ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

NEW MEMBER--WANTING TO BUY A SCOOBY-

Search this Thread

Old 02 January 2003, 07:40 PM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink

sidc FAQ for good general info, but i take it from the fact yer lookin @ a type R means u already no sumin about the scooby
I think a fair summary wood b that the P1 is the most meaty UK scoob & the type R is the JDM (jap domestic market) equivilent both serious pieces of kit & i'm guna look 4 a type R in about 9 months (an upgrade on my current UK turbo 2000 ) type R & RA (race altered ) are more available across the hole age of the impreza & much more affordable probably a good un for 10k or so for the age u mention but a P1 yer lookin more like twice that! but they r both scweeeeeeeeeeet baby
Basic jist off top of me head
Si
PS yeah ok 22b is the ultimate UK &/or jap car with 2.2 ltr base engine & flared arches etc etc but that makes P1 look cheap lol

[Edited by scooby_si - 2/1/2003 7:41:33 PM]
Old 01 February 2003, 01:13 PM
BOY_RACER
Scooby Newbie

hi, am new in search of a scooby type r. i have previously had many performance cars including crx sir mk2, saxo vts mk1, starlet gt turbo, corrado g60 and now currently have a golf gttdi pd150 and i am wanting to sell this for a scooby type r the R reg ones.
i would like to no the difference between the P1 n type r including speed handleing engines and running costs. Is the p1 just a specail prodrive edition with extra goodies like bodykit or does it include a more powerfull engine???
thanks in advance
Old 02 February 2003, 11:18 AM
BOY_RACER
Scooby Newbie

is there n e one on the net who sells type r scoobs, i really want one as soon as i can find a minter, then i cans tart modifieying got £13000max to spend but i would perfer to spend less on the car so i can buy some extraz
Old 02 February 2003, 11:25 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

there's usually a couple on autotrader i no kuz i looked the other day
I no a m8 bought one from RogerClarkes motorsport not sure how many they get but they do no their stuff so can't hurt 2 call 'em & ask init
I've seen a fair few recently on scoobynet, eg: Fabulous example by the looks of it!
Good luck then m8y
Si
Old 02 February 2003, 11:25 AM
M0NEY
Scooby Regular

Import one yourself and you will get one for £13000 or cheaper
Old 02 February 2003, 11:27 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

PS type R scoob also has adjustable diff which the P1 doesn't so u can play with how much power goes to the rear wheels which can b fun but also risky i suppose if u dont no wot yer doing!
Si
Old 02 February 2003, 11:39 AM
Avi
Scooby Regular

Nice username

Trending Topics

Old 02 February 2003, 11:40 AM
scooby_si
Scooby Regular

Wink

Thanks i chose i myself lmao
Si
Old 02 February 2003, 12:35 PM
TonyBurns
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Buying a scoob is just the tip of the iceberg, running it is the biggest problem.
All classic shaped scoobs need 2 services per year, one intermediate (ie an oil change which if you havnt done one on a scoob i would take it to someone who knows what they are doing or you could have an expensive bill for an engine) and a major one.
Servicing costs for the intermediate can be around 90-100 quid, a major depending on which one it is, can be around the 500 quid mark, but on average your going to be looking at 300 quid.
Insurance is also the other big killer, age dependant and where you live affect this, alot of insurance co's want a tracking system fitted and there are even more insurance co's now only doing over 25 and over 30 cover.
If you are going to use a scoob as a daily driver then plan on over 8k per year for servicing, parts, insurance, fuel etc as it will cost you this much to keep the car on the road.... also super unleaded fuel is reccommended for Jap imports (plus octane booster) as these cars are mapped to run a higher ron fuel than their uk counterparts but saying that, a uk car runs better on 97 ron or higher fuel anyway.
With your budget though, you are possably looking at a JDM car or a uk turbo, the P1 will still be out of your price range (they can still pull around 19k) and JDM's are harder to insure.
If you have come from a hot hatch (which the name probably denotes) then you will be in for a little shock with the running costs (as stated before) so i would do my homework before committing myself to anything

Tony