Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

fishing on my bbc1
Old 27 January 2003, 07:57 PM
pcdude
Scooby Regular

rb i saw that

and the car in the middle lane of the motorway looked like a scoob classic or was i wrong ?

it was slighty blurred out on purpose

it was bad press whatever it was anyway
Old 28 January 2003, 09:02 AM
SideShowBob
Scooby Regular

What annoyed me about that program, was the way they tried to link the tragic death of that girl, to the chaps speeding on the M25.

The circumstances of the accident that took the young girls life sounded very different to me, ie, out with a bunch of friends, in London, where the driver was speeding, yet the drivers they interviewed drove late at night on an empty M25, and alone.
I think they used that to try and make it all appear a lot more negative than it perhaps is.

I know its very dangerous to speed anywhere, and you could involve an inocent person, but I dont feel the girls death related to what the program was showing (ie speeding alone on predominantly empty motorways) at all.
Old 28 January 2003, 10:10 AM
Andy Tang
Scooby Regular

Angry

What a disjoint, poorly organised, badly reported news item!!! [img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]

It covered the following items:

1) Guys racing on the M25 at night at over 100mph
2) A 15 year old girl killed in an accident
3) Stopping distances
4) Speed cameras and detectors

It was a poor link, trying use examples as to why radar detectors should be banned!

1) Rich chaps racing Skylines, Ferraris, etc on the public road. Yes it's stupid, but there were claims of over 200mph on the M25. It makes me wonder how much of that is true, the documentary made it sound like they get on the M25, then up to 200mph!! Makes me wonder how often they actually reach those speeds!

As a side issue, the way the documentary was cut, made them look stupid, with comments along on the lines of "I use high quality components and have full faith in them!"

2) A 15 year old girl is killed when the car she was in was racing in South London. She got in the car, she chose not to wear seatbelt, she trusted the 19 year old driver. She was thrown from the car when it hit a tree and got run over by another car.

It is appalling that she died in such a manner! Speed in built up areas is stupid, we all know that, but I really don't see how similar racing on an empty motorway is compared to a built up area!

3) Braking distances, in a standard Ford Focus. Yes there is a great difference in stopping distances between 60mph and 90mph, but we all learnt that during our driving tests! The thing that annoys me is trying to compare a standard Ford Focus to a Skyline, etc, etc.

There was a huge difference in braking distances when I changed from standard 4 pots to AP 6 pots! So much so I was stopping 2 metres before the stop line for lights initally!

4) Apparently a radar/laser detector is the tool of the street racer!! Maybe but I would also say it's the tool of someone wanting to retain their license. I would say it was a tool to avoid the revenue generators that the govenment are using to tax the already highly taxed motorist, I would also say that it also achieves what the govenment want, and that's to highlight traffic blackspots!

As a side issue, the speed camera they had their 'expert' stand in front of, was vandelised with green spray paint over the lense!!!

Conclusion

I found that the documentary disjointed and made lots of sweeping generalisations! Using extreme examples for both sides of the story, which we really can't relate to!

Yes I speed, yes I have raced cars, yes I have a radar detector, do I do 200mph? No. Do I want to kill someone? No, of course not but I don't race/speed in built up areas.

Local BBC documentary trying to make hard hitting news stories, and failing badly in my honest opinion!
Old 28 January 2003, 10:23 AM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

I found that the documentary disjointed and made lots of sweeping generalisations! Using extreme examples for both sides of the story, which we really can't relate to!
So a normal news item from the BBC then... if there are no fact to back up the case sensationalise!
Old 28 January 2003, 10:31 AM
Nimbus
Scooby Regular

Question

Are you going to put a complaint in? Whatever good that would do.

Trending Topics

Old 28 January 2003, 11:59 AM
CarolineA
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Just checked the Inside Out message board... It seems there are a few other people who share your view Andy...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cgi-perl/h2/h2....ive.community&

Speeding - Myth vs Reality Careful Driver - 1st post - 27 Jan 2003 21:35

This evenings program on Speeding was sensationalist tabloid journalism of the worst kind. It lacked any real facts or statistical data to back up the opinionated biased speculation of an industry that has grown up around the myth that speed and speed alone kills.

FACT: Bad driving can kill

But speeding in itself does not mean the driver of a car is a bad driver. Drunk driving, tail-gating, lane swapping (undertaking), inapproriate speed (driving too slowly) and generally inconsiderate driving can and do contribute to many more motoring accidents. The fact is that speeding is easy to target and that Policing most other forms of bad driving require judgement (a live Police officer) rather than a dumb radar trap.

FACT: Accidents happen

It is an unfortunate fact of life that accidents happen. The victims of accidents will naturally want to blame someone and in some cases there is an individual who is to blame but to lash out at all drivers is not reasonable.

FACT: Speed traps mainly generate reveune

There is no credible evidence that speed cameras or speed traps have had any material impact on accident rates. The main result of using speed cameras is revenue generation. In many cases revenue generated by speeding fines is used to buy more speed camera and speed trap equipment. The myth that this equipment directly saves lives is perpetuated by manufacturers who want to sell and maintain more and more kit. Rarely if ever does the money seem to be spent on more traffic officers who can Police bad driving in general.

FACT: Cars contributed over £40 in billion taxes to the UK treasury last year

Despite the reliance on revenue generated by cars the Government seems to be obsessed with persecuting the motorist. In many cases the bad behaviour of a miniscule proportion of the driving public is used as justification for further action against motorists.

Other inaccuracies in the program include:

the boasting claims of the sports car owners whose cars in most cases are incapable of the speeds claimed. Top speed of the Nissan Skyline as featured is 155 mph, even the Ferrari Modena shown cannot reach 200mph. To reach top speed the cars would require a clear dry road plenty of time, space and good visibility these conditions can be found on motorways late at night but not in the middle of a populated area. Whilst I cannot condone such speeds on public roads the only person that is usually put in danger is the driver himself.

the speculation that radar detectors and GPS speed trap alarms allow drivers to speed irresponsibly. In fact there is statistical evidence that owners of such equipment are less likely to have an accident, evidence that was ignored by the program.

[Edited by CarolineA - 1/28/2003 12:03:35 PM]