Received 53 Likes on 30 Posts
Cool

I'll run it in for them free of charge, should only take 1 day
Old 28 February 2000, 11:41 AM
Nightmare
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Morning all,

I just thought Id share my experience of driving the new Delfino Feroce on last Thursday......

I went over to Stafford early afternoon, where I met Allard, Rob (designer) and Sean (engineer). All three were really nice guys and seemed very keen on whatever opinion I could offer (mad obviously )

Before I went I had reasonable hopes for this - though I guessed there might be a little 'kit carness' about it all... I was wrong.

The car itself looks amazing. The finish is first class, and you would assume it was a 100% top class sports manufacturers development. It looks a little like a cross between a Marcos (with a properly designed back end) and a superbike 0 there are some delightful detail touches on it!

Then they turned it on. K&N filter and exhaust. hahahahahahaha outstanding!

Sean then took me up and down the road in it so I had an idea of where the road went, then they handed me the keys!!! Which was nice. I fully intended to take it pretty easy - after all, it is the only one in existence, and it isnt mine! That lasted for about 5 minutes.

Most of you know what I own, and suffice to say I think Ive driven just about every marque and all 'main stream' sports cars and I have NEVER been in anything that would live with this on a normal road. It is absolutely stunningly fast. I actually shook for about 10 minutes after (finally) taking it back again - much to the guys amusement! I also couldnt stop grinning!

This only has the UK 208BHP engine in it, rather than the 276 version the prodution model will have - god only knows what it'll do then!!!

It felt like driving a cross between an Impreza and an Elise. I only guessing here, but I reckon it probably weighs about 2/3rds as much as the Imp, and the weight distriubtion is a bit further forward - making it very 'darty' but very sure footed.
and soooooooo fast.

It didnt squeak or rattle - the interior is attractive, albeit a bit spartan at the moment - Im not sure if its finished or not - kinda forgot to ask! - its backed by the usual Subaru warranty, and it looks amazing.

Frankly, I was gobsmacked.

If you're gonna be at Donnington on the 5th, then you'll be in for a serious treat. Considering the price (£39,500) you are getting a LOT of car for the money. It doesnt half make the P1 look overpriced.

Hope you havent all fallen asleep reading this yet - but the grin is STILL there!!!

cheers
Night

Old 28 February 2000, 11:51 AM
AlexM
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Nightmare,

I first saw the car in June last year, while Allard was parked up outside my house. I went to ask him about the car, and he told me all about it.

I think the all-up weight is around 980kg, which will ensure a pretty exciting power to weight ratio for the finished article (280ps).

I think it is also running Impreza-based transmission and suspension components, although the track is wider.Isn't the weight distribution going to be very nose heavy in that configuration? Did it have a tendancy to understeer as per the Impreza?.

I'm not convinced regarding the styling, but it does look purposeful and individualistic. I understand the front and rear will be different on the production cars...

You lucky blighter....

Rgds,

Alex

Old 28 February 2000, 01:47 PM
robman
Scooby Regular

Nightmare - you should have popped in to see me in Stafford. I could've taken you out in the wife's 1.1 Fiesta in return for a spin in one of your cars )

Alex, are you in Stafford?

r
Old 28 February 2000, 02:19 PM
Nightmare
Scooby Regular

Rob - sounds like a deal to me!

Alex - I found it understeered significantly less than the scooby - the reduction in overall weight is probably helping here. It really is a 'point and squirt' machine. Mind you, I was on roads I didnt know, in a car I didnt know, so was probably only at about 7/10ths! Saying that, it was amazingly easy to get 'comfortable' in.

John - think its already run in - Allard has done about 5K in the last few months....mind you, nothing compared to your epic trip !

I would never usually push a car at people as a good idea (with Simon and the esprit it wa just answering questions) but I would stronly suggest that anyone who is thinking of getting a new car - maybe a newer imp, should have a look at this - you will be blown away!
Old 28 February 2000, 02:42 PM
Reza
Scooby Regular

Did they say how fast it was?(0-60, 0-100, 100-0?)
Old 28 February 2000, 03:32 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

Check their web site

Trending Topics

Old 28 February 2000, 04:36 PM
SDB
Scooby Regular

Hi Nightmare

Mail me when you get a minute?

Cheers

Simon
Old 28 February 2000, 05:26 PM
Nightmare
Scooby Regular

They had someone from Power engineering with all the datron (sp?) equipment down on Tuesday. Ive sent Allard an e-mail asking if he'll send me the official figures, and will post them when they arrive...

I think, with the 208bhp engine in they were getting 0-60 in 4.2/3 consistently......

Simon - shall e-mail you tonight....

cheers
Night