Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

your thoughts please, I dont wanna get ripped off!

Search this Thread

Old 08 January 2003, 05:25 PM
DodgeT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

Whilst at a track-day before Xmas, my car (ford x-flow powered kit car) lost power & was misfiring, so I finished the lap & took it straight to a reputable motorsport garage who usually work on the car for me.

Upon first inspection I was told "it’s the fuelling, the carbs need setting up"
They could not do the work then, so I drove home & then returned the car to them a few days later.

I dropped it off in the morning to which "we'll call you this afternoon when it's done"
Spoke to them in the afternoon (late), "we cant find anything wrong", so I rang back later.
By this time they had performed a compression test & leakage test to which they proclaimed "a valve has gone, we'll have to strip the engine down".
Next time I speak to them "it's the head gasket which has gone"
So they fit the new head gasket, re-lap the valves, fit new valve stem seals, guides etc.
I was contacted by the garage to be asked "we don’t know where to get the right valve stem seals, do you know?" to which I was surprised as they are a top motorsport company. Never the less, one call off myself to another well known tuning firm sorts the problem.

Right, all I've got to do now is wait for the car to be finished.

I get a call, "your car is done, but….. when I took it on a road test, its misfiring!!!" & the comment "well they're simple enough engines it perhaps just needs a new set of leads"

The company is expecting £500 off myself for work they have done to my car over the past 3 weeks, which has not sorted the original problem which was the reason I took it there!

Frankly, I am amused! & certainly do not think that I should have to pay a bill for a whole lot of work which has not done anything to sort the problem.

Your thoughts please.
Old 08 January 2003, 05:27 PM
DodgeT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
oh, they still have the car at the moment as I will not have chance to pick it up before the weekend.