Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

LHD Imports from Holland

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2000, 07:43 AM
quattro
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have decided to purchase a MY00 Impreza Turbo left-hand drive, register it in the UK and drive it on the continent whenever going there.

Could those with experience advise where it would be the cheapest to buy (Holland, Beligum?). I know most of us would normally ask for a RHD vehicle, but still hope some have a piece of advice to save me time searching for dealers, etc.

I also presume it would take much less long to get a LHD and there seem to be other models and coloure available, too.

Apologies if I did not pay attention when this alreasy may have been discussed and many thanks for all the help in advance.

regards
q.

PS. Info off-line also gladly accepted if more convenient.
Old 28 February 2000, 09:21 AM
epyjymp
Scooby Newbie

quattro,

You may run into a bit more redtape than usual at your Vehicle Registration Office when you register your LHD car:

The staff at the VRO might refuse to register your car when they realise it's LHD.

When I tried to register my LHD car, I first had to send my C.o.C. to the Vehicle Certification Agency in Bristol, together with 62 pounds and a declaration stating that I had carried out various modifications to the lights, speedo, etc.

The VCA then sends you an SVA certificate (not to be confused with an SVA test for a grey import from Japan). This then allows you to return to the VRO, where the jobsworth staff will happily process your registration application.

Hope this is of help.

epyjymp.
Old 28 February 2000, 09:38 AM
quattro
Scooby Regular

It helps a lot indeed, thank you.

I do not mind doing what it takes as long as I know what is the list of 'changes' required to make the car legal in the UK. If you or anyone else knows what needs to be done, please advise.

Thanks again.

q.
Old 28 February 2000, 01:02 PM
epyjymp
Scooby Newbie

I don't know the exact requirements for an Impreza (confession time: my LHD car is an MCC Smart . . . ), but I suspect the items will include:

* headlamps 'permanently' adjusted to dip to the left

* rear fog light fitted on RHS of car

* speedo to read in BOTH mph and km/h

There may be some other rather strange declarations to make: I had to confirm the nuumber of seats and that side repeat indicators were fitted!

epyjymp.