ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Donnington Today

Search this Thread

Old 29 December 2002, 11:17 PM
Jonto
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody there, beside the obvious ?

Some nice cars, not many scoobs, but a nice focus that was turbo charge and a turbo charge ford KA which flew !

There was a rally spec evo that was flying, and a skyline met the pit wall, and lost !

Just wondered if anybody had any pics or vids ?

Cheers
Jonathan
Old 30 December 2002, 12:11 AM
Tim Taylor
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I was there as well - black MY01 WRX - it was a good day apart from being too wet and cold but it is December!! The general standard of driving was not too bad - only a few bad moments with other drivers.

Sorry no pics or video only a dirty car to clean tomorrow

Tim
Old 30 December 2002, 12:26 AM
Jonto
Scooby Regular

I saw ya, had gold alloys, full decat i take it, as it sounded rather good ! :
Old 30 December 2002, 08:00 AM
TaviaRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

I was there, loved the wet

I thought it was a bit crowded and quite a few people need to learn some etiquette, if you are caught let the person past, yes you may be faster in a straight line, but you have been caught ergo they are faster than you.

Had a good day out though, no photos, loads of video though, oh and mine was the "1.4 16v" black Octavia.
Old 30 December 2002, 08:34 AM
Jooles
Scooby Newbie

Yep. My motor was the blue STI Type UK. Still a novice me, and felt a little uncomfortable being on the same track as some of the people that were there (and I don't mean the fast ones, I mean those with zero patience). Loved the KA (never thought I'd ever say that).
Old 30 December 2002, 08:57 AM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

I thoroughly enjoyed the day .... sideways in the "Rally spec EVO "....in fact it's an EVO 6 RS Sprint (no fancy ABS and the likes), std suspension and running circa 340 bhp but GOD did I enjoy driving it around Donno....it belongs to my mate Gaz who has a track and fast road preperation company in Macclesfield, he's also a moderator over on the MLR....what sort of guy offers you his car to share at a trackday ? What a guy

Now, as for the day methinks there were a few too many out on track sometimes...the etiquette wasn't fantastic with probably the worse moment I have ever experienced on track so far......coming down the backstraight into the chicane before the start finish straight I was hitting circa 135mph, approaching the Black left hand drive Focus (very nice indeed) he proceeded to eventually move over to the right....I went past and then to our amazement he kept the Focus planted a full speed ahead rather than backing off (by this time the chicane was almost upon us ! ).....he was by this time almost undertaking I managed to keep the EVO on the black stuff but had it nosediving, sideways left and right before finally entering the chicane and exiting accordingly !!

Bad driving Mr Focus man (Geoff I believe according to Matt Oz)...take note.....it's NOT ENOUGH just to move over to the right when a corner is up ahead...either keep the line until you have exited the corner OR slow down suffice to allow the car to pass you safely !

IMHO of course

Happy New Year to you all
Old 30 December 2002, 09:45 AM
Dave_A
Scooby Regular

I was there as always spectating away, along with Adrian (cashy) and Nigel (Peggy). Nigel was out in his wrx with a very nice sounding exhust!!

Looked like good fun out on the track, although it looked like the M6 at times, and some peoples idea of moving over involved drifting back over to the left just as someone is trying to come past - couple of incidents involved near misses with the grass.

Memorable moment was Chris (or was it Gaz?) leaving the 360 for dead down the pit straight, and the Chevette just hanging the back end out round the last corner - every lap!!

Some photos up at www.scoobyphotos.com Hopefully get some on track action shots developed and posted later today.

See you all next year....

Cheers
Dave Adams

===========================
email ::::: dave@scoobyphotos.com
===========================

Trending Topics

Old 30 December 2002, 10:41 AM
goober
Scooby Regular

Had a fantastic day despite some brake problems, car (UK96 Green) went very well. Can't quite believe I was getting round the track faster than some of the cars present!! Can't wait to boost the power up.

Agree that it was a bit crowded at times, perhaps you should be black flagged if you keep going off? The restarts certainly didn't help with the congestion.

Regards Gareth

PS I think Trebor has some photos to post.
Old 30 December 2002, 11:38 AM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

Best track day I've done! Until my check engine light came on . I decided to call it a day (I still got 70miles of track driving in!) and set off home at lunchtime. The light went off after a toilet stop on the M6 so I could have carried on playing but decided to err on the side of caution.

As far as etiquette went, the worst drivers by far were those in "race cars". The average Joes in their road cars were excellent in letting me past. The worst was the guy in the 911 with 4 different coloured wheels and the M3 race car.

IMHO of course.

Steve (DBM MY01 with the big wing)

[Edited by Steve Sherwen - 12/30/2002 11:39:07 AM]
Old 30 December 2002, 11:48 AM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Goober,

Were the brake problems due to your right foot later braking Etc (lots of Fade). Or brake problems as in not working full stop ?
Dean
Old 30 December 2002, 11:53 AM
TIFF-C20WTH
Scooby Regular

Good day despite the weather

I was there and a few mates,one of them was the Black Focus Turbo that i went out in a few times.Was not in it when the braking incedent occured but all i can say is

"If it is raining,why not change your brakes pads for something a little tamer.Then it wont lock up in the wet and you wont get out braked by a Focus" IMHO
F U C K I N G fast Evo though

All in all a good day

(MattOZ you big girl,get that M5 on the track)
Old 30 December 2002, 12:04 PM
Jonto
Scooby Regular

Travis - i remeber you from the staffs treasure hunt. I was the one that finished last !

