but I had put my foot down somewhat after the school and NSL sign

It troubles me that, if this had gone any further, court etc, I'd have no chance at all, who's gonna believe me over a copper?

IMHO, the Police, as a whole, need putting in a bag and shaking up

oh yeah, my car was vandalised, so I reported it. They're sending someone to interview myneighbour who witnessed it, it's been about 2.5 to 3 years now and nobody has been, should I ring them back?
Old 29 December 2002, 07:12 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Originally posted by Scrappydoo:
know they have a hard job but they tend to group us all together and treat us the same.
And you're doing what?
Old 29 December 2002, 07:44 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Load of cobblers.Put the blue lights on, if the car pulls over then its not knicked, pretty obvious.
Right next time I see a car and I put the blue lights on and it stops I'll just drive away without speaking to the occupants. Despite the fact he/she might be pissed, have no licence, no insurance, have a firearm or drugs in the car etc. Please don't insult my intelligence by suggesting that no Scoob driver could ever do any of this because you would be wrong.

Cheers

Nathan..
Old 29 December 2002, 07:44 PM
ADY 555 !
Scooby Regular

Smile

Steve it isn't rubbish, i was there... I saw it, heard it, About 12 months ago.
Old 29 December 2002, 08:10 PM
paul corrigan
Scooby Regular

all the time
is this your car sir?
do you think i would stop if it was stolen?
are you trying to be funny?
thick as ****
they stop you for anything
no matter what time or who is with you its just an easy target
the amount of times i feel like dropping a few cogs and see you later copper is getting beyond a joke
anyway copper while you are asking me the same questions your mate did twenty mins ago your wife has another client in your bed
as chubby brown said pigs can catch foot and mouth,i hope it gets you all
i am very bitter to the police because they never seem to solve any violent crime around our way but always turn up in numbers to give me a producer i know it needs one to read and the other to write but why all the others
moan over
ta paul
Old 29 December 2002, 08:12 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

I rest my case
Old 29 December 2002, 08:22 PM
Nick n Jewels
Scooby Regular

Hmmmmmmmm, 24 years of riding bikes on our beloved highways with as many memorable moments of entertaining encounters with the boys in blue ...........

Guess I can look forward to all year round attention now, having just bought the Scooby!!!

Still, must seek entertainment somehow... well... there's nowt on telly!
Old 29 December 2002, 09:14 PM
Claudius
Scooby Regular

Get Satellite TV j/k

I agree with the Police being (to a large extend) a bunch of sad jealous fvckers who try to find any offence to write you a ticket for. It has now come to a point where I do not bother stopping anymore. Fvck them. They have no helicopters and their bikes and cars cannot follow me

Old 29 December 2002, 09:26 PM
RichiW
Scooby Regular

Nathan,

I wouldnt mind if they where checking for drink drivers etc, like i said, just tickles me that the one and only time i've been pulled it was to see if the car was mine or not.This was around 10:30 at night too, quiet country road, and they where in a volvo estate car, i'd even slowed down so they could catch up!

I personally think the police have a very difficult job to do, but it does'nt help their cause when it appears they pick on the easy targets instead of the real villans.I know of a block of flats in Selby where theres at least two drug pushers operating, and they've been at it over a year now, if i sped everywhere for a year i'd be banged up inside by now!

Might not be your fault, i guess your boss tells you what to do every morning like anyone elses boss does, just a shame you carnt be doing something that the public will support you for doing, like catching burglers, rapists, pushers, muggers etc.

Rich.
Old 29 December 2002, 10:05 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Smile

Rich

My Boss is ?!£$%*"! but him aside.

It's a shame you don't live down our way. You could come out and see how my day is really spent. I've offered this to loads of people but no one ever takes me up on it.

I am not a traffic officer, never have been either. I drive one of our area response cars and have to deal with all manner of incidents. Over the past few months I have been punched, kicked, bitten, spat at, threatened with knives and even had a woman try and run me down whilst putting a road closure on after a near fatal accident. I have arrested quite a few people for offences ranging from drink drive to possession of a firearm with intent to cause fear of violence. And just about most things in between. I cannot remember the last time I had the time to write out a speeding ticket. I'm not bitter though it's the job I chose to do and I really enjoy it. Horses for courses.

As Burr pointed out earlier though we all get tarnished with the same brush which is a shame as we don't all spend our days targeting motorists.

Cheers

Nathan..

Old 29 December 2002, 10:09 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

It has now come to a point where I do not bother stopping anymore. Fvck them.

Please don't kill yourself or anyone else for that matter when you don't bother stopping.
Old 29 December 2002, 10:13 PM
Type R
Scooby Regular

I got pulled 12 times in December 2 years ago in Brum, I finish at the same time each night ie 2am, and it was virtually the same copper.

Might have had something to do with the first time he pulled me I was giving it a tad to much rightfoot, and I refused to admit I was speeding, and I asked for the evidence, which he couldnt prove, said he would do me for driving with out due care and attention, and I denied it, but was very apologetic, he let me go, but was obviously trying to get his own back.

I got really peeved with it all, and to cut a long storey short I complained to my local Police station, who managed to resolve the situation.
Old 29 December 2002, 10:16 PM
beanchimp
Scooby Regular

I did get hit by a car during a road closure for a near fatal accident

I was helping remove the traffic until the police turned up and continued to do so, after I got hit by a taxi driver, the police didnt give a flying f***

even after appealing for witnessess I gave them my details, and never got in touch until a letter I sent to the local paper was printed, they couldnt help enough then

Ive been stopped more times than I can remember, on bikes & in cars, and almost every single one of them was arrogant, one of them even told me he was gonna make sure I would never drive again in my life (the case got thrown out of court cos they made loads of stuff up, and none of it was on the video of me driving for 10 miles, which they presented as evidence)

Some of my friends are in the force, and are good people, but to me they are the exception

If the police really did there job (not by stopping innocent (most of the time) drivers) then I wouldnt have to worry so much about getting my house broke into for some toe rag to nick my keys, or for my mum to be constantly worried that the post office she works in is gonna get held up, or my mates wont get mugged and put in hospital

Old 29 December 2002, 10:23 PM
Eldar
Scooby Regular

I've been stopped no more than a dozen times in 30 years. About half the time no problem. The other half rude, agressive and pointlessly nasty.

Might give them a kick, but it removes much of the sympathy the police deserve. Any group has some wonkers in it, but the traffic police seem to collect more than their fair share...

And I resent my tax money being spent on WRX's for the Cumbria police so they can have fun and not get nicked

Colin.
Old 29 December 2002, 10:30 PM
Nathan L
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Beanchimp

Your points are valid but how do we know when and where stuff like that is going to happen ?

It's all very well us catching them after the event but proving things in court is a nightmare. If we do prove it, it can take 18 months or longer and the offenders get a slap on the wrist.

Nathan..

Quick Reply: Stopped by the Police??