ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

FTO or Subaru Sport

Search this Thread

Old 10 February 2003, 10:31 AM
babaBlackSheep
Scooby Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,

In a few months I am going to be upgrading from a shed on wheels to an FTO. Various people have been saying to get a Subaru Sport rather than an FTO. Personally I prefer the looks and quite fancy the MIVEC engine in the FTO but again get comments like, "The scooby Sport would be a better buy....". Can anyone shed any light on why/if the Sport would be better than the FTO? Bare in mind it will take some persuading as I am set on my FTO....

Thanks In Advance.
Old 10 February 2003, 11:27 AM
ScoobyDoo555
Scooby Regular

we had this topic last week (only with a GTi-r). If you've got your heart set on the FTO, no amount of convincing is going to change it.

However, by posting this on a Subaru-biased website, you're opening yourself up to alot of criticism and p1ss-taking. Not from me though. You buy what you want mate. I'm sure you'll be very happy.

However, if you want a comparison, well, here goes (IMHO) :-

the FTO is Front wheel drive - Scooby is AWD.
both are 2Litre, although both can be Turbos..... BUT not the sport.
Insurance will probably be roughly the same - bearing in mind the FTO is an import.

Running costs - the Scoob is a demon, although the Sport is better than the Turbo.....

Scoob is 4dr

Hope this helps,

Dan
Old 10 February 2003, 12:12 PM
58GT
Scooby Regular

I have owned an FTO. With lower springs, no cat sports exhaust and filter I liked it a lot. It was totally reliable and was easily the best handling front wheel drive car I've ever driven with the amusing habit of sliding the rear tyres before the fronts under power on a wet roundabout.

Now I own a Subaru. I suppose the FTO made sense then (five years ago) and now it doesn't. For me. It was certainly a car that polarised people's opinions though. Many many people hated it. I suspect it's looks prevented people from seeing that underneath was a sound design. I liked the tiptronic box which is now the 'next big thing' even though that car had it seven years ago, I liked the handling and I liked the sound of the V6 at 8000 rpm.

BTW there's no turbo FTO. Well not standard.
Old 10 February 2003, 12:21 PM
hairydog
Scooby Newbie

I have owned a Sport for just under two years. I really enjoy driving it, not hugely powerful but nice on country roads.

Don't find the running costs too bad - though I dont go through a main dealer.

Get about 28mpg, major serv + MOT £250, minor + MOT £70. Insurance £550.

You would prob find an FTO being sportier than a sport though.

I spent ages looking for the right car, and so far its been well worth it.

Enjoy what ever you get mate

Rich
Old 10 February 2003, 12:54 PM
ice man
Scooby Regular

Major service = 250!!!!
My last major service 30k was 450 quid
Old 10 February 2003, 04:04 PM
clarence
Scooby Regular

AFAIK, the FTO is the 1st car in the world to have 5-speed automatic in a transverse engine config.
Old 10 February 2003, 04:40 PM
CataIunya
Scooby Regular

Nice vehicle FTO's came this close to buying one, but steer clear of the tiptronic boxes as they are auto boxes which you can also choose when to change gear. They are not like the porsche one's etc that are based on a manual box.
Old 10 February 2003, 05:54 PM
chockymonster
Scooby Regular

I used to have an FTO GPX manual.
Most on here will not beleive you when you say that a manual gpx is as quick as a uk spec turbo.
The first gear in an fto is too long, but once it is moving, there is not a lot in it. They handle amazingly, best fwd coupe after the teg r. They look lovely, you either like the rear end or you hate it.
The Mivec is a waste of time, personally if I was going back, I'd find a GR manual, easier to maintain, just as quick.
I pulled a 14.8 at santapod, 0-60 in 6.2, insurance is a killer, but it is worth it!
Old 10 February 2003, 06:20 PM
p1bobsta
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

I have to chip in here as an ex-FTO owner who now owns a P1. I still get to drive the FTO as my girlfriend now owns it and I absolutely love it! The P1's great - fast - grippy - you all know the score.. but the FTO is an amazing car for the money. Get a manual if you can find one (getting quite rare now)... don't expect to be able to tune it much at all - induction kit and exhaust and leave it at that. Enjoy the amazing looks, handling and awesome V6 exhaust. As Chocky says, insurance can be quite harsh (my P1 only costs 10% more to insure yet is worth over 3 times as much)... but it's a geniune 2+2 seater - you can even get baby seats in the back... and the boot's pretty sizeable too.

I certainly wouldn't even consider a Scoob if it didn't do 0.60 sub 6 seconds. Not when there are nicer sounding and looking cars like the FTO around.
Old 10 February 2003, 07:12 PM
MattN
Scooby Regular

my vote goes to the FTO

Old 02 October 2003, 04:36 PM
crawf8
Scooby Regular

I use to own a sport, it was a nice car but a bit tame. An FTO has about 190bhp were as a sport has about 120bhp. A friend of mine has an FTO and I would have that over a sport any day, check it out FTO. FTO's aren't as fast as Impreza turbos but they will leave a Sport standing.

Cheers,
Crawford.

Forgot to say on the downside, the autobox in the FTO makes the exhaust sounds like Bully from Bullseye! "Great, smashin', super!"

[Edited by crawf8 - 2/10/2003 4:40:21 PM]