ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Import or Uk

Search this Thread

Old 31 December 2002, 09:56 AM
bigbigjohn
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Hi I am confused got about 10k to spend on a scooby , do I go and buy a £10k MY98 UK car from a main dealer or spend £7.5k MY95 import .
I dont want to have problems getting a import serviced so I am pushed towards the UK car . Problem with UK car is that it not as well speced as the import ! and is a few years older .
I have only test driven a 260bhp import , is there much a difference between them .
Old 31 December 2002, 10:01 AM
pcdude
Scooby Regular

this subject seems to pop up every now and then ,,, personally i prefer to get uk spec cars ,,,,,, but i think a few ppl do go for imports ,,, at the end of the day its personal choice
Old 31 December 2002, 11:06 AM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
If you can spend 10k on a UK, why not spend 10k on an Import? Don't jump in with two feet, there are a lot of Scoobs for sale dirt cheap.
One here. Not mine but it's sweet me thinks.
Old 31 December 2002, 11:17 AM
grabber
Scooby Regular

Smile

i had the problem a couple of months ago ,i went for a jap import, so far so good, there doesnt seem to be any probs with services or parts & there's plenty of tuners to do any work thats needed (none so far), just make sure whatever you go for its got a checkable service history .
Old 31 December 2002, 11:25 AM
bigbigjohn
Scooby Newbie

All the imports I have looked at come with out any jap history so am abit weary about them ! Also the insurance is quite a bit more !
Is there any good places in Surrey to get a import or to get one serviced ?
Old 31 December 2002, 11:38 AM
Devil's Refugee
Scooby Regular

Buy a euro import then.
They are UK spec (ie aircon etc) and are treated as a UK for insurance purposes.
Jap imports are a bit hit or miss depending where you buy them from. More power yes, but probably more money in the long run, petrol with additives, insurance etc.

Personal preference in the end.
Old 31 December 2002, 02:48 PM
grabber
Scooby Regular

if you go for a jap import ,go for one that was brought in from new, so it will prob have a full U.K history, as for dealers check out the trader or on here, i used Park Lane @ Alton they seem ok,another is David Hendry cars also another good one
Old 31 December 2002, 06:21 PM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

Bibigjohn, go for the import. Yes the insurance is more but they are cheaper to buy than a UK one. For £10k you can buy a nice import. Im in Middx, Hanworth and just imported mine. Where abouts in Surrey are you?

Servicing, not a problem. Dad is a Subaru mechanic and he knows all the other garages in Surrey.

If you have any questions, drop me an email. Even got some places where you can import one over or even buy one over here that has already been imported
Old 31 December 2002, 08:28 PM
mkyboy
Scooby Regular

Talking

Hi mate,

I bought an import about 3 months ago and love it!!!!!

Its a 96WRX and i think better standard than UK cars, more power better spec alloy pannels etc...

Costs a bit more to insure and getting it serviced is no problem.

Go for it!!!!!! and then you will have a few grand to mod it, COOL!!!!!!
Old 31 December 2002, 11:59 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

i spent 10k about 14month ago on Uk turbo 2000 MY97 & in another 10 months time i either wana type R or sumin different like a supra & i wood say that greed does get better of ya i woz guna stay standard 4 1st year partly due 2 insurance but following a few of the cov area scoob meets wanted zaust etc etc & so the greed grows & now while @ time UK seemed cunning for insurance costs now wana more meaty car
Dont get me rong UK car is a beast but as i say scoobynet & meets & time can make a man greedy 4 wot he wants & can achieve so consider all cost benefit options (uh oh economics degree kicking in ) lol
Si (sad git on new year )
Old 01 January 2003, 01:09 AM
Nate
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I would also like to add that in GENERAL ... Jap imports are far cleaner and less rusty than UK cars .

Nate

MY93 WRX
Old 01 January 2003, 02:04 AM
bonesey
Scooby Regular

If you get one imported you will face a lot of waiting and messing around (sva, conversions etc.) better buying one that's been recently imported and have it undersealed if needed- cheap, and budget for a clutch + flywheel-not so cheap. Poss cambelt.
Imports are better specced and faster, electrics can be a bit of a pain in the **** (so I'm told by the guy who sorts me out!)
Insurance is pricey. Is speed essential? Is to me!
Perhaps buying a u.k modded car is the answer? I refuse to believe all modded cars are dogs.
Good luck.