ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

To scoob or not ot scoob?

Search this Thread

Old 04 February 2003, 12:08 PM
flish
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Ok, in about 3 months time I'm gonna have about £6000 cash to spend and am torn between two cars, a Scoob and a Celica GT of about the same age.

To be honest the Celica was the winner up until recently when £5000 was my max, but can step up the extra grand and it looks like a lot more options open up to me, albeit it most of them WRX's which I understand are all imports. Now my heart is set on a Scoob, but a bit wary about imports, mainly in terms of history and Insurance. I'm 27 but will only have 1 yr NCB and looks like DirectLine will want £2300 + tracker. £2000 or so I can afford, but much more and Tracker fitting / costs I think is going too far.

I'm based up in the North East, Stockton, so am wanting to know of any recommendations for servicing, importers etc as nearest main dealer is a good hour away down the A1 AFAIK.

As to the car itself, are there massive spec differences between WRX and UK Turbo at that price range?, I'm guessing a 1994'ish model and seen a range of new to UK and private sales with between 39 - 95K miles on the clock (Mainly via autotrader website).

So, am I doing right? Or is 6000 not enough to find a safe bet, the mileage difference for cars within a grand of each other also seems strange, and finally are there any UK Turbo 4Door cars on the market, cos I can't find the buggers!

Any pointers, advice, 'watch fors' gladly received.
Old 04 February 2003, 12:33 PM
SlowBoy
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not an expert on 2nd hand Scoobs in your price range so don't know what you should be looking for in terms of age/milage. Of course there will be a wide range of prices for similar cars, and a variety of different specs for the same price - some sellers are more optimistic than others.

I would sugggest you shop around for insurance. Use the search facility to dig up some recommendations from users on here as this will prove a useful resource. You should certainly be getting quotes from people like Greenlight, Andrian Flux, Tesco, Liverpool Victoria, etc. These companies usually offer competetive quotes. Don't forget the usual variables of excess and security devices as the extent of these can have a bearing on the premium. Not all firms require trackers, while some will insist on it. Surprisingly, having one doesn't always guarantee the cheapest premium.

The other thing is do some homework on running costs. This may affect your choice of car, as there can be a big difference in running costs of cars which cost the same to buy.

Check out the SIDC website for info on the scoobs.

Finally, I highly recommend a scooby Surprise, surprise.
Old 04 February 2003, 12:42 PM
HELLOM8
Scooby Regular

The 2nd hand market for Impreza's has been pretty good for buyers recently. Seems to be slowing down a little, perhaps people are just keeping hold of thier cars for the time being. Have a look in the for sale section on this site.
Old 04 February 2003, 12:44 PM
flish
Scooby Newbie

Already waiting for a quote back from Adrian Flux, just been trying the online stuff as opposed to phoning round, for now.

Running costs I've looked at, and prepared for, ie tyres, 6 monthly services etc and consider a necessary evil. Although finding someone competent to do it may proove more challenging.

Availability in my price range seems almost geared to a WRX, so trying to find detailed specs. Looked at SIDC, and as far as I can tell the 'standard' WRX from aroun 94-95 is a 276 bhp as opposed to the UK being a touch over 200, is that right or did I misread?

The looks and performance of a Scob far outway the Celica IMO, just never thought would be in my price range. Apparently it might be, I guess more research will tell.

Old 04 February 2003, 12:46 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Easily the best car out of the 17 I've owned but......just to balance the argument, have a look at this before you spend your dosh

http://www.scoobynet.co.uk/bbs/threa...hreadid=169618
Old 04 February 2003, 12:58 PM
flish
Scooby Newbie

Unhappy

Yeah, read that this morning, food for thought. But then if I took all that to heart I'd be running round in an old banger...

..wait a second, I already am :-(
Old 04 February 2003, 01:01 PM
SiPie
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Flish

Yeah, know what you mean and I'm going to carry on regardless (if I ever get it back )

But.... from the sounds of your post you are on a tight budget and wouldn't want you to be shafted with a bill that could mean sale of car for a big loss

Si

Trending Topics

Old 04 February 2003, 01:11 PM
flish
Scooby Newbie

It's a tight budget in the sense that I'll have that much cash for the car in 3 months time when I have to buy.

Month by month the Insurance, servicing etc are not a problem, and yes I could wait longer and save more, but I'll *have* to buy a car at beginning of May.

If worst comes to the worst I can probably rob my tax man pot for another 1500 or so if I find the right car, but I'd rather not.

If all fails I can probably pick up a cracking little 2.0 Ford Focus for £7k and still save a whack on Insurance, trouble is I don't want to :-(