Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Thats the last time I'll shell out 25K for a car!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03 February 2003, 11:02 PM
Bonefish
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

I don't care how fast, reliable and fun a Scooby or any car is, who the hell can afford to drop 60% value in less than 4 years?
Seriously whats the point in buying new nowadays?
The next car is going to be 'sensible' 2nd hand job and driven into the ground.

I've even cancelled my Evo subsciption so I don't get tempted and start the 'If only - well maybe - Hmmmm yeah - Hell I'll be stupid NOT to buy it!' thought process.

Someone should start a performance car timeshare, minimum fee for 1 months ownership of decent cars.

A sad end to 3 years of otherwise fun and hassle-free Scooby ownership.

Bonefish

Old 03 February 2003, 11:26 PM
pcdude
Scooby Regular

I have a golden rule ,,,,,,,, never buy new ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

at least 2 -3 years old for me ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
Old 04 February 2003, 06:28 AM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
everyone knows you don't buy new.
only ppl who have new are the Jones and Company car owners lol
or them that like to loose 33k in the first year.
I feel for all those who bought STi7 at ££££££ and only got ££££ Px on a STi8

Phil
Old 04 February 2003, 06:38 AM
velohead66
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Second-hand Jap Imports, - no worries.

Not too old, mind !!
Don't want too many miles on the clock, or too many heavy footed owners !!
Old 04 February 2003, 07:12 AM
bugeye
Scooby Regular

Arter what subaru have done to all the STI7 onwers i`m no sure if i would buy another subaru.ford did it with the RS cars and look what it did for that brand.I know buying a new car is not all ways agood thing but some people just once would like to buy a brand new car.I`ve done it now and payed the price so never again,that subaru loss!!
Old 04 February 2003, 07:15 AM
urban
Scooby Regular

Phil

You say you feel for all those who bought STi7 at ££££££ and only got ££££ Px on a STi8.

Why would an STI7 owner want to Px for an STI8 - from what allo the reviews say, there is very little difference between the two cars.

I have an STI7, and there's no way in the world that I would even think about trading it in for tne new model.

Anyway, those STI7 or any others wanting an STI8 should really think about waiting to see whats round the corner, especially since seeing what the yanks got. I believe that it's only a matter of time before something similar makes it way to the UK - and I'm not just talking about the 2.5 engine, more so the DCCD.

Just my thoughs, thats all.

Shaun
(A happy STI7 owner - or nearly happy if only I coudl get my ******* suspension knocking noise cured)
Old 04 February 2003, 07:24 AM
Steve A
Scooby Regular

Who buys a car as an investment? Buying and owning a high performance car is more of an emotional thing. Anyway losing 60% over 4 years is nothing compared to losing 60% in 12 months if you had invested in the stock market this time last year.

Trending Topics

Old 04 February 2003, 07:35 AM
rb5 286
Scooby Regular

we bought a ford fiesta zetec S with all extras which would have retailed @ £12k last jan brand new but it cost us £8500 cos my bruv is a FMC employee

we were looking at trading it in for the scoob that we now have and offers were around £7k for a 4 month old car, even ford wouldnt offer us more then £7k

Its disgusting that we get ripped off like this in this country. import the sti 03 for around £16.5k and u've bought it at the depreciated value in a years time

We only bought it new cos of the massive discount.

the only time its worth buying new is when the dealers are trying to get rid of their pre registered cars because they are desperate. this is when u have them by the *****, u can strike up a massive bargain if u have the audacity to.

Old 04 February 2003, 07:41 AM
chiark
Scooby Regular

Import from the EU. I saved 7 grand. Apparently my car might be worth 1k less if I trade it in at a subaru dealer...

...and Subaru dealer tells me I'll get more privately?

