Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

The scoobynet technical forums

Search this Thread

Old 31 December 2002, 10:13 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Is it just be or is it a waste of time going in there now??

How many times is someone going to ask what oil to use or what power can you get out of xxx with out spending xxx

Im fed up with them now...

Im off to write an faq.

David
Old 31 December 2002, 10:27 AM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
David

I thought someone with as many posts as yourself would know to just ignore those threads

Surely as more and more people buy Imprezas the questions will continue to be repeated

For most of us there are still nuggets of information around in the technical forums and please try and remember that not everyone is as technically gifted as yourself and has the ability to construct an entire car in their garage .

To some it's important to find out which oil to use and eventually they will work out what the searchbutton does
Old 31 December 2002, 10:29 AM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

now your DIY FIMC thread's over, its all gone very quiet in there mate
Old 31 December 2002, 10:35 AM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Location: Leeds - It was 562.4bhp@28psi on Optimax, How much closer to 600 with race fuel and a bigger turbo?
im not saying its a case of not reading them... I try to... but its generally poor technical content now..

David
Old 31 December 2002, 10:35 AM
stephen emery
Scooby Regular

LOL Burr. Daved has a point but i have had good advise and some not so good. Could not do without it. steve
Old 31 December 2002, 11:53 AM
P20SPD
Drag it!

Just had 1st look in over 1 week, and TBH the content looks poor IMO, but then to some people it will be very interesting.
Old 31 December 2002, 11:55 AM
Sonic'
Scooby Regular

The serach button doesnt always work, at least on my PC it doesnt

We were all newbies at some point ( I still am )

I apologise now, not because I like asking dumb asked a million times before questions

My apology is because there is no Newbie Forum, with a set of FAQ's that will answer most basic first timer questions

The search is pretty basic, ie you cant search in individual forum, cant search by person etc etc

But im sure that question has been asked a million times too

So again I apologise for any inconvience in the quest for me to further my knowleadge in my new scoob

Im not having a go, I understand your points, hence I agree with having an Advanced Tech forum or a Projects forum

Steve
Old 31 December 2002, 12:41 PM
johnfelstead
Scooby Regular
Support Scoobynet!

Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
i think it's more a case of you reaching your limit as to what is relevent and known, rather than the forum being any diferent than it ever was.

If you want to write an FAQ, go ahead, it's a lot more work than you may think. What you may consider as the right advice may not be what other people consider to be correct.

You only have to take a simple question like what is the best oil or air filter and you will get diferent correct responses depending on aplication or even model year.

If you want to write an FAQ, send it to me and i will take a look at it and see if there is anything i can do to get that setup. Personally i dont have the time or inclination to sit down for a month and write it, because that is how long it will take if you do it thoroughly IMHO.
Old 31 December 2002, 01:25 PM
Leslie
Scooby Regular

I think SIPie and Johnfelstead are right in what they say, of course people are going to ask the same questions when they first own a Scooby. There must be a good reason for those questions to be asked regularly,have you considered that? Your idea of a FAQ is a very good one and since you are said be very knowledgeable with regard to Scoobies you must be the man to do it. Perhap's you could set an example and ask some of the sort of questions that you would like to see. Maybe you should make allowances for those who are not so technically inclined but are anxious to do the best for their cars.

I am technically and practically experienced over many years but I found the technical forums absolutely invaluable in pointing me in the right direction in many ways when I need to work on my car. The difficulty in getting service manual information or specifications especially for Japanese imports means it is initially a bit of a puzzle for many to fix problems etc. I think your criticism was unfair but still hope you will carry out your threat to produce FAQ's.

Happy New Year

Les
Old 31 December 2002, 03:10 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

im not thinking of writing it myself... Im am just seeing if I can get a database driven faq working on my site... If anybody has any free asp based ones they want to point me at??

People could then submit things themselves?

Obviously it would be nicer if it was a scoobynet faq..

Im not saying the forums are crap, its just they used to make me spend hours in their reading... its getting to the point now where Im having to do some work.

David
Old 31 December 2002, 03:33 PM
steve McCulloch
Scooby Regular

David

Divert your energy to inventing a nice big turbo that has very little lag and can give me 500bhp.... preferably (i.e. a requirement) before the 26th Jan......

Old 31 December 2002, 04:03 PM
David_Wallis
Scooby Regular

Speak to mark about is garret hybrid..

David
Old 31 December 2002, 04:27 PM
BuRR
Scooby Regular

Dave - tell me all about Dawes