ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Gangsta carjackers

Search this Thread

Old 10 January 2003, 02:52 PM
STiG of the dump
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

This is getting too close to home! A couple of miles from where I live a woman was carjacked this week, and guess what she was driving. That's right, and police reckon criminal gangs are targeting Subarus and BMW M3s so they can escape the long arm of the law after doing their dirty deeds.

Am I right to be worried about my wife and kids touring these mean streets in my STi Prodrive. Anybody wanna buy it, so I can sleep soundly at night?
Old 10 January 2003, 02:55 PM
image doctor
Scooby Regular

Red face

I'll take your wife and kids off you - how much are you asking.

I could do with a new family since my last lot ran off with with the guy who came round to measure my windows, Barry the window fitter if you see him. He still owes me £20 too.
Old 10 January 2003, 02:58 PM
STiG of the dump
Scooby Regular

What a pane! The window fitter - couldn't she see straight through him? Are you sure it was, or has he been framed?
Old 10 January 2003, 03:01 PM
t888-sti7
Scooby Regular

Its a lottery really. You should be alright so long as you keep the beast garaged at night and keep your windows closed plus doors locked when driving. I know its a scarry thought and I know of a few people who have given up on their scoobs because of this.

For my part, I pay a whacking great insurance premium every year so I might aswell use it. If the worst come to the worst then it will happen. Man or machine. I know which one I'll chose. Also, I made it a point not to include wifey on my policy. It's MINE ALL MINE MY PRECIOUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!
Old 10 January 2003, 03:02 PM
t888-sti7
Scooby Regular

I'll swap yer
Old 10 January 2003, 03:13 PM
Attu
Scooby Regular

A Police officer in Nottingham tried to stop a guy who had stolen a taxi of all things, from what i can figure out the cop was draged along the road before the guy did a runner..the police officer died in hospital last night .
The have caught the guy who stole the car in another stolen car ??
Yup its getting bad

Andy
Old 10 January 2003, 03:17 PM
STiG of the dump
Scooby Regular

What's more, it's only four miles down the road to the scene of the double shooting in Aston last week. It's getting to be like the OK Corale round here........

Think I'll get myself something that no-one will want to nick. Any suggestions (maybe a Punto, or a Passat?).......

Trending Topics

Old 10 January 2003, 03:20 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Poor Cop! It is a disgrace that they will kill for a car, but it is only getting worse and the Police really are not doing any thing about it (unless its one of their own) in London the druggies are nicking the cars to swap for drugs so when they hi-jack your car they are either out of their heads or desperate for their next fix.

The amount of crime generated by drugs is massive and the governments answer is to leagalise soft drugs and go soft on the rest.
Old 10 January 2003, 05:08 PM
Fullonloon
Scooby Regular

This isn't really anything new is it?
Old 10 January 2003, 05:15 PM
Katana
Scooby Regular

WTF? He died?? I thought they stabilized him? Just goes to show that life is fragile regardless..
Old 10 January 2003, 05:16 PM
STiG of the dump
Scooby Regular

Angry

What's new is that it's happened on my doorstep.........and it's not just something that happens in da ghettos!
Old 10 January 2003, 05:22 PM
carl
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/2646897.stm
Old 10 January 2003, 05:36 PM
Adrian F
Scooby Regular

Lets hope this makes them treat car thieves and car jacking seriously as we can tell from the BBS this problem is getting out of hand and a lot of people live in fear of it if they drive anything of value. Then at least some good will have come out of the pointless loss of a life.
Old 10 January 2003, 05:43 PM
Danbo
Scooby Regular

The Police do all they can about it, its the court system and sentancing that should change.

Just about every officer I know would say catching a car thief is one of the best results that they get.

Hence the tradegy of the Nottingham incident.
Old 10 January 2003, 06:21 PM
Cyberevo
Scooby Regular

Prisons are at bursting point, They can't house them so they won't sentance them.

Money saved all round for the Government!
Old 10 January 2003, 07:29 PM
No1Rich
Scooby Regular

Its totaly unimaginable to think some one would do that to another person, I hope the ******* **** rots in hell for that, as goes for those ******* gangsters who mowed down those lasses with a machine gun.
Bring back hanging and electric chairs. Those ******* will get a few years in jail, then out on good behavior. The family's of the victims have a life sentence, they'll never forget. The ******* bsatards who do the crime can...
Old 11 January 2003, 03:42 PM
boomer
Scooby Senior

Unhappy

STiG,

is this the incident you are talking about?

Taken from the SUTTON COLDFIELD OBSERVER, Friday, January 10, 2003

Car thugs tried to ****** mum's keys
by Chartotte Evans (News Reporter)

A Sutton mum was attacked by car robbers who drove into the back of her vehicle and then attempted to ****** the keys.

Louise Smith was stationary at traffic lights on Fox Hollies Road in Walmley when the car behind her failed to stop, crashing into the back of 3.20pm on Sunday, January 5.

As she got out of the car to exchange details with the driver of the other car, a Rover, two of the passengers jumped out, pushed her and made a grab at her keys.

In the scuffle that followed, Mrs Smith's hands were badly cut as her keys dug into them.

Now Mrs Smith, who has asked for her address details to be withheld for fear of reprisals, wants to warn other motorists/ especially those with high powered cars, of the potential dangers.

