How to carry a bike on an RB5/99 turbo

Search this Thread

Old 24 February 2000, 12:53 AM
Andy F
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Me again wanting more help!!

My other passion is cycling and I need to know if anyone knows of a bike rack (boot mounted not towbar) that will fit a RB5 with the standard (non-prodrive) spoiler? Cheers

Andy
Old 24 February 2000, 02:26 PM
andy_w
Scooby Regular

Andy,

I would also like to know this, having just bought a mountain bike and awaiting arrival of my scooby. However, I think you would have been better posting this under the General Questions section.

Cheers,
Andy
Old 24 February 2000, 02:43 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Er, Andy-W it is posted under the general questions section

I have a mountain bike, and take the wheels and saddle off and put it in the boot fits a treat with the back seats down. I realise this may not be any use if you want to take passengers and more than 2 bikes though means you dont have to worry about covering the number plate and lights though.

If you go to a proper bike shop, they should be able to let you try various racks to see if they fit or not.
Old 24 February 2000, 03:11 PM
brooks
Scooby Regular

Try going to
Old 24 February 2000, 03:30 PM
andyp
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Andy,

I've got a 'small' spoilered MY95 and I haven't found a boot mounted system that fits over it. Best bet is to get the THULE roof mounted system - it's the 'dogs'. However, if you're a mountain biker, you might have problems with certain disc-brake/fork combos. Another problem was lifting heavy downhill-type bikes onto the roof. The simple and most elegant solution is to lower your cars suspension

Cheers,

Andy
Old 24 February 2000, 05:01 PM
JohnS

Smile

Ian,

I moved this message form the Private sale seciton to this section, where it has been noticed and responded to a bit better
Old 24 February 2000, 05:06 PM
Andy K
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Yep, I'm a secret mountain biker too. I've also resorted to putting the back seat down but you can only get one bike in and it kacks up the inside of the boot and seat backs in no time - good old Peak District mud and grit - and thats even if you're careful and try and line it with something. Could be something to do with the G's rattling it all around on the way back...

Tow bar based racks seem best out of the mates I ride with, though I have got an old boot mounted rack that will (just) fit but I've had to wrap sponge round it to stop the brace rubbing on the spoiler - less than satisfactory. Both car and bike survived a return trip to the Cotswolds from where I live on the edge of the Peaks. I think the rack came from Halfords.

At all costs avoid the type of roof rack system where the saddle sits in a plastic saddle shaped thing with the bike upside down. A mate had a very expensive full suss Cannondale written off by the Sierra following him on the motorway when it fell off. All parties were somewhat less than happy.

The only other observation about roof racks is what people have said above re fuel, plus, all the crud off your bike ends up on the car - not nice if you cycle through the winter.

Andy

Trending Topics

Old 24 February 2000, 05:37 PM
blp
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I went for a Thule System removable roof rack and two fantastic bike holders, which hold the bike by both the frame and the wheels.
Look at the thule web site and The Roof Box Company, who I would reccomend a purchase from.
Anyone interested email me, and i can get a discount.
Old 24 February 2000, 05:47 PM
MorayMackenzie
Scooby Senior

Cool

Ian et al,

I seem to recall the RB5 didn't have folding back seats, or am I wrong?

Moray
Old 24 February 2000, 07:19 PM
andyp
Scooby Regular

Talking

Seem to be a lot of 'Andy' moutain bikers on this thread

Agree with Andy (K?) about cheapo roof carriers - but the proper THULE ones are really good with a good cam action on the QR so it can get round the safety dropouts on most forks. They also come with an itegrated locking mechanism. Expensive as I recall (60quid each!) but really really sturdy. Also a thing to remember is the Scoobies roof is actually quite short so the THULE system is one of the only ones to hold the front and back really securely. I've got a Kona full suspension (a pretty hefty peace of kit) and it's rock solid on the roof. Fuel consumption is not so hot - but it's a great pose value as you zoom past someone with two cool looking bikes on the roof!

Tow bar racks are in many ways a more elegant solution...if you don't mind a whacking tow bar on the back and everyone snigering at you because they think your a bloody caravan owner! Does stop your car getting dirty though.

End of rant,

Andy P

PS. AndyK - Where do you go riding in the Peaks?
Old 24 February 2000, 08:24 PM
Dave Kinloch
Scooby Newbie

I've got a towbar bike carrier on my MY00. I've tried to avoid the caravaner look by removing the ball and just leaving on the bike carrier bracket. Mind you I do have two very ugly looking rusty bolts which need replacing urgently.

I haven't noticed the tow bar stopping the car getting dirty though....
Old 24 February 2000, 08:37 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Oh B***** forgot about the RB5 and its non folding rear seats

Old 24 February 2000, 09:26 PM
millband
Scooby Regular

Wink

Come on guys!! If you're going to have a "lifestyle", you need a 5-door....
Old 25 February 2000, 10:41 AM
Andy F
Scooby Newbie

Cool

Cheers for all the help guys!! I think Thule it is.

Andy P, Andy K I'm based in Manchester and ride alot in the peak both on and off road. How's about a meet for a ride sometime? My email (no abuse please) is RB5_turbo@yahoo.co.uk if you want to sort something off-line.

