Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

STi Should I????

Search this Thread

Old 09 February 2003, 09:16 AM
Cupraman
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi chaps, now before I start let me give you some background. I actually own www.seatcupra.net and drive a Leon Cupra. Now, its time for me to get a new car so I had my heart set on an R32. Great looking and sounding car by all accounts but you cant get one for love nor money.

So I trundelled around yesterday and pulled into a Subaru garage. Now, I have always hated them, thought them to be cheap looking plasticy and generally not my cup of tea.

The salesman asked me what my budget was and them led me into the workshop. As we stepped in Angels started playing harp music and my bottom jaw dropped. I dunno why, I hate Subaru's after all, but something happned. The WRX STi had won me over , id not even driven it yet, the build quality was superb and I hate to say it, maybe better than the Leon, it certainly felt more sturdy, I started it up, sound lovely, and I have a test drive next week.

Its like a new girlfriend, I cant get it out of my head.

However, I am looking for obsticals to throw in its way. But I really cant think of any reason (Apart from emmisions) why I would want a CupraR or an R32 if I could have this car.

Your comments would be welcome. also see this thread on my site http://www.seatcupra.net/forums/showthread.php?s=eb2005c00299df5c5f7455ac65ef22cb& threadid=13579
Old 09 February 2003, 09:32 AM
Neil Smalley
Scooby Senior

Umm Ummm Ummm Can't think of any, buy the STI

Seriously, check insurance, fuel costs and servicing prices before you buy. The Sti is an expensive car per mile, but what a mile!!
Old 09 February 2003, 09:51 AM
Cupraman
Scooby Regular

Yeah, Its a company car so only Fuel costs and Emissions really worry me. Fuel costs not so much as the emissions.
Old 09 February 2003, 10:19 AM
scoobycar60
Scooby Regular

I had a leon cupra for a while, good car, but not in the same league as the new STI, Neil is right though, if you drive them enthusiastically they drink optimax at an amazing rate.

Dial in the cost of brakes tyres and PPP that really helps the car along add a decent ICE (Standard Leon Cupra system was great Scooby one is utter rubbish in comparison IMHO) and the costs rise!
Normal driving (work and back mixed roads) I got about 28mpg out of the leon, same journey in my sti7 ppp 20mpg.Wouldn't go back though. New golf is more cruiser than bruiser in the performance stakes by all accounts, toO heavy to be nimble enough to have fun in more BMW/AUDI market than anything IMHO.
Old 09 February 2003, 10:22 AM
Cupraman
Scooby Regular

Yeah, I hear ya. Im not worrying about what it costs to run at all, Radio, well, not that bothered, not into ICE in any way shape or form, as long as the Radio is and speakers are good enough for me to to listen too.

I really cant wait for Friday now to drive it.
Old 09 February 2003, 11:14 AM
ImpIII
Scooby Regular

Cupraman, I went through the same thing as you at the beginning of January, now driving around in a STI8. It's been a fun week running it in but boy it's been worth it.....

For background I had a 4motion and like yourself thought about (wanted) a R32 but I never seemed to have much luck with VW delears even though my last 3 cars have been VW. Went into 2 different Subaru garages, first one not much help, second in Chelmsford completely different. Went to just look, within 15mins I was out in a test drive and 24hrs I'd placed an order.

Do I miss the 4motion or not getting the R32, not one bit.
Old 09 February 2003, 11:23 AM
wacky.banana
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cupraman,

I strongly advise you to take several test drives over differing road condiions ie mix & match in shopping trolley mode, then racer mode, then blat on country roads, etc, before you make up your mind. The STi is quite a different beast from the Leon and takes some getting used to.

Lots of people have complained about the hard ride, for example, after just ONE test drive (wusses, the lot of them). When you get to know the car better you begin to appreciate that the rides is not hard, simply appropriate for what the car was designed to do.

As others have said, this is not a cheap car to run and can attract unwanted attention. That said it has not stopped me from owning one.

What do I think? Honest opinion, without bias, an absolutely brilliant car.

If you buy, then enjoy it.

Trending Topics

Old 09 February 2003, 02:30 PM
Cupraman
Scooby Regular

I think my minds pretty much made up. Although I do need to drive it.

One of my main gripes with 2WD is that everytime I try to open the Leon up on hilly twisty roads the wheels dont stop spinning.
Old 09 February 2003, 02:52 PM
chrisp
Scooby Regular

Cool

Cupraman drive one if if you arent ready to sign then its not the car for you. You either love or hate them. If you are in between then the running costs will mean you will grow to hate it. Mine costs a fortune to run per mile (as its basically a weekend car now). I have thought long and hard about selling it but I drive it again and realize why I want to keep it.

They arent the best cars on the road (no matter what onwers to tell you) they do have faults but are good value for money and have the ability to turn grown men into giggling idiots .
Old 09 February 2003, 03:02 PM
Chins
Scooby Regular

Red face

I strongly advise you to take several test drives over differing road condiions ie mix & match in shopping trolley mode, then racer mode, then blat on country roads, etc, before you make up your mind. The STi is quite a different beast from the Leon and takes some getting used to.

Lots of people have complained about the hard ride, for example, after just ONE test drive (wusses, the lot of them). When you get to know the car better you begin to appreciate that the rides is not hard, simply appropriate for what the car was designed to do.
All the cars you are looking at have a reasonably hard ride. Certainly the STI is no worse than the Cupra R.

You really need to list your priorities when it comes the car. If all you care about is acceleration and good handling and are not worried about residuals/running costs, then the STI would be a great move. If nothing else than to have something different to the Seat. Then at least you'll always be able to say youve owned one.

Its a pity you cant find "the ultimate hot hatch" anywhere. But at least it seems VAG are upping the anti with the R32, so at least when your finished with the STI, you'll have plenty of Scooby eating VAG cars to choose from. Who knows a 4wd, 350bhp Leon cupra R.

What I would say with the STI is that in std form is its slower to get on boost than my boss is giving me a pay rise. It REALLY needs the PPP to be fun. The alloys also have the quality usually associated with 3rd world manufacture, so save for the 18" OZ wheels to sort out the car.

Have fun on the test drive.

Jonathan

Old 09 February 2003, 04:59 PM
Phil Harrison
Scooby Regular

Endorse what Chins has to say....... get the PPP. You'll find the STi is good, and the PPP transforms it for the (even) better

Phil
Old 09 February 2003, 05:29 PM
Cupraman
Scooby Regular

Cant afford it 25K is as high as i can go.
Old 09 February 2003, 05:43 PM
Gez
Scooby Regular

Go for the STI i say! I use to own a Seat 1.8 20 V turbo Cupra R! I tuned it to 230bhp and yes it was Very fast. I then had a go in a friends sti 5 type r and i was blown away by the power and torque of the machine. There is absolutely NO compromise. If you think the scoob is plasticy, get into a Mitsubishi Evo! Its the pits.
My biggest mistake was selling my Sti 6 type V-ltd.

Gez
Old 02 September 2003, 06:13 PM
gareth60
Scooby Regular

Talking

I love my Sti, particually in PPP form.

I am a huge fan of VW / Audi and if in three years time I want to change my car and i'm a little strapped for cash because of my forthcoming family, the Leon will be at top of my list

Cupra forum clickable Curpa

[Edited by gareth60 - 2/9/2003 6:47:45 PM]