"When I reported this to the police they told me that Subaru and M3 BMW drivers were being targeted at the moment because they are being used in robberies.

"Fortunately they didn't get away with my car because a passing motorist heard me screaming and the three men scarpered, but I don't know what I would have done if my young child had been in the car. "People should really be aware of this and take extra care," she said.

Sergeant Sue Jones from Sutton police station said there was a worrying trend around the country at present where people in Subaru or BMW vehicles were being targeted by car jackers."There has been a rise but it is not just in Sutton, it's a national problem," she said.

"People with high powered vehicles are being hit because they are used in robberies, The cars have big boots and they make quick getaways.

"The problem we then have, of course, is it is very difficult to trace them once they have been stolen because it is much easier to sell them on with the keys.

"The criminals just change the number plates and move them on."

Sergeant Jones warned anyone who is hit from behind to take extra care.

"If you are in the car on your own and someone goes into the back of you, try and get the registration number of the car through your mirror without getting out, or drive to the nearest petrol station or supermarket before getting out so there are other people around.

"Don't take risks," she added.

Anyone with information about Sunday's incident is asked to contact the robbery team at Sutton Coldfield on 0845 113 5000.

Old 11 January 2003, 04:32 PM
STiG of the dump
Scooby Regular

That's the baby! Could have been my wife and kids. Could be my wife and kids next week. Oh, woe, woe and thrice woe.....
Old 11 January 2003, 05:47 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

There has been a number of threads on this sort of topic, many of them with good advice on security devices and defensive driving techniques - a case for a (non-muppet)'golden threads' board if ever there was one!

For my part, I side with those who say "Why the F**k should I put up with having my lifestyle choices decided for me by *******??" The only thing worse than death is the fear of death......

IMHO, then, 1) invest in suitable precautions, 2) if the worst comes to the worst hand over your keys quietly, and 3)

ENJOY

Phil
Old 11 January 2003, 06:52 PM
unclebuck
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

cornering...

my advice, get your windows tinted so they think you must be a hard man drug dealer with a gun!! People definately give you a wider birth, and it looks cool too.
Old 11 January 2003, 08:39 PM
D Hill 555
Scooby Regular

Angry

Get a Blackjax fitted?
Old 11 January 2003, 10:18 PM
doctor CLIFFORD
Scooby Regular

Stig sell it !!
I live in Erdington (the nice bit)and work in Aston (not the nice bit)
I had to get rid of mine after two kids grabed the door handles at the crossing next to Maplins on the Sutton Rd when the mrs was driving it on her own!!
A week later it was taken off my drive by a group of kids approx 8!! of them 3 held my front door shut while the rest of them pushed my STI 4 off the drive and away with a stolen car!!
I got it back (TRACKER) but they did,nt get it started so they dumped it.

The copper told me due to the amount of people that came to my house for the car that if it had a wheel clamp on it or a steering wheel lock they would have come in to the house!!

Stig Birmingham is not the place to own a Impreza!
Old 11 January 2003, 10:21 PM
doctor CLIFFORD
Scooby Regular

Or if you want to keep it give me a ring and i will fit you a Black-jax 01213591617 (MOTORGUARD)
Cheers Doc.
Old 11 January 2003, 10:45 PM
Popeye P1
Scooby Regular

I agree its worrying times. Until this governement actually takes proper action against these gangs then the problem is to get worse.
Stastically there are millions of decent cars on the road and they're more likely to target the women. Chances of it happening to you are very low.
Don't sell the car and give the scum the upperhand. Until we vote some hardline militant government in, its unhappy times ahead.
All these liberal do-gooders have ruined this country period.

Pops- vote me and I'll make sure the Scum get life.
Old 11 January 2003, 11:08 PM
Rafique
Scooby Regular

INVEST IN A GUN. DRIVE ROUND WAITING TO BE CARJACKED AND THEN SHOOT THE B*****D.
Old 11 January 2003, 11:29 PM
doctor CLIFFORD
Scooby Regular

Or you could buy a pimp-mobile !! no ones going to jack from there own !! Tint it out and sit it on 19s!
Old 11 January 2003, 11:56 PM
Sparky1066
Scooby Regular

My mate got so pissed of with people nicking his ICE that he put some nice looking ICE that was F*cked in an old MGB that he was taking apart at the time, and wired the car with quite a few thousand volts (he was an electrcian) and they got zapped when they tried to have it away again!
Old 11 January 2003, 11:57 PM
Sparky1066
Scooby Regular

What is a Blackjax by the way, and how does it work?
Old 12 January 2003, 08:41 AM
Mudchuka
Scooby Regular

Have you thought about anti-jack on your alarm system on you scoob,will be worth the money if it keeps wife and child safe from these bas%"&ds.I tell my wife to lock doors at all times just as a precaution
Old 13 January 2003, 03:22 PM
STiG of the dump
Scooby Regular

Angry

Sorry folks, dem gangsta boys have won with all their bling bling. I'm selling up cos I can't take the chance that I'll put my wife and kids through some terrifying experience just because I wanted to drive around in a very, very nice motor.

Therefore, one immaculate 02 STi Prodrive is now for sale. Anyone got £21,000 to put me out of my misery.....

Quick Reply: Gangsta carjackers