Old 04 February 2003, 08:13 AM
Regacy
Scooby Regular

Wink

Didn't you go into it with your eyes open?
There are lots of depreciation figures around and they all say the same thing.
Fantastic car, but at a price.
There had to be a catch somewhere and this is it.
The reason is that a new, or nearly new Subaru is within most peoples reach so why compromise with an old one?
Where as if you hanker after something with a higher cost of entry, like an M3, you're forced into the second hand market there for pushing up the residual value of the car.
So take out another subscription but this time make it something like Autocar and spend lots more money!
r
Old 04 February 2003, 08:36 AM
mutant_matt
Scooby Regular

Talking

Like people have said,

you don't buy a car for an investment (well some do but that is usually at the other end of the market ) and presumably you entered into it with your eyes open?

Did you not enjoy owning and driving it? (as that is supposed to be the point!). The only way to minimise your losses on a new car is to import (like Chiark) said. I saved £8000 off the price off my 1st scoob and sold it 18 months later for only £1000 less than the UK equivalent.....

Matt

P.S. STi 7 owner - loving it and keeping it and not interested in the slower STi 8....
Old 04 February 2003, 09:15 AM
BlueBlood
Scooby Regular

Wink

Remember the 17.5% VAT, don't expect to get that back do U? (be great if you could)

I tend to buy new and keep it for 2.5 to 3 years, this means the dealers still give a good deal on the trade in. Also means I can take it back to the dealer and say "fix it and I'll have a loan car for the duration pse".

On the second hand side I know someone who paid £42k for his 993 and now would be lucky to get £27; just two years on. Not only scoobies that are going down in value.

good luck.

Old 04 February 2003, 10:48 AM
stanmo
Scooby Regular

Keep the car for longer ? There's nothing to be ashamed of, owning a 3yr+ old car.

If you like it, then fixing any bits that go wrong will still be cheaper than buying new.

Even if you needed a new engine and gearbox, this would be cheaper than the depreciation hit you'd take in the first year on a new one.
Old 04 February 2003, 12:20 PM
jfrf
Scooby Regular

Cool

u can still get a new subaru for 16500, which is a bargain.
over 3 years you would probably lose only 30% which isnt bad
Old 04 February 2003, 12:35 PM
juan
Scooby Regular

Surely everyone knows you drop a absolute shedload on most new cars as soon as you drive them out of the showroom.

If you can't take the hit then the simple answer is don't buy a new car????
Old 04 February 2003, 12:54 PM
Steve777
Scooby Senior

Angry

only ppl who have new are the Jones and Company car owners
What about people that have no other outgoings

I am buying a new one as I have no mortage or outgoings with kids etc

And lets face it those with Mortgages are loosing a lot more money in ineterest payments than I am on a new car

We don't consider house buying a rip off do we ? and it is in this country

Old 04 February 2003, 12:59 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

It's not just a Subaru thing either. Most cars lose 50% after 3 years.

Don't forget either that you have the bonus of knowing that your 4 year old car has only been owned by you. Sure, you could have bought 2nd hand and saved, but then there's the worry of not knowing what the cars been through. Also, driving that brand new motor out of the showroom, with brand new plates, that must be worth something.

If I could afford it, I'd prob do it.
Old 04 February 2003, 01:04 PM
Stephen Read
Scooby Regular

BlueBlood,

Don't know where you get the notion that you lose the VAT ?

The fact that VAT was paid by the first owner is irrelevant. The value of used cars is pure supply and demand. End of story.

P.S I have read elsewhere that the 993 is one of the few cars that has maintained it's value and even seen some rises over the past year - assuming mileage stays under control and condition stays A1 etc....

JMHO
Old 04 February 2003, 01:18 PM
dominicm
Scooby Regular

I've always avoided buying new, I drive a Jaguar XJR which I paid 20K for when it was 2.5 years old. It cost 55K new and I have extended the manufactors warr. for another 2 years for 1.2K so I have full cover.

Why buy new!!!!!

Dom.
Old 04 February 2003, 01:22 PM
58GT
Scooby Regular

My neighbour showed me his brand new Mondeo yesterday and he's happy as a pig in crap. I didn't like to mention the depreciation thingy....

Only way it makes sense is if you can write it off your tax bill. Even then you have to be careful when you sell it or they'll want some back.

