ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

STi8 Test Drive & Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 27 January 2003, 08:22 PM
philgr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

I have confirmed my order for a STi8 with PPP for a 1st March from Stan Palmers of Carlisle

I had a good run out in the demo car and found it a totally different car to my Clasic Shape MY00 PPP, build quality has come on a very long way both inside and out, the new stering wheel is alot better then the larger Momo in my car,
The bonnet scoop is very large and i think will take some time to get use to, at speed there is quire aot of movement of the scoop which i found surprising, maybe this is down to the Aluminium bonnet, im not sure !!!, also alot of movement of the rear spoiler

The car is certainly alot more refined to drive, very smooth, the car seemed to pull very smoothly from 2k onwards and the 4k rev limit (set to run the car in) came in all to soon signaled with a chime and a red light on the rev counter .

The biggest surprise for me was that you could feel the diff's working when pushing it on roundabouts, i little un-nerving at first (it feels like the car is oversteering a little), and i can see this taking me a little time to get to grips with !

You can find the Pictures of the Demo car that i drove in the gallery section of my website here WCSR

For note this car is on its way down to prodrive this week for the PPP fitted, Ian has promised to let me know what its like, and i may just go back to the dealers for another run out in the car.

Big thanks to Ian ( X2WRX ) @ Stan Palmers,

Phil G
Old 28 January 2003, 08:48 AM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

nice pics

site is coming on well
Old 28 January 2003, 09:05 AM
BMWhere?
Scooby Senior

Received 229 Likes on 168 Posts
Cool

Mmmmm.... looks very nice!

I'm collecting my new STi8 tonight Roll on 4pm!!!
Old 28 January 2003, 09:32 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Phil,

Funny, you've said *just* what I said on driving an STI8 with PPP. It is an order of magnitude more refined, it feels like a "grown up" car compared to my MY00. Steering wheel is great, styling is wonderful. Re: the bonnet moving, every ally bonneted scoob I've driven did this.

Ride quality is good to excellent, which surprised me. Didn't really have a chance to throw it around, so didn't get the diff stuff but having thrown aruond an STI7, I guess it'll be more of the same.

The steering was a little light, but definitely "all there". My guess is that a geometry change would alter that into something that I preferred.

Power delivery came in at around 3k RPM seriously IIRC, then really started pushing and the 4k RPM limit was all too soon there. Damn.

The car is going to be a flying machine, no questions, and looks the dog's nadgers to me. Deeply jealous of anyone who has one

Cheers,
Nick.
Old 28 January 2003, 09:43 AM
MATTeL
Scooby Regular

Wink

It would be nice if Tom would stop grinning everytime he thinks of his car as well though!

Not only am I jealous but the quiet smile really rubs it in!
Old 28 January 2003, 09:55 AM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Cool

*grinning, whilst thinking of my PPP!!*
Old 28 January 2003, 09:56 AM
Boyakasha
Scooby Regular

Guys do you think puting on the PPP from the start makes a difference, and do the dealers fit this ?

Trending Topics

Old 28 January 2003, 10:01 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Tom,

I'll run the car in for you, you're obviously too busy to do it. In fact, I'm down to Milton Keynes again on Thursday that should just about see you over the 1k mark?

I'll even pay my own petrol... How fair is that? And, for community spirit, I'll write a fuller review of how the STI8 behaves at the limits. My generosity knows no bounds.

I'll be around to pick it up at 6:30 ish, or if you could arrange to drop it off (valeted) then that would be even better.

Cheers,
Nick.
Old 28 January 2003, 11:24 AM
Rum*
Scooby Regular

Smile

Chiark,

Not a bad idea that ... of course you'll have to write a truly thorough report tho??!!!

You best ring me to see about arranging to swap motors!!!

Rum*
Old 28 January 2003, 01:47 PM
DrEvil
Scooby Regular

Boyakasha - I haven't driven the STi8 without PPP, as it was Rum's I had a go in at the weekend.. its available from your local dealer for circa £2K, it will give you 306Bhp/299lbs torque... so YES, worth fitting as soon as possible.

Rum - you lucky lucky lucky lucky lucky... etc.. git!
Old 28 January 2003, 04:14 PM
philgr
Scooby Regular

Talking

A write-up of Steve Sherwin's thoughts have been added to the site.

http://www.wcsr.co.uk

Phil G