ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

DOH! - 5th Gear Syncro has gone.

Search this Thread

Old 28 February 2000, 10:32 PM
Leon
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy

It happened last week but until I read some of the warranty related threads over the last couple of days I wasn't sure what the problem was.

I have a "third party warranty" for what it's worth. It's with a company called Warranty Holdings Ltd. - We're about to see if they're any good. I'll keep you posted on my progress / lack of progress.

Anyone know how much this is likely to cost me?

Gutted of Fleet
Old 28 February 2000, 10:34 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Leon,

sorry to hear the news. Is it a Type R by any chance - from Park Lane?

Did you come to the recent meet in Church Crookham? If not, get along next time.

By the way, if your service stamps are up to date, Warranty Holdings and James at Park Lane are pretty good.

Rannoch
Old 28 February 2000, 10:40 PM
Leon
Scooby Regular

It is a Type R but the original owner bought it from Car Imports Direct. The service book is up to date. (It hasn't done 10k miles yet).

I wasn't at the Churh Crookham meet.
I've only had the car since the end of November. When was it?

Old 28 February 2000, 11:19 PM
Ian Cook
Scooby Regular

If they tell you to take the car to a garage in the lee valley, Cheshunt or thereabouts, dont do it. One of the guys on the list had his car done by them, (sorry i cant remember their name or the complete location), he was told to take it there by warranty holdings, they put nearly 400 miles on it and stacked it up nicely for him. That was for a synchro problem as well
Old 29 February 2000, 09:09 AM
CB
Scooby Regular

Leon,

Had a similar problem with my STI. 4th and 5th Syncro's went as did third gear. Had a warranty holdings cover, took it to Graham Goode who fixed it. Warranty Holdings paid first £1000 (which was stated as max pay out). They did not quible as it was a mechanical failure rather then warn parts. Good luck.

If you want some good advice speak to Graham Goode as they are a distributor for STI in the UK and they won't be putting old parts in your car.

Good luck
Old 29 February 2000, 02:11 PM
MarkO
Scooby Regular

Leon,

Bad luck mate. Give Phil at Park Lane (01420 544300) a ring - they managed to get the parts for my STI very quickly and did a good job of repairing it. Not sure about the warranty, but it sounds like you might be alright from the other posts on here.

Cheers

Mark
Old 29 February 2000, 03:56 PM
Rog L
Scooby Newbie

Angry

WHAT EVER YOU DO , DO NOT LET WHA TELL YOU TO TAKE YOUR CAR TO A GARAGE IN WALTHAM CROSS. As mentioned above , i had a 5th gear problem , it took three weeks to get the job done , and then they (as above ) put 400 miles on my clock ...then smashed it up. I took my car there on the 6th Jan and still have not got it back.It had been a disaster from start to finish.I,m still trying to get compensation on this , but alas "it,s nobody,s fault" GGR told me they could have done the work in one week (and not trashed my pride and joy) GO THERE.

If you want more info Email me.

Thanks

Rog
Old 29 February 2000, 09:41 PM
Trout
Scooby Regular

Leon,

the most recent meeting was in January - there were at least twenty scoobs there in the George and Lobster - next time we'll have a daylight meet and see the cars as well.

Park Lane is the best bet - I am pretty sure they deal with Warranty Holdings and they have done quite a few Type Rs - Version Vs have the 5th gear synchro go from new

Make sure you make the next meet - probably late April

Cheers,

Rannoch
Old 29 February 2000, 09:48 PM
Leon
Scooby Regular

Thanks for the advice chaps.

I've been too busy to do anything about it yet. But I'll let you know the outcome ASAP.

Rannoch - Know the George and Lobster well (good grub, and Beer!)I'll be there in April.

I'm also thinking of going to Donnington on Sunday for a watch. Anyone else going from round here?