Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Advanced Driving??

Search this Thread

Old 09 January 2003, 01:52 PM
tooslow
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I thinking about taking an advanced driving course so I can get a bit more out of the scoob. Has anyone on here got any good/bad experiences with these courses? Are they worth the time money etc.
Any help appreciated.

Thanks
Old 09 January 2003, 02:27 PM
Robyn
Scooby Regular

I was just thinking the same thing, about time I got on one.

Don Palmer at DrivingDevelopments.com and Lotus1st.com seem to get good press from people on here but Ive done nether.

Porsche do one but I think that may only be Porsche drivers and its flippin expensive!

Old 09 January 2003, 02:43 PM
I_dont_giveafvk
Scooby Regular

how about IAM then
Old 09 January 2003, 04:59 PM
P1 Owner
Scooby Regular

I did the IAM test over 18months ago, got allot out of it too.

Cornering Methods, using gears correctly, looking well ahead... not just at the other two cars ahead, I'd highly reccomend everyone to do it.

Old 09 January 2003, 05:22 PM
Steve.R
Scooby Regular

I spent the day with a guy called Bernard Aubrey (who trained police drivers for 30 years) about 3 years ago. The day involved all types of driving, motorways, a-roads, etc. plus about 1.5 to 2 hours at a test track going through the different techniques used for circuit and road driving. I got alot out of it. We met a Porsche (Reading), so could this be the same mentioned by Robyn?

I don't have a contact number for him but, if interested, let me know and I will try to find it!
Old 09 January 2003, 08:20 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

hey Mr i dont give a..... fancy joining us for Cov area meet goes to santa pod? [thread hijack off]
I did look into the IAM thing although i must confess i did loose interest when insurer said it woodnt change owt but i really must do it since it is the cheapest mod u can do on any car & with argueably the best results
Si
Old 10 January 2003, 06:08 PM
wardie
Scooby Regular

How much do these courses cost? any body got any numbers?
Old 10 January 2003, 07:58 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

Dunno about the specific track type lessons or owt but IAM site from wot i recall reading a while back just a case of going 2 local group of advanced types
Si
Old 10 January 2003, 10:24 PM
jaf01uk
Scooby Regular

I teach emergency driving with the ambulance service in Scotland and I would only advise going to the IAM if you are looking to improve your visual awareness and anticipation of hazards as they tend to teach defensive driving as oppose to high performance driving, more benefit to younger drivers looking to survive the early years and lower insurance slightly. Still never ceases to amaze me when encountering students on driving courses how few of them have ever been taught how to read an assess a bend!!??
Old 01 November 2003, 12:28 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Cool

that is partly the reason i haven't yet bothered with IAM, may still do it 4 wot it's worth, as my insurance remains unchanged & while i aint exactly ancient with onyl a few years behind the wheel but without getting my head too far up my **** i gora reckon i drove safer with less crappy monouuvres the day i passed than 1/2 the muppets u encounter on the road but anyway from wot i red IAM did just seem to be a here this is how u drive safe thing which obviously is a cunning plan but not really any help with learning how to handle a car. Guess thats wot the trackdays etc r best at but those air field typa things do sounds scweeeeeeeeeeet (longest sentence award goes to ME )
Si
PS as i say not knocking driving safe etc as i aint no last minute breaking tail gating fool i just more like sound of knowing/learning how to deal with car on limits so if i did ever drive like a **** on the road at least i might b able 2 handle it

[Edited by scooby_si - 1/11/2003 12:29:09 AM]