Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

WRX vs MX5 vs Armco = One very dented Mazda!

Search this Thread

Old 25 January 2003, 06:52 PM
met
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[Edited by met - 4/6/2003 10:52:16 PM]
Old 25 January 2003, 07:05 PM
Bradders
Scooby Regular

Doh! Mr mx5 won't do that again. Hope the guy is ok though.
Old 25 January 2003, 07:39 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Smile

Sounds like a pr**k to me.

I used to have highly modified silver lowered Eunos.
It looked fantastic and is one of the best drivers cars I have owned. Superb feedback, RWD I can not stress how much of a joy it was to drive...better than the scooby in some respects.

However. 1. - It was not quick in straight line. I never used to race people, because that was not what it was about.

2. - In the dry it was great to drive round twisty bends. In the wet forget it. Drive it slowly and wait for the next dry day when you can enjoy it.

So what was this idiot doing playing with a scoob in the wet!!!
Shakes head in disbelief.

No one was hurt that's the main thing
Best wishes
steve
Old 25 January 2003, 10:43 PM
Midmotorsteve
Scooby Regular

Talking

girl from work has an mx5, her husband has a turbo2000 actually so hello if you read this, in crap weather she gets him to drop her to work cause she says the mx5 is to scary..
Old 25 January 2003, 11:16 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't say our MX5 is scary in the wet, with 146 BHP it still needs some severe abuse to get it to behave badly, much more than you should be giving it.
You just have to drive it within it's capabilities, the reduced visibility and the fact you are sitting so low are more of an problem than the handling of the car in the wet.
Old 25 January 2003, 11:21 PM
Scoobydick
Scooby Regular

Probably lost it because he was cutting someones bloody hair at the same time
Old 26 January 2003, 02:10 AM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Smile

AlapP
I think that the MX5/Eunos is a cracking car.

But sitting low down in the the wet (RWD) ... drive it slowly. Don't race Scoobies. Because you will hit armco

In the dry - Don't race Scoobies as, cause you will lose
But what lovely car to drive down a country road with the top down.

Best wishes
steve
Old 26 January 2003, 11:30 AM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

so you stopped to make sure he was ok?
Old 26 January 2003, 11:49 AM
Dark Blue Mark
Scooby Regular

I beat one of these when I was a youngster in an XR2i

They are girls cars at the end of the day.

MB
Old 26 January 2003, 11:56 AM
scooby-new
Scooby Regular

I wouldn't have stopped- as discussed previously this kind of maniac might be tooled up and decide to revenge himself/his car by doing something very bad. Think about that Tw*t Kenneth Noy (think thats what he was called) who stabbed that poor guy to death in front of his girlfriend on the M25 over nothing. Its not worth stopping- in any case Met wasn't even racing this Fcukwit- I say leave him to his fate- he brought it on himself. Just glad no-one but tosser was involved in his "accident".
Old 26 January 2003, 12:24 PM
Brun
Scooby Senior

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Well said.
Old 26 January 2003, 12:50 PM
met
Scooby Regular

i slowed up & did consider checking he was ok, the impact i guess after snaking & spinning couldnt have been more than 30mph i guess & thats with spinning in the gravel bit before going into the armco, i did not stop though, there were no other cars involved, he was clearly an idiot, & would have been very wound up over the incident & could have been up for a ruck or perhaps just to stab me to death, i genuinly did not know he was racing me until we were coming into the bend, the roads were very very greasy/wet. i was concerned that he was alright but i did not need to get involved he raced me he crashed, thank god no one else was involved.
Old 26 January 2003, 05:29 PM
Allan
Scooby Regular

Hmmmmm.........as Steve says in the right environment they are cracking cars for Male or Female drivers. Who cares if they can't beat an XR2i

I get just as much enjoyment out of driving it as I do the Scooby.

Allan
Old 26 January 2003, 07:32 PM
MooseRacer
Scooby Regular

i did not stop though, there were no other cars involved, he was clearly an idiot, & would have been very wound up over the incident & could have been up for a ruck or perhaps just to stab me to death
Why, just because he span his car on his own, would he have wanted to add murder to his list of misdemeanours?
I hope for your sake that if (god forbid) you ever have an incident in your motor the people who witness it are a bit more helpful.
Old 26 January 2003, 07:40 PM
LB4
Scooby Regular

There was no reason for you to stop, it wasn't your fault, just because he couldn't drive his car properly is nothing to do with you! ... had a similar experince this week with a much faster car then mine, i too never stopped.
Old 26 January 2003, 08:07 PM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

Playing Devil's Advocate......

You didn't have to race him in the first place.....

