ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

MY03 WRX STI Type-UK...scoop...a joke!!

Search this Thread

Old 19 January 2003, 05:27 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs down

AJ and I decided to take a run to ayr today as S&S had a new STI in the showroom. I was gobsmacked when I saw the scoop It was so big we had to hold on to Steven to make sure he didn't get sucked in

Whats the story with that!!! It looked especially stupid in profile and totally wrecks the looks of the car! If I was getting one I'd consider a front mount and then smooth the bonnet but then the car would look totally ordinary Spoils an otherwise car IMHO.

I did notice it had an intercooler spliter though, so these things must work if Subaru have fitted one as standard. Sounds like a good way to spend my next £20
Old 19 January 2003, 05:58 PM
Mr.Manchester
Scooby Regular

why not just change the STi scoop for the smaller WRX scoop?
Old 19 January 2003, 06:00 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

I assume its that size for a reason, i.e. air flow
Old 19 January 2003, 06:11 PM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

I belive that there are people that have asked for a standard scoop in place of the Sti scoop already. I'm keepin the biggun on mine

Big is beautiful !!
Old 19 January 2003, 06:21 PM
Andy-pay
Scooby Regular

looks great!

specialy as its got a splitter.

ordered mine yesterday, and im keeping it large.
Old 19 January 2003, 06:28 PM
dhorwich
Scooby Regular

Its probably for 'function' rather than 'form'..!

Dan
Old 19 January 2003, 06:47 PM
snowcrash
Scooby Regular

i was going to say... its due to it having a larger intercooler.. therefore needs a larger scoop to route in more air..

whereas the wrc scoob has a front mounted intercooler so doesn't need a scoop really (except for advertising www.swrt.com on it - prodrive proberbly use the scoob for some other sorta engine cooling anyway, but don't require such a huge monster scoop as the road ones ... )

i like it imho

Old 19 January 2003, 08:00 PM
Knight Rider
Scooby Regular

The SWRT use the smaller scoop because the bigger one would block the codrivers view.
Old 19 January 2003, 08:05 PM
snowcrash
Scooby Regular

nothing due to the fact that their is no techincal reason to actually have a scoop ???????????? except it would make the road cars look different (as they require scoops???)???

lol
Old 19 January 2003, 09:27 PM
jbruton
Scooby Regular

I PDI'd the wrx sti in the week lovely scoop not in the way at all, kinda makes me moist thinking of it )
Old 19 January 2003, 09:34 PM
Chris L
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Saw it for the first time in the flesh at the Autosport show last week. Have to agree with Saxo Boy - it looks bloody ridiculous. I've said it before, I reckon there will be a huge after market business in small scoops - that's got to be a first for a Scooby mod

In actual fact, the smallest scoop is on the rally car, which has already been pointed out, doesn't actually need a scoop owing to FMIC. I did read somewhere that they were going to use the scoop for oil cooling, although I don't know how true that is.

In actual fact, if I'm honest, I wasn't overly impressed with the new car. Interior look identical - apart from the STI steering wheel - which is much better. I couldn't see a real improvement in the materials used. Couldn't make out the seats in the new WRX either - not sure if they were meant to be replacements for the normal buckets (if so , they were very poor) or an improvement on the alternative sport seats (if so, they weren't too bad).

Lights do look better than the old bug eye, but I reckon they could have done a whole better. Looking at the lights used on the new Legacy would have been a good starting point.

I hope that the modifications to the chassis and suspension make the difference on the road.

Chris
Old 19 January 2003, 10:31 PM
bogie
Scooby Regular

I also agree with Saxo Boy, I saw it yesterday at Nobles and it is shocking. It is right in your face from driving position too.

They should have kept the STi7 one, much better.

Sti8 one looks like some cheesy American dragster jobby!!

Long live the Bug eye.

Bogie
Old 19 January 2003, 11:30 PM
nellie
Scooby Regular

I will say it again,the best thing is the steering wheel!!! NOT A LOT ELSE!!!
Old 20 January 2003, 12:15 AM
mrdeli
Scooby Regular

ordered mine with normal WRX intake - dealer was happy to sort that out - i should think subaru will v. soon offer it as a no cost option - the big scoop is just plain silly
Old 20 January 2003, 11:50 AM
Amanda-Jane
Scooby Regular

Sti8 one looks like some cheesy American dragster jobby!!
Totally agree! My first thoughts on walking into the showroom was the Mustang in The Fast and the Furious!

I would defo be changing to the normal WRX scoop or even the Prodrive one on the WRC Scoob

AJ
Old 20 January 2003, 11:53 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

This has been pointed out already in another thread (and this one), but could it be bigger for a purpose?

The original poster mentioned heat-soak due to the top-mounted intercooler which sounds feasible to me. Wonder if that's why the scoop needs to be bigger? Perhaps it helps at high speeds, where we know that the effectiveness of the small scoop is compromised IIRC?
Old 20 January 2003, 12:30 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Its almost certainly bigger for a reason! It also has an intercooler splitter to split the airflow to both the back and the front of the intercooler. I feel if they couldn't achieve satisfactory airflow to a top mount without resorting to such a silly scoop then they should have gone front mount with a smaller cosmetic scoop. IMHO
Old 20 January 2003, 12:34 PM
Eagle7
Scooby Regular

I can't believe all you boys are thinking of having your large scoops removed in favour of a small one. Dont do it!

