Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

IM & the Impreza's we get in the UK

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2003, 04:06 PM
PhilBennett
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just to follow on from a subject in another thread...

John - I think the situation we have with IM (which models from Japan we see in the UK) is totally under the control of the consumer, even to the point where they must enjoy the current confusion over a variety of issues - such as trackday use, warranty, servicing, parts supply, etc.

It wasn't very long ago where the only "fast" Impreza you could get from a dealer was a 2000 turbo and IM were not only actively discouraging people from buying Japanese WRX models, but refusing to provide any after service to these Subaru customers in terms of parts or service.

However as we have seen the popularity of the Jap spec car increase IM have re-branded the 2000 turbo a WRX and have via the STi and Prodrive brand tried to mop up those customers who would have brought Japanese cars.

IM seem to have been reasonably succesful in selling UK STi's despite a price premium over the Japanese version. Largely, in my view, by maintaining this air of confusion over servicing of Jap cars and also by playing up warranty issues. All of which matter to the consumer because most will always opt for the easier life and security of a dealer network when spending £20-25K.

The situation will never change whilst customers are prepared to fork out for the current UK cars. Without doubt if the supply of imported Jap cars increased enough then IM's tune would change and these cars would be welcomed officially.

As for the warranty situation - I don't know anymore than what was written particulary in EVO magazine where it was said trackday use would invalidate the warranty unless driven properly...how they determine properly, who knows.
Old 03 February 2003, 05:17 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

You do have to wonder why the US is to get the better version though. They dont even have any bends in the US

I presume what your saying is that if people stopped buying the UK models, and went with the imports, IM would have to do something about it?

DW

PS You been out for a beer with Phil Dean since the infamous Faking It
Old 03 February 2003, 05:46 PM
alcazar
Scooby Regular

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts
Angry

I have to say that it bites my butt what the Japs pay for their hot Imprezas, and what we have to pay to have IM import a lesser car officially.
What really sets my teeth on edge is to see that Honda can export a hotter, better specced Civic to Japan from Swindon FOR LESS THAN WE PAY FOR THE WARM VERSION HERE!
The Japanese don't refer to this as "Treasure Island" for nothing. GRRRRRRRRRR[img]images/smilies/mad.gif[/img]
Alcazar
Old 03 February 2003, 05:59 PM
Dream Weaver
Scooby Regular

I think imports in general are starting to become more respected of recent though.

I would have never bought one, just because of insurance costs, but i'm now considering chopping in my UK MR2 for an imported turbo version.

Insurance costs have come down, and local dealers are more keen to work on them because they know they can make money from them.

Not sure of Scoob dealers, but this is my general feeling from the market at the mo.

DW
Old 03 February 2003, 07:16 PM
Steve Whitehorn
Scooby Regular

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Smile

I don't understand people buying a UK car. The warrenty seems iffy and you don't get that much for your money.

Buy second hand jap every time. You don't get any history, so what, you get twice the car for less money. And there are always a few v good mechanics who can look after for it you for about 2/3 the labour cost and do a better job. It is only a load of bits bolted together at the end of the day, bit goes wrong buy another bit and put in on. It the same as people buying Goodyear F1s for £150 a corner when if you look hard enough you can get them for £85 - £100.

BUY JAP

Best wishes
Steve

Old 03 February 2003, 08:03 PM
kev93wrx
Scooby Regular

well said steve....Ive been running imports 4 about 3 years now and have seen the dealers attitudes change once they realize how much money they are losing.......imports rule
Old 03 February 2003, 08:30 PM
Butty
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IM may say that that they won't allow greys to be serviced in the UK but some enterprising dealers know their way around it if you ask.
Proud to say that I have a grey with a full UK Subaru history from 24,000 miles to its present 67,000 miles.
Why don't IM swallow their pride and say greys are OK?

Nick
Old 03 February 2003, 08:52 PM
bassoctopus
Scooby Regular

Just like Mitsubishi UK, importing grey themselves through their own dealer network.

On the subject of prices, we complain if the prices come down - £18999 for a bug eye - because it de-values our cars, so IM are never going to win. Personally I think that £18999 is the right price for the standard WRX, the build quality isn't great, and they are pretty basic (even with a/c). Great fun to drive though
Old 04 February 2003, 12:09 PM
pwebb
Scooby Regular

I think there are some folks confusing their own passion with the the aims of IM - they are driven by margin alone and the merits of the vehicle have zilch to do with it - if they think they can make as much money as possible on 'lesser' cars from FHI then that is what they will import.
Unfortunately for most enthusiasts, the average UK buyer is still a mug and will pay whatever he/she thinks is reasonable.
IM certainly use as much anti-grey propaganda as they think they can get away with to stop their market share being whittled away by importers - however they have had to respond to the shift in the market and bring in a few of their own sti models etc. to compensate.

