Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

UK WRX (03)v EURO WRX (03)

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2003, 07:34 PM
JITSU579
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My mate is contemplating buying a my03 wrx,the uk subaru dealer is telling him £20000,3yrs warranty and good resale value.He then told the dealer that he could buy a euro import of the identical spec to the uk car for £17000,the dealer admitted the spec was identical,but my mate was told that the 3yr warranty he was being offered was false and he would only get a 1yr warranty.What is the truth and are uk subaru dealers running scared?
Old 03 February 2003, 07:37 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

Question

I'd like to know what the skinny is on this too please..
Old 03 February 2003, 07:49 PM
JITSU579
Scooby Newbie

Explanation needed `Skinny` us up north talk a bit diffrent.
Old 03 February 2003, 07:50 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
i'm in the same boat.
Euro won't have alarm Doh.. big deal... Tesco ask for a tracker to be fitted anyway! lol

Beechdale Nottm told me that the Euro's will only have a one year warranty and the extra two years will be set up through another 'company' and probly not cover rhe same things as a UK warranty. ie.. uk will cover the same things in the first year all the way to the third.

what to do... i know rte sale they will be less being Euro.. but you bought it less!

Phil
Old 03 February 2003, 07:55 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

"skinny" as in "info"
Old 03 February 2003, 07:58 PM
chrome
Scooby Regular

Cool

we need an MY'03 Euro-Import FAQ !!!

anybody wanna step up to the plate?

ideally maybe I should post this on the Dealers forum?... will do that too..
Old 03 February 2003, 08:00 PM
DarkForce
Scooby Regular

I can tell you that if you buy a Euro Import from Holland, it comes with a 3 year pan european warranty. Not sure about if you buy from other countries though.

Chris

Trending Topics

Old 03 February 2003, 08:01 PM
Steve vRS
Scooby Regular

Talking

AFAIK, Euro law now states that the first two years of the warrenty are Pan-European The third year is covered by Subaru Benelux if the car is sourced from Belgium or Holland (which most are).

This only applies to EU cars though. Those from Malta or Cyprus have no Subaru warrenty.

Speak to Ian of Litchfield imports or David at Gibbsons of Brock.

Resale value may be a bit less and a IM Subaru dealer will not touch you or will be insulting with his valuation.

Also, of course the main dealer will always try and frighten you off buying a Euro car as he cannot justify the price differences!

Steve
Old 03 February 2003, 08:38 PM
knuckledragger
Scooby Regular

£17K for a Euro import? That's a rip off! Litchfield Imports is the place to start looking...
Old 03 February 2003, 08:49 PM
NicholasO
Scooby Regular

Lightbulb

Recently imported a MY02 'Bugeye', arrived in December. Sourced via Holland and has a three year Pan - European Warranty. Subaru UK have recognised as a UK spec'd import, although they have stated that Subaru Benelux have to eventually foot the bill on any claim's, and they will not be able to offer me an extention etc., etc.

However, all said and done, it is still a Subaru warranty on a UK spec'd car. I feel fairly confident that it's solid.

Attitudes towards Euro cars are changing for the better all the time, hopefuly by the time I come to sell there will be little or no difference.

Cheers
Nick
Old 03 February 2003, 09:10 PM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Wink

I'm not sure that they will change completely that quickly.

I imported a Leon Turbo in Mar 2001. I wanted to trade it in soon after for a WRXMy01, the dealers treated me like a leper.

Average guy in the street is going to listen to the horror stories and give it a wide berth too. Now don't get me wrong, there is absolutly nothing different about the import. Even recently I rang local dealer enquiring about MY03 and was told nothing till April. When i queried that people on here had already taken delivery, he stressed it must be an import and started ranting about no warranty different spec etc plainly lies.

I'm sticking with a UK car for the time being. After all its price to change that is relevant, and in theory that should be no different old UK to new UK compared with old EU to New EU.

You pays your money........
Old 03 February 2003, 10:37 PM
NicholasO
Scooby Regular

Question

MattW,

Did you get rid of the Leon in the end? Did you lose much cash?
Old 03 February 2003, 11:21 PM
ski
Scooby Regular

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All cars are imports at the end of the day.Euro cars are the same spec.
Old 03 February 2003, 11:35 PM
DarkForce
Scooby Regular

The price that has been given for Dutch MY03s has been the old (MY02) RHD price that Subaru NL have guaranteed for all cars ordered before the new price is released. This new price for RHD MY03s should be available any day now, and i'll be interested to see what it is.

I believe that the price for the top spec WRX LHD has actually dropped for the 2003 car, so who knows what might happen with the RHD price! *crosses fingers*

Chris
Old 04 February 2003, 07:56 AM
Daz WRX
Scooby Regular

Dealer is talking pants, as long as its an EU car you have a 3 year warranty.
Just dont lose the original dealers invoice or the certificate of conformity.

Prices have come down a touch but the on the road price with alarm fitted you are only talking a couple of hundred if that.

Litchfields are good value and when my import company is launched this month we will be looking to have similar prices. If you have any further questions feel free to mail me per profile.

Cheers
Daz

Old 04 February 2003, 08:44 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

All cars, AIUI, from 1st January 2003 have a 3 year pan-European warranty. This is factual, not FUD (Fear. Uncertainty. Doubt) from UK dealerships.

UK dealerships will take an EU spec as trade in, or at least my local one would; they gave me a value at the weekend.

The cars are mechanically the same, the alarm will be different (non-existent). Further to that, I doubt anything'll be different.

I run the importingimprezas mailing list at yahoogroups. Looks like it might be time to dust down the mailing list? Drop me a line if anyone's interested, as there's been no messages from the 300-odd subscribers in the last month or so

Cheers,
Nick.
Old 04 February 2003, 08:53 AM
MattW
Scooby Regular

Wink

Nick - Yes after 3 months. I liked it but wanted a scoob. When i bought the Leon my head ruled my heart, never listen to your head!!! Paid 12750 for it, sold for 10750. That was a 3 month old with 2000 miles on it. LOL