My Forester turbo is 2 years old, clean, fsh, lowish miles and I paid less than half what it cost new. I'm happy.
Old 04 February 2003, 02:55 PM
Bonefish
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy

I guess I was kidding myself when I bought it in the heady days when Scoobies had residual value

However you still expect your treasured pride and joy to have some value after 3 years..don't you?
Unfortunately I have to sell it. Still someone is going to get a bargain.

sob,sob ....We had joy we had fun, we had seasons in the sun..

All together now!

Bonefish
Old 04 February 2003, 02:59 PM
XT
Scooby Regular

Wink

That's why i only buy 8+ year old cars....
If anyone wants a bargain, contact me. Any car, any prce range, any spec. It just has to be more 8 years old.
Old 04 February 2003, 03:51 PM
dominicm
Scooby Regular

I got to admit the reason behind buying my 1995 RA is that it will hopefully not lose to much money over the next 12 months! I so nearly brought a STI6 type R, but I just imagined how much I would lose!

Dom.
Old 04 February 2003, 04:08 PM
Eldar
Scooby Regular

The alternative is don't buy new, contract hire instead. They you know exactly how much running the car will cost. If residuals collapse, you get the chance to buy the car at the end of the contract at collapsed price, or get another new one.

Colin.
Old 04 February 2003, 05:52 PM
stevebt
Scooby Regular

Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts
i was going to buy new this year but have changed my mind and im going to put some of the money towards a private plate. new imprezas from the EU are only about £16k so you cant loose that much money on those
Old 04 February 2003, 08:04 PM
Andy-pay
Scooby Regular

simple rule here - buy new if you want the privelige of being the new owner, (if you can afford it), knowing all the history of your car etc, BUT expect to loose some money whilst enjoying the privelige!

I dont see how anyone doesnt expect to loose money on any car - new or used - just depends on how much you can afford to/want to loose really.

with regards to the prevoius thread about houses/mortgages - the difference wiht a mortgage and a car loan is that houses generally go up in value, over a long term - cars nearly always go down.
my cars have lost me 13grand over the last 6 years, my house has increased over 100grand in the same time.
Old 04 February 2003, 09:09 PM
Bonefish
Scooby Newbie

Question

Elgar, I still don't understand the appeal of contract hire. Aren't you effectively buying the car over 3 years and then get an option to buy the car at the end of that term? Seems so expensive £500+ a month etc.

Bonefish
Old 04 February 2003, 10:15 PM
CLSII
Scooby Regular

EU is the way to go despite the so called horror stories. I bought a new MY00 and for reasons too complex to go into here sold after 12 months.

The car needed 2 new tyres and its 12 month service. I was gutted to see it go at £14000 but only lost £1200 which is the cheapest car I have ever owned bar none.

MY05 Here I come ....maybe by then I'll be able to pay the same in the UK
Old 04 February 2003, 10:29 PM
salsa-king
Scooby Senior

Received 42 Likes on 26 Posts
did you read the artical in the Mail on Sunday the other week about £76k BMW 740's after 12months being offered £45k PX etc
thats a lot of money to loooooooossssseeeee.

House's!?
I hould a Studio Appartment in Nottm.. just coming up to 2.5 years ago...paid £13,400!!! yes just over £13k
had it valued last November £35k
last week one vertually the same was in the Poperty Guid for £45k!!
thats almost a 350% increase.
and they say avrage house prices have gone up 27% over the last year.

wish cars lost only a little of ther 40%

Phil
Old 04 February 2003, 10:33 PM
dariogatso
Scooby Regular

Cool

as someone who made the mistake of buying not just one..but two rovers..the feeling ill as you get offered a crap trade in is not news to me..i do get your point.,..we buy and expect to loose..but i dont expect to get my ***** felt as well...subaru/market/US...who's to blame for the change of model so soon..as for who's buying the new model..who knows..sti7 owners cant afford the trade in price..classic owners with cars 3-5 years old dont seem to see it as sufficently improved a car to trade in..catch word seems to be WAIT AND SEE...2.5 / u.s spec / 3.0 / 2dr..maybe round the corner..or not..you pay's your money!!!..look on the bright side...not as if you own a HONDA..

Quick Reply: Thats the last time I'll shell out 25K for a car!!!