It's a Scoob for God's Sake

Dan
Old 26 January 2003, 08:51 PM
met
Scooby Regular

i seriously did not realise he was racing me, til we entered the bend at wich point i realised what was going on, whos to say had i not have floored it he still would have lost control & side swiped my car, i work hard to keep my scoob on the road, we all know it aint cheap, to let some moron smash it up cos he has to prove something.
Old 26 January 2003, 08:57 PM
DocJock
Scooby Regular

Well my Eunos-S is a fecking riot in the wet

Sideways opportunities aplenty....in fact that's exactly what I use it for.
Old 26 January 2003, 09:36 PM
Echo
Scooby Regular

Smile

I used to have great fun in my MX5 in the wet but the other half, well, she learnt the hard way and landed me with a big bill, so it went and I got her a slower but better handling (for her!) Sport!

FWIW, I found that that loads of people hate them for some reason and had stacks of road rage encounters. So far, none of that in the scobie!

:-)

Mike
Old 26 January 2003, 11:50 PM
Tiggs
Scooby Regular

have i missed something? you witness an accident and didnt stop or call for help incase the driver tried to kill you?

Old 27 January 2003, 12:25 AM
met
Scooby Regular

you havent missed anything, i witnessed an accident & did not stop, as far as i am aware it is not a legal requirement to do so, particularly under the cicumstances, i drive into central london daily & if were to stop at every accident i saw.......... had it of been a serious accident of course i would have stopped, the guy spun out & smacked the crash barrier & no else was involved,
Old 27 January 2003, 11:48 AM
Beemer_Deano
Scooby Regular

Met did the right thing IMO, I wouldn't stop either..... I've had:-

1) a guy repeatedly try to stop me by cutting in front of me at lights after performing a perfectly safe and legal overtaking manoeuver.
2) a group of lads offer me out of the car, and when I told them to f*ck off they drove 2 miles up the hard shoulder of the motorway to catch me up - because I beeped the driver for starting to pull into lane 2 of a dual carriageway without looking.

Plus the usual bunch of arseholes who get angry if they can't keep up - most of the time I don't even realise they're racing!

Also, a friend had a car try to keep up with him in similar circumstances, it too crashed (at some distance behind him) and he turned round to give assistance. The police were called, and the driver basically admitted racing and implicated my mate, with the result that he recieved a six month ban for dangerous driving.

People get angry when they make mistakes.... unless I was directly involved it'd have to be a bit more than a bump before I'd stop and give them the chance to take it out on me.

Deano
Old 27 January 2003, 12:14 PM
T4molie
Scooby Regular

My missus owns a eunos roadster of which I get to drive during the week (only for the odd trip to the gym...etc....) - don't like to unwrap the Scoob for small trips!

It's a great little motor....BUT.....You'd have to be completely stupid to think that you could take a Scoob in one?

The 2 cars are built for completely different reasons - one is for anyone who fancies themselves as a bit of an astronaut (in the good sense!) and the other for someone who likes a nice sunday afternoon drive in the sun.

IMHO - of course.....

T4
Old 27 January 2003, 01:29 PM
met
Scooby Regular

nice one deano well said.
Old 27 January 2003, 01:32 PM
HardcoreSax
Scooby Newbie

I don't see why it surprises you that other people in seemingly slower cars want to race you in your Scooby...

What surprises me more is that people in Scoobies want to race cars that they think are considerably slower than theirs...

I've had a couple of Scoobies try and race me...

For gods sake a drive a Saxo VTR... under normal circumsatnces I wouldn't stand a cat in hells chance...

However lets just say I think they were at least both surprised at the outcome!
Old 27 January 2003, 03:16 PM
Mungo
Scooby Regular

Would you really go back up the sliproad of a motorway to assist someone who had just crashed? Surely that's stupidly dangerous?
Old 27 January 2003, 03:43 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Hope the guy is alright, despite his driving..

I know only too well how the MX5 handles in the wet, even when you are not messing around they can be evil cars in wet conditions.
Old 27 January 2003, 03:51 PM
met
Scooby Regular

i'm sure he was fine the impact with the barrier was slight after snaking & going over muddy gravely stuff, so i am sure he was fine, injured pride. was thinking about an mx5 for the girlfriend & as a second car for me, but maybe not!
Old 27 January 2003, 03:59 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Arrow

Met - they aren't a good arounder (weather wise) for drivers that aren't used to rear wheel drive... although if you are sensible, theorically you should be ok.

Personally, the Elise is a better idea due to the front and rear roof struts.. the major concern for me would be if the MX5 went over (flipped), you'd be a gonna. I was lucky, when I crashed mine it spun, but was very close to flipping

Alex
Old 27 January 2003, 04:59 PM
met
Scooby Regular

yeah perhaps not an option for the missus then as she is inexperienced, didnt think about the lack of rollbar either, could be painfull, lucky you didnt roll it

Quick Reply: WRX vs MX5 vs Armco = One very dented Mazda!