Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Why would you want your stolen car back?

Search this Thread

Old 31 December 2002, 06:10 PM
akshay67
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

I'm just wondering what the reasons are for wanting your car back after its been stolen, given that if you are properly insured you will get the value of the car back. Even if you don't get the total value, you'd lose some through resale if you're honest enough to declare it was stolen and then recovered.

For me, personally, I would rather not see my car again and get the cash back because I could not sit in the car that the scum had soiled (I know it's psychological, but they'd probably ragged it too)

Just want to know your opinions really...
Old 31 December 2002, 06:15 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Depends if there was any damage. It's a lot of hassel messing with insurance and finding a new car.
I might feel different if mine was stolen. I hope i will never have to answer this question.
Old 31 December 2002, 06:17 PM
Jen
Scooby Regular

Because it's mine. I'd feel worse it was mistreated then sold

...yeah, ok, I'm just being a girl
Old 31 December 2002, 06:18 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

A hard question but i think it depends on who stole it in the first place.
If it was a professional then the chances are they are likely to sell the car on as a ringed motor and are more likely than not, get it to somewhere where they can do this without being noticed (ie ragging it around etc) so if it was from one of these then id have it back (and add more security).
If it was a joyrider then no, i would rather they crashed it and all died in the burning wreckage.... i know it seems to contradict what i put in the first part of this post but a professional will have your car no matter how much security it has on it (and will want to make a profit by selling it in the best conditon possable, joyriders dont).

Tony
Old 31 December 2002, 06:20 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question

Anyone remember last week when they had on the radio about the guy with the nissan or what ever it was, old car, total heap, it got stolen and found a year later or something, totally immaculate as the theives did it up and sorted out all the problems with it?
They got caught and the guy had a better car when he got it back!

Tony
Old 31 December 2002, 06:48 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

given that if you are properly insured you will get the value of the car back
If that were only true , you will get stiffed if they give you market value and you try and buy one in the same condition for the price they pay out.
Old 31 December 2002, 07:00 PM
Gavin G
Scooby Regular

A friend of mine here in Ireland had his MY99 RB5 WR stolen back in the summer. They broke into his house and took the keys. It was eventually found about 2 months later by the police in Ballymena, N. Ireland when they stopped the guy driving it for speeding and became suspicious.

Turned out the Irish Reg. plates had been removed and fitted with N.I. ones but that was all, chassis no. VIN plate etc. hadn't been touched.

When it was returned, the car had a full interior/exterior valet, minor bodwork blemishes repaired, new tyres, full service (inc. Cam belt) and had clear bumper indicators and repeaters fitted!

He didn't know the car when he got it back!

Gavin
Old 31 December 2002, 07:13 PM
ustolemyname??stevieturbo
Scooby Regular

You actually know an insurance company that will even give you close to what the car is worth??? Must be the only person in the world with such a policy well.
Old 31 December 2002, 08:01 PM
Avi
Scooby Regular

I actually got £4500 for a car i paid £2800 for a few years ago, only had it 4 days before it was "carjacked" though , they wrote it off.. which i suppose was a good thing really , i was devastated at the time. Couldn't give a damn about the Car, it's only a piece of metal.. but people waving knives is not pretty