This means that there will be spare large scoops floating around and pretty soon every nova in town will have a bigger scoop than you!
Old 20 January 2003, 12:40 PM
Road-rash
Scooby Regular

saw a JCB with one on the other day (it was the bucket) some one has a good nick for them on one of the other threads BLOBEYE? Quality LOL.
Old 20 January 2003, 12:45 PM
ian_sadler
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I've just had a look at the STi at Adams and very nice it is too.

It's the third time I've had a chance to get a good look, Motor Show & Auto Sport Show, and I like it loads.

If you look at the scoop on its own then it is rather a lump but if you stand back and take the rest of the shape in it works (for me ) cos it sits in a hollow on the bonnet so the over all effect isn't to bad

Just my 2p's worth

Ian
Old 20 January 2003, 12:54 PM
Richard Askew
Scooby Regular

...and suddenly everyone becomes highly qualified automotive engineers

..IM spent millions developing the car therefore one would expect the scoop there for a reason??

..nah lets change it for a smaller one for 30 quid and see what happens... well its your £25K+ - best of luck!!!

Old 20 January 2003, 01:02 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

I absolutely wholeheartedly agree with SB!! I went to Lancaster 7-oaks to look at their STi8 today and, despite being a well-dressed middle-aged gent who drew onto their forecourt in front of the Sales Team in an STi 7, was totally ignored for the entire duration of my visit Perhaps they knew in advance how I'd feel about the "fuglier", and were suitably embarrassed

Bugeye looked worse in print that it did in the metal: this one is the other way round - the scoop is grossly disproportionate and completely destroys the balance of the looks of the car ..... as does the acreage of rear-light cluster lenswork IMHO. These had been less apparent (to me, at any rate) in the photographs I've seen so far. IF it's that big for function..... and remember, this car sports no significant performance improvements over STi7... then there are presumably other profiles which could have been designed? The scoop, however, draws the eye away from the 'blobeye' lights which, for me, were just 'take it or leave it.'

I'm not so sure about the WRX either. Flatter and (apparently) broader the scoop certainly is, but it has a wicked forward overhang - so much so and so sharp-edged as to make me wonder about the safety consequences. Don't know whether construction and use Regs deal with such things.........?

So, the conclusion that the steering wheel is the only improvement (together with some road-holding benefits, we're told) is one to which I can happily subscribe.

I had hoped that, as Lancasters reportedly have a demo on-the-road, I might be able to blag a quick drive and report back... - who knows, perhaps favourably - but no such luck

Keep my 7(UK)/PPP No question!!

Phil

(If they'd bothered to say 'good morning' I could have asked whether it suffers from fuel-surge for you, SB)

[Edited by Phil Harrison - 1/20/2003 1:03:39 PM]
Old 20 January 2003, 01:09 PM
Diesel
Scooby Regular

"Fuglier" - LOL (copyright it!)

Now if you think this new super scoop really is 'there for a reason', then that merans the ironing board on the back of my STi V realy is there to generate a positive downforce...
Old 20 January 2003, 01:22 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

Wink

You'd think they'd have the sense to fit a swirl pot by now

Ian S...those comments are gonna run you at least 5p - get the cheque in the post
Old 20 January 2003, 01:34 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Angry

The bigger scoop is to enable the entire car to shove itself up it's own ****

For reasons behind 'scathing anti-Subaru remarks, from normally mellow, placid like chappy ' - please check title from same author called new gearbox and engine on an MY99 within 5 month period

Subaru = ****

PS Stopped smoking 31/12/2002 , can you tell? [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

[Edited by SiPie - 1/20/2003 1:36:13 PM]
Old 20 January 2003, 01:44 PM
LG John
Scooby Regular

You need a pint mate Name the time and the place I'll even leave the scoob at home so that I don't further depress you!!
Old 20 January 2003, 01:46 PM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

Smile

Guys I currently drive a Civic Type R but I am looking to change to the STi 8 so on Sunday I went down to my local Scoob dealer and managed to get a look at their STi 8 which was just off the boat.

My views were that the scoop was a bit ott but it must be there for a reason so I would not change it, the body kit is also a lot better with the sideskirts now tapered into the body at the front. The interior looked the same as the STi 7 apart from the steering wheel which was realy nice.

So I will be definately put an order in for one, I used to own an EVO VI GSR and considered going back to Mitsubishi for the VIII but as they still have the same 6 month service interval I couldn't be ar$ed.

Just another thing, what about the PPP, will it be available for order so that it comes with my STi 8?

Cheers

[Edited by Boyakasha - 1/20/2003 1:48:00 PM]
Old 20 January 2003, 02:34 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Boyakasha,

AIUI, yes. But we had to wait longer than we'd hoped for STi7/PPP development work to be complete, and there was/is a logistical problem with the amended ECUs, so don't bank your shirt on it

Phil
Edit for spelling

[Edited by Phil Harrison - 1/20/2003 2:38:13 PM]
Old 20 January 2003, 03:57 PM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Thanks Phil, reason being is that I don't want to buy the car without it as then I will not be getting the best value out of the warranty, plus I would like the car to be run with the extra power from the begining so that any problems can be dealt with early doors.
Old 20 January 2003, 04:02 PM
MurrayZA
Scooby Regular

That scoop just cant play nicely with the car's drag CD and cabin wind noise figures. I want to hear a boxer 4 throb, not wind gusting past !

Quick Reply: MY03 WRX STI Type-UK...scoop...a joke!!