Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

no one wants scoobys no more?

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2003, 07:46 PM
David N
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am try to sell my loved scooby. it a uk car with mods am asking for not much money and no one wants it WHY???

any thought

thanks
Old 27 January 2003, 07:55 PM
Midmotorsteve
Scooby Regular

Talking

where are you in oxford? don't see a great number of scoobys here? how old, how much?
Old 27 January 2003, 07:57 PM
David N
Scooby Regular

Headington
my98
58000 miles
offers > £7600

see for sale section
Old 28 January 2003, 11:02 AM
swan
Scooby Regular

Locally resale values have taken a serious knock since the MY03 was announced/released.
Old 28 January 2003, 11:17 AM
Skittles
Scooby Regular

Hi, its not just scoobs, its basically all performance cars at he moment (except ofcourse some supercar/brand new models).

The second hand car market is at a real low at the moment.
Old 28 January 2003, 11:35 AM
Katana
Scooby Regular

I'm in Oxford too (Summertown). You can sell your car easier if you took your mods off. Most buyers shun mods of any kind.
Old 28 January 2003, 01:40 PM
image doctor
Scooby Regular

There are too many scoobs about, they are as common as dirt.

The classic is the choice of the max power crowd, new bug eye too slow.

Trending Topics

Old 28 January 2003, 03:30 PM
Flyboy-F33
Scooby Regular

Dunno if this will cheer you up, but I sold my 98 STi a few weeks ago for £10,400, mind you, it was mint.
Old 28 January 2003, 03:42 PM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hang in there M8, someone will have it. Try not to be too down heartened by some of the previous comments. There IS a buyer out there for you. As for the comment about shunning mods It depends what you have had done, if it's cosmetic and the exhaust then you are laffin' no probs. If you've stuck a FMIC on and modified the turbo, pistons etc, it doesn't mean that the car suddenly becomes un saleable, simply that your target audience will be smaller. i.e people who know what to look for in a modified car. Chances are, your buyer will be someone who currently has a high mileage scoob already and knows that a decatted exhaust is nothing to worry about.

All IMHO

Mikey
Old 28 January 2003, 03:45 PM
pslewis
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy

Its the Mods - take 'em off!!

Pete

All the mags say that Modded Imprezas blow up!!

[Edited by pslewis - 1/28/2003 3:46:48 PM]
Old 28 January 2003, 09:37 PM
David N
Scooby Regular

thanks I keep trying

regards
David
Old 29 January 2003, 01:59 AM
exesspeed
Scooby Regular

Thumbs down

Sorry bud its cos its a uk car, no one wants em, ask any scooby trader, wont touch em ,dont sell, people want mainly import,s plus er the car market is on its ***, ang the time of year doesnt help e.ther, all the people i know want imports not uk, even though on the road , their similar, its that wrx more bhp, pub talk thing, good luck any how
Old 29 January 2003, 11:50 PM
dariogatso
Scooby Regular

nothing to do with it being a uk car..ther are as many people who won't touch a pimp'd up import as ther are those who wont go for a uk car...add on's will put people off...on the uk..ppp is all that counts..not saying that prodrive is the bee's knees..but it atleast gives some peace of mind that if someone is gonna pay ther prices..they may just look after ther car..or so the theory goes..the days of people selling ther first born for a scooby are gone..new editions..greeeeeyyyy imports..like no other time..YOU need to sell the car..not just wash and wait for the people to come to you...or do as i do..slag the hell out of imports and sing the praises of your own car...only good points..try and avoid outwright lies..good luck !!!
Old 30 January 2003, 12:02 AM
Carlos The Jackel
Scooby Regular

Wink

It seems cheap to me, the mods (depending what they are) will put people off. For my last car (fiesta turbo)i could get second hand mods cheap (chip £70) because lots of people de-mod them and sell them as std, which is what everyone wants. Id hang on and not go too cheap.
Old 30 January 2003, 12:07 AM
boultsy
Scooby Regular

its cos its a uk car
God have I been away from scoobynet that long

Yeh hang in there Dave.
Old 30 January 2003, 08:43 AM
Gridlock Mikey
Scooby Regular

Wink

I'm sure i bought a UK car because it was group 17 insurance and not 20 (Read "opportunity for insurance companies to invent your premiums") and on the road, I decided that 215bhp was plenty seeing as though i'd never had one before.

I gotta chuckle

It's cos it's a UK car

Not everyone needs to reel off stats in the pub to impress. Impreza is all i've ever said and people don't want to talk figures anymore they know it will out stat thier company whatevers.

Cosmetic mods will not put a serious buyer off if they are tasteful. If a buyer doesn't like your Spoiler, then for 7,800 quid he can buy the car, and then swap it for a low level one, If the sills and mirrors are colour coded, is that a bad thing? If it's decatted, he can goto a subaru garage and buy a standard system for about £30.
Pimp tint's are about the only mod i can think of that might make a buyer doubt the purchase. I have them but they are not too dark and if the car was not selling, it's not that much hassle to return to standard.
17 inch wheels, most scoobs have them and chances are your buyer will want them. If not, take 'em off, buy a set off of scoobynet for £100 and sell yours no problem.

Finally, what's this tosh about dealers not wanting or indeed not being able to shift uk cars Try ANY of the East Midlands dealers, they will take ya hands off and offer a half decent part x price if you feel that way inclined. Don't know about the rest of the country, but scoobs are still very desireable and "un-frowned upon" here in the Midlands

Mikey
Old 30 January 2003, 09:32 AM
jjones
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
main reasons

running costs
insurance
risk of theft
risk of being car jacked
modified car
they are now boy racer fodder
more choices of 4 door 200bhp+ cars out there now - these were relatively unique up until a few years ago
common - see more than you do maestros
general 2nd hand car market is not good - good deals on new cars - new cars cheaper than before etc etc

try advertising in top marques.

good luck

Old 30 January 2003, 09:35 AM
marty_t3
Scooby Regular

Well I put my 94 WRX wagon up for sale in autotrader on Monday and i've already got 3 folk wanting to come and see the car this weekend. My car has 17s, tints on the rear windows and an aftermarket backbox. Doesn't seem to have put too many people off. I even had a guy call up from Glasgow (200 miles away) asking about it.