Interestingly mitsubishi are now moving away from 'full strength' evos and are now concentrating on cheaper high-margin versions of the cedia more akin to the wrx than the sti - again a shame for the enthusiasts but more sense for the manufacturer/importer as they share far more standard components and can be produced really cheaply.

Those people that have had grey imports will rarely go back to 'official versions' since they soon realise that in terms of value for money, specification, cheap servicing and all round happiness greys beat official cars every time - if insurance was cheaper (another conspiracy but lets not go there)then evryone would be going down the grey route and prices of official cars would come tumbling down.
I think recent price cuts bear this out - though IM are obviously not hurting enough yet to come up with a truly good value deal - witness the sti impreza and liberty b4 in australia - both great cars at under £20k sterling - that had to hurt the grey importers a lot - If that happened here then the grey/official decision would be reversed in a lot of cases - meanwhile I will buy grey imports every time thanks.

Paul W

Old 04 February 2003, 12:54 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Fuel prices go up - blame the petrol companies
Car prices go up - blame the manufacturers

Sure they are making profits but just look how much the government makes on fuel and car tax and vat for basically doing nothing for motorists .

The VAT on a UK STi is £3622

The VAT on a UK WRX is £2878

Old 04 February 2003, 01:41 PM
CraigH
Scooby Regular

I've never been able to understand IMs policy on this.

When I first got the STI, the reason they wouldn't service it was because it "was a grey import and we don't have the correct equipment"

Then the P1 comes out - 95% same car - they still wouldn't service it:
"we can't touch that sir as it's a grey import. IM will remove our franchise if they do"
Me - "but the parts I need are identical to those on a P1."
" but it's not a P1 sir" Etc etc.

Now it's fair enough that IM wouldn't warrant a jap import, but all they're doing is removing a potentially lucrative source of servicing and parts for the dealers. So instead of their dealers getting a large chunk of this, other companies have started up to take advantage of IMs (imo) ridiculous policy. How many imported turbos are out there now? 20-30k?

Customer and dealers lose out. IM distance themselves due to irate owners and dealers. Makes no sense to me at all.
Old 04 February 2003, 01:55 PM
ids
Scooby Regular

I've had both Jap and UK. Currently they only benefit I have had out of getting at UK STi is Subaru Assistance (!!) and possibly a better insurance quote.

Yeh there is peice of mind with the 3 year warranty (main reason I got mine) but it now seems IM are being so difficult over things like Trackday use, Non IM approved parts and tuning they are alienating a load of their good customers.

(As for trackdays - I overhead a subaru rep @ Autosport telling potential customers that they are going to be doing "more trackdays with customers this year" so how the hell will their iffy warrenty policy stand up there)

Also I dont think the UK dealers are doing anyone a favor. How many of you can honestly say you get excellent service/attitude from your Subaru dealer. I can bet they are in a minority...

I must admit I think my STi 7 is great (not perfect still) but I dont think Ill ever buy another UK car again. Its about time IM got their act together and were a little more up-front and honest otherwise they will be back to selling 'faarmur giles' motors again.

IMHO

Ids
Old 04 February 2003, 03:36 PM
pcdude
Scooby Regular

no uk dealer likes imports , or wants to encourage them , its not just IM that think like this
Old 02 March 2003, 05:55 PM
PhilBennett
Scooby Regular

Hi DW - Yeah Phil Deane, what a strange bloke. Which reminds me of a thread I read today about a shunt and someone posted "learn how to drive, you're why I pay £1800 insurance" and then a few months later they rolled their motor!!! It's always good to stay humble as it stops you looking like a C U Next Tuesday.

Anyway re: IM. I'm staggered anyone is happy to do business with them. In fact their relationship with Subaru Japan looks a bit like the tail wagging the dog with the local importer rejecting Japanese cars. If you draw comparison with someone like Porsche their local importers have no issue with grey cars, of which there are few of anyway as the local importers give the customer what they want "officially".

I don't believe IM allow UK owners to fit STI parts without invalidating the warranty.

[Edited by PhilBennett - 2/3/2003 5:59:23 PM]