DeanF - i am goin to ring gobber tomorrow, with some tips on his brake problems. Jonto tuning reckon he should go for some drum brakes on the front !
Old 30 December 2002, 12:22 PM
flat4
\m/ ^_^ \m/

Location: 2010 Time Attack Club Pro Champion - Powered by ScoobyClinic
Smile

i turned up but decided against going out due to the traffic on track, and the red lights coming on every ten minutes it seemed

kev
Old 30 December 2002, 12:25 PM
Ed Hodgson
Scooby Regular

Donington's always fun, whatever the weather

glad I had a garage though (thanks tavia

There did seem to be too many cars on track, & the huge range of speed & ability made it a bit crowded, with quite a lot of bunching. Not a day for the novice IMHO. Cars were getting very close, & some of the race cars were a bit out of order. A little more patience, combined with a few more people letting faster cornering cars through would have helped.

Some cars did seem to keep going off - and the people braking into Craner did rather worry me when I was following them. The huge number of reds was a bit disappointing - although they did get cleared quite quickly.

Hope I didn't surprise anyone too much with my one "moment" (white XR4i) - locked up under braking before Redgate & spun straight off onto the infield.

I'm surprised no-one's mentioned the Clio Cup car - that seemed as fast as almost anything out there - & with no lights was a bit of a surprise when it appeared about 5cm from your rear bumper

can't have much more fun for £75 though! - roll on January
Old 30 December 2002, 02:57 PM
DeanF
Scooby Regular

Exclamation

Jonto,

Don't forget to go for the CABLE OPERATED versions of the drum brakes, they are really effective.
Dean
Old 30 December 2002, 03:44 PM
Jonto
Scooby Regular

Was thinking of putting crossply's on too !

What do you reckon ?
Old 30 December 2002, 03:54 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Thumbs up

you wont get out braked by a Focus
No offence Tiff, plus I wasn't there so can't really comment on the situation but it's a track day, not a race, out braking shouldn't be an issue!
Old 30 December 2002, 04:32 PM
gaz@cpp
Scooby Regular

"If it is raining,why not change your brakes pads for something a little tamer.Then it wont lock up in the wet and you wont get out braked by a Focus" IMHO

I was in with mellow when the above took place!!! im sorry but the rules of the track day are, if a faster or better driven car comes up behind you on track ! you should stick your indicator on and move over too the right and LIFT OFF the gas at a safe place allowing the faster car to pass. You are not meant to stick your indicator on move over and then try and out brake the car passing you !!!

F U C K I N G fast Evo though

Thank you !!

Old 30 December 2002, 04:37 PM
TIFF-C20WTH
Scooby Regular

Some people brake later then others,prime example!

Old 30 December 2002, 05:14 PM
gaz@cpp
Scooby Regular

You are not meant to stick your indicator on move over and then try and out brake the car passing you !!!

I take it the above does not apply to your mate in the focus then ?
Old 30 December 2002, 05:15 PM
BOB.T
Scooby Senior

Wink

some people spoil trackdays for others, prime example
Old 30 December 2002, 05:17 PM
TIFF-C20WTH
Scooby Regular

As said:Some people brake later than others!

If you know your car you can do that!!!!
Old 30 December 2002, 05:19 PM
TIFF-C20WTH
Scooby Regular

BOB

You wernt there so you cant really comment
Old 30 December 2002, 05:24 PM
tezza
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

BOB.T
If you had been there you would have thought it was a race not a track-day! Seven cars with approx 2 to 3 cars length between coming down the pit straight with standing water in the braking area(for some). As for numbers I've seen less on the M25.

gaz@cpp
100% agreed. Indicate I here you say! Shame the organiser's did not mention it, all they seemed to do was talk about the over taking issue as an after thought to their "briefing". No mention of problem areas until someone asked, I would have thought that as most of us have retired from F1 and out of touch we need to know these things!

I have to admit I did go out in my Caterham for almost two whole laps and decided to see how the weather went. Had a look around museum and then came back to see Death Race 2000 unfolding before my eyes, wet myself and went home, not a great day for me.
terry
Old 30 December 2002, 05:41 PM
gaz@cpp
Scooby Regular

some people spoil trackdays for others, prime example
LMAO
Old 30 December 2002, 05:44 PM
TIFF-C20WTH
Scooby Regular

Yep,i know exactly what you mean
Old 30 December 2002, 06:11 PM
Mellow Yellow !
Scooby Regular

Smile

TIFF.....

I kept going quite simply because had I not and turned in at the place one would normally turn in then I would have wiped the fron end of your Focus out mate....had I not been in someone elses car I'd not have been perturbed !

Nothing to do with outbraking the next man....I am a very late braker...however, the Focus was poorly driven (etiquette)....end of discussion !

As usual the EVO was the daddy
Old 30 December 2002, 06:16 PM
TIFF-C20WTH
Scooby Regular

"I am a very late braker"

Looks like someone is later then you then!

I would recommened getting to know a car before you go out on track in it!

End of discussion

[Edited by TIFF-C20WTH - 12/30/2002 6:17:37 PM]
Old 30 December 2002, 06:19 PM
TIFF-C20WTH
Scooby Regular

Oh and i will agree with you there

The Evo was the daddy
Old 30 December 2002, 06:27 PM
davyboy
Scooby Regular

If a car caught you up, it is going faster than you, so you move out of the way.............piece of pi$$

Quick Reply: Donnington Today