ScoobyNet General General Subaru Discussion

Would you believe it!

Search this Thread

Old 01 March 2000, 10:29 PM
IainT
Scooby Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Of all the luck, I've not had the car 12 hours and come across a gritter lorry in the middle lane of the M4. Had to get past as it was doing 45 mph but in doing so was pelted by huge chunks of road salt!
Got home and inspected it and there's at least 6 large stone chips on the bonnet alone! I dread what daylight will bring
I'm thinking of ringing the highways agency in the morning to complain, anyone reckon if that'll do any good? I'm gutted.
Old 01 March 2000, 10:32 PM
ChrisB

Ah - the mobile shot blaster has got you too.

I'd be interested to see what happens if you complain.

Chris.
Old 01 March 2000, 10:37 PM
Mossman
Scooby Regular

Angry

I know the feeling. Was attcked twice by the mobile shotgun machine and chips on one side were apparent in the morning.
I would complain. They are a bloody nightmare!
Old 01 March 2000, 10:47 PM
RobMac
Scooby Regular

Talking

Yoy didn't HAVE to pass it...
Old 01 March 2000, 11:05 PM
DJB
Scooby Regular

I always cringe when I see the b******s coming (towards my car). I slow down and pull in as far over as I can.

I think the problem is that these lorries drive too fast resulting in the grit chips being propelled at considerable speed.

D.
Old 01 March 2000, 11:26 PM
RON
Scooby Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs down

I got my car today and I too have been past a bl**dy gritter, he was going the other way and I had no chance to get out of the way.
Damn.
I just hope that when I look at it in the morning I've escaped lightly.
Ron.
Old 02 March 2000, 01:40 PM
RichB
Scooby Regular

My Dad is currently complaining to a certain council about this very same thing. He was gritted by an oncoming lorry and the front of his T reg prelude was peppered. Apparently the lorries are supposed to only grit one lane but they modify them so the stuff sprays across both lanes. He has now written letters to the council demanding compensation and copied the letter to Honest John from the Telegraph or Times. HJ replied and said he would be publishing the outcome.
At the moment they are still refusing to pay up for any damage. Estimates were 600-800 quid.
They won't give in too easily.
I'll let you know if they pay up but don't hold your breath!
Old 02 March 2000, 03:08 PM
Fullonloon
Scooby Regular

Came accross one in the evening down the M1 or or M6 I don't recall, but I just thought sod it- and blasted through it in the out side lane- I have never cringed so much hearing/seeing the salt crash off my bonnet. About 6 chips I got, can you prove that the chips came from they lorry? no... will it get you anywhere? I doubt it. Just slow down and hang way way back till it runs out of grit- then carry on...
Old 02 March 2000, 05:36 PM
JohnS

Exclamation

Up here in Scotland, gritters are a common sight in winter. It's much preferable to get a few small chips in your paint, than to slide off an untreated road and smash your car, or event to end up in a multiple car pile-up.

Best advice if you come across a gritter up ahead, is simply to hang well back. Will it really matter if you are 10 - 15 minutes late ?

If you really must get past, then you run the risk of getting salt & sand blasted into the front of your car, and you alone have that decision to take, and if your car gets damaged, then it's your own fault!

If you see a gritter coming towards you on a single carriageway road, then slow down or stop, and pull as far over as you can, mounting the verge/kerb if possible necessary.

Unfortunately, to win in any of these cases, you have to prove that the council have actually been negligent. This will be very difficult, if not impossible, as they have a duty to maintain the roads and keep them clear and will be out with gritters.
Old 02 March 2000, 06:06 PM
RussP
Scooby Regular

I don't see how anybody can try and justify the fact that just driving down the road will reslut in damage to your car by a mobile shot blaster... i collected a large number of chips to the side of my golf a couple of years ago, and no, compensation was not forthcoming.

I'd heard they mod the things to spray it everywhere, that way they only have to drive down the road once.

Make it a test case and sue the Bu99ers!

Old 02 March 2000, 06:23 PM
IainT
Scooby Regular

Angry

Eventually got through to the right dept this morning after being transfered 5 times.
The woman in charge was most sympathetic NOT and said that you not supposed to overtake gritters by law. Where does it say that??!
Anyway she said to send in details and she'll compare tachos of the said lorry and check that the 10mm mesh gaurd was in place etc etc but don't hold my breath because no one has ever been compensated before!
Imagine the queues if no one overtook a gritter in the middle motorway lane doing 40mph! I've done it before in other cars and had no problem, I gueuss this is just a bitter lesson on how c##p Subaru paint is.
Now where did I put that touch up paint?
Old 03 March 2000, 09:02 AM
Scottie
Scooby Regular

Unhappy

Also being from Scotland, I have to agree with JohnS in that you take your chance if passing a gritter.

I spend the winter with a careful eye for the flashing amber light.

Have to say though that the correct grade of grit/salt should simply crumble on impact and not damage paint. If you are getting a lot of damage, its likely that what they are spreading is not the right stuff and you may have more cause for complaint on that basis.

AFAIK, the so called 10mm mesh is often removed because it causes blockages in the delivery system!

The delivery system is supposed to be set to direct the grit downwards and at the correct speed even a gritter coming towards you shouldn't cause too much of a problem. The reality is somewhat different though.

Looks like your gritter on the M4 was set way too high so it could cover all three lanes at once.

Yes, its better to get a few chips than to slide off the road (or worse) on ice, but that doesn't excuse the fact that too many councils cut corners to save time and cost.

Scott

Old 03 March 2000, 10:21 AM
Scott J Davies
Scooby Regular

Happend to me a few years ago in my TVR going over the M62. Paint chips every where, the stupid thing was that the sun was shining and the roads were dry.

Letter of complaint swiftly went in to the local council along with a quote for the work and a picture of the road conditions (had a camera with me at the time) and I was swiftly paid. Cool.

Complain your socks off