Cheers

Andy (F)
Old 25 February 2000, 11:04 AM
Markus
Scooby Regular

millband:
Agree with you about the 5 door. Doggie and bikes, plus girlfriends addiction to IKEA means that a saloon is out of the question, hence my scoob will be of the 5 door variety.
Old 25 February 2000, 05:40 PM
Andy K
Scooby Regular

Andy F, Andy P

I'm based in Bollington near Macclesfield near Buxton etc etc. Most of our riding is done from home around the Macclesfield Forest, Wild Boar Clough, Roaches, Hayfield areas with occasional car trips out to do the circuit of Ladybower, Rushup Edge and Royce Clough, Edale and sometimes over to Wales to the Karrimor or Red Bull runs.

I ride with a bunch of mates (we're almost a proper club) and set out most Sunday mornings usually meeting in Bollington before setting out in cars or on the bikes, depending on the run. Abilities are very mixed (especially in my case) and ages range from 34 to 58. Sadly all blokes.
Let me know if you fancy a ride.

Andy K
Old 25 February 2000, 05:51 PM
SteveF
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Andy

I seem to be the only one around here who actualy has a boot mounted bike carrier - it came from Halfords, and cost me about £40 a couple of years ago. Its the 3 bike version, and adjusts in enough ways to fit through the spoiler (MY99 type standard spoiler - with about a 6 inch gap), rest on top of the bumper, and secures with 6 straps (2 on the front edge of the boot lid, 2 on the sides by the rear lights, and 2 under the bumper on the securing eye & exhaust mount)

So far Its worked fine, and I've thrown the Scoob round some lovely Welsh roads ( See thread on 'favorite roads') with 2 bikes on the back without damage to the car or bikes.

By the way I can also recommend Thule roof bars for the Scoob, but they do make a lot of noise!

Cheers

Steve
Old 25 February 2000, 06:10 PM
andyp
Scooby Regular

Andy,

Word of warning about the THULE bike carriers with full suspension bikes:-

If you get the new ones and have Hope disc brakes on Mazzochi Bombers then the calipers do tend to snarl on the QR mechanism. I've got an odd set of new and old ones and while the new one have a vastly superior QR mech compared to the old, the old design doesn't get in the way of the disc calipers. If you can get the old ones that you might be better off with these.

Andy K - Bollington... is that near the little hill with the white t*t on top? I used to live in South MCR (Levenshulme) many moons ago and ride for Discount Cycles (is that still open?). So many rides around Mac forest, Hayfield, New Mills, etc...Now I'm in Nottingham but still try and ride round Hope, etc. (work willing). Hopefully I'll bump into you sometime - you'll recognise me as the out-of-breath one on a putrid green Kona Stinky DeeLux with a bunch of much fitter people on flash bikes.

Cheers for now,

Andy
Old 25 February 2000, 06:45 PM
Phil R
Scooby Regular

I have an RB5 and a use a bike bag to carry the bike inside the car. Its really useful and the wheels fit inside the bag to. The bag is of heavy weight cordura and it also has a shoulder strap
Old 25 February 2000, 07:08 PM
ROSS
Scooby Regular

Cool

Thats h.Andy for Andy tell me would that be an andybag
Sorry could't resist it.
Old 27 February 2000, 07:31 PM
millband
Scooby Regular

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:<HR>Originally posted by Markus:
<B>millband:
Agree with you about the 5 door. Doggie and bikes, plus girlfriends addiction to IKEA means that a saloon is out of the question, hence my scoob will be of the 5 door variety.[/quote]

Same here - it was the only practical option as long as you can put up with the rattles and squeaks (or do they all do that??). Sorry for the slow reply - out doing "lifestyle" things in the Lake District!
Old 28 February 2000, 12:12 AM
Andy F
Scooby Newbie

Cool

Phil R, excellent idea!!. I've got a bike bag and never thought of using it!!

Andy K, email on its way but I'll come out for a spin.
Old 28 February 2000, 12:50 AM
gareth
Scooby Regular

Anyone found a boot-mounted carrier that will work with a 5dr?

Or alternatively a roof-mounted dog crate...?
Old 28 February 2000, 01:45 PM
Grubby
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

I am not sure if any of these would be suitable, but if 'value for money' comes into it then you might like to look at
Old 28 February 2000, 02:08 PM
Adam B
Scooby Regular

Cool

Having never been happy with the idea of a boot mounted
rack and having to put up with a bike in the car as
a result I've followed the thread with interest. I personally still think the towbar solution is the best.

As an aside do any of you go to the Red Kite Bash
in Llanwtdd (sp?) Wells (mid Wales) ? Held on the
second weekend in August I've been the last four years.
Top guided rides (all abilities), good events (trials,
downhill etc) and luverly roads

Would be great to get a bunch of scoobies in attendance.

Adam

PS. I am in no way connected with the event organisers etc ....

Old 28 February 2000, 02:13 PM
Mark Johnson
Scooby Regular

Okay here goes.

I have a small spoiler and no tow bar, I dont want to put the bike in the car or on the roof.

Does anyone have any suggestions other than buying a tow bar which will be very expensive.

Cheers

Mark