Notices
ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Which One ?

Search this Thread

Old 18 February 2003, 03:25 PM
andyr
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, it's always going to be a personal decision but I'd appreciate some input from those who know !
I've looked at Impreza's off and similar (GTI-R's, Lancia Evo's etc) for 2 or 3 or more years and have returned again thoughts of buying an Impreza.
Imports don't scare me off although there are obvious problems especially the additional insurance premium they carry although really they shouldn't.
Had a blast in the passenger seat of a wrx at JVS in Loanhead nr Edinburgh with a few mods (seem decent blokes) yesterday ('demo' car possibly had an sti motor)and it was absolutely stunning. Mega quick and even more mega on the brakes (£2000 of AP racing setup !).
So I may take the plunge and get a car imported for me - query is what do I go for.
I don't plan to run up and down the country on motorways but I also don't plan on doing any track days either so is a WRX the best option or would an sti / ra / sti ra still be as easy to live with as well as the extra power adding to the fun. What is the difference in cruising on motorways with the lower ratio boxes in these 'sportier' models. Are they a pain due to higher revs or is 75 - 80-mph very bearable.
Car would be a day to day runabout as well as a fun toy and I'd only use it a couple of times during the week (cycle to work the other days) plus use it a little at the weekends with possibly the occasional slightly longer trip (150 mile round trip) when I go bicycle racing.

Care to give your ideas ?

Oh, budget will only stretch to £7500 really - JVS have just sold a couple of early WRX's inc an RA well under this so it does seem a reasonable price limit.

Ta in advance.

[Edited by andyr - 2/18/2003 3:26:33 PM]
Old 18 February 2003, 03:45 PM
andyr
Scooby Regular

Just to add - I don't plan to travel hundreds of miles ot find the car of my dreams but will travel a bit - any recommendations for importers that I might contact ?
Old 18 February 2003, 05:16 PM
Adam B
Scooby Regular

Thumbs up

Hi Andy

Hmmm, your going to get a whole heap of opinions on this one

I have a modified RA and it's fantastic IMO.

When I told people what I was getting, pretty much everybody said it would be too harsh/loud/short geared/poorly specced etc .... but it really isn't.

Problem is there are a a dizzying number of models and factory options (available in Japan) so my best advice would be to take a test drive/ride in some of the different types and make up your own mind.

Cheers

Adam

[Edited by Adam B - 2/18/2003 5:18:06 PM]
Old 18 February 2003, 05:28 PM
stiscooby
Scooby Regular

I have a STI V5 Type R. It's great and they go like stink!!

About twice a month, on weekends, I do a round trip of about 220 miles, sitting around 4000rpm doing about 85Mph. 90Mph is about 4400rpm. It has Scoobysport Back box, down pipe, mid section etc but I dont find it too loud/noisy either.

Dont think you will find a Type R for the sort of money your looking at though.......mine is a MY99 and cost me 13.5K just over a year ago. If you could afford it I would go for the Type R with out a doubt, the acceleration is fantastic
Old 19 February 2003, 10:05 AM
andyr
Scooby Regular

Any other thoughts from people that either have owned the RA / STI varients or considered it but went down the std WRX route due to perceived / actual problems with these models ?
Old 19 February 2003, 10:40 AM
Brendan Hughes
Scooby Regular

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
If you go bike racing, you might consider a wagon with an engine upgrade of sorts, for practicality as well as fun. You can get STI wagons, but they are quite rare and I don't think you will get one for that money.
Old 19 February 2003, 10:41 AM
andyr
Scooby Regular

Not so keen on the wagon shape personally and yes, they are rarer and I haven't seen many at this end of the price range